Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

+ Reply to Thread
    Carseat Crazy

Going shopping today and need some quick advice

First off we are in Canada.

My cousin asked me to go carseat shopping with her today for a new seat for her son. He is currently in a graco infant seat that is due to expire in December (she borrowed it from her sister that she had since new and used for her two kids, acceptable given we know the history).

He is 4 months old, weighs 14lbs, is 25" tall with a 13" torso. Mom is nearly 6' tall and somewhere between 180-200lbs yet dad is shorter at 5'5' and fairly lean so who knows where he will fall in the genetics map down the road.

He is their only child and they drive a Mazda 3.

I have on my list of seats to check out:
    -TrueFit ~ is the premier worth the extra?
    -Marathon ~ anyone have any experience with the new ones how different are they.
    -My Ride ~any reviews on this seat?
    -Complete Air ~ it shows 2 versions regular and LX, what is the difference?
    -Radian XTLS ~ I am concerned about install ~ anyone installed this beast in a Mazda 3?

Can you please rate these seats in order of which you like best and tell me why.

I know of course it goes with out saying that they are all good and they best choice is the one that fits the child best, installs well, and can be used correctly 100% of the time.

Thanks!
    Last edited by momto2princes; 10-03-2010 at 10:43 AM.
    Jasmyne

T ~ 7.8yrs ~ 48lbs ~ Skurvy Oobr Booster
    L ~ 4.6yrs ~ 35lbs ~ FF Frontier (harnessed)

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Admin - CPST Instructor wendytthomas's Avatar

Re: Going shopping today and need some quick advice

Moved to the Canadian forum.

Wendy
    wendy, cpst-i mom to
    piper, 7/26/02, 62", 108#, seatbelt, driving her own car
    laine 9/16/09, 54", 96#, Nuna Aaces, Diono Solana 2
    in my husband's 2018 Toyota Land Cruiser, my 2017 Volvo XC90, and big sister's 2016 Honda Civic
    https://www.car-seat.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=1353&dateline=1552329  785

Those are all really good seats. There's no one better than the other, it's just what you prefer, but that is an excellent list of great seats.

I have a Truefit for my son in the grandparents car, it's a really nice seat and easy to install. It rear-faces to 35 lbs.

I have Radians for my kids in my own car, and I didn't find them hard to install but they are very tall seats. What I like about them is the high rear-facing limit, my son should be able to stay rear-faced in his Radian til he's 4 yrs old, hopefully.

The other seats I have no personal experience with other than seeing them in friends' cars but they are all popular seats used by people who know a lot about car seats so your best bet is to see if they will let you take a seat out the car and see how it will fit, take them out of the boxes and try out the harnesses, put the baby in them if you can and just pick the one she thinks she will find easiest to use for the baby and to install in her car.

Great job with the list of seats!!

If that torso measurement is accurate you're going to want a tall seat! I would be looking at the True Fit, the Complete Air, and the Radians. Weight wise he sounds pretty average right now, so I would think any one of those three seats should be good. I would skip the MyRide and the Marathon though, because their shells are a lot shorter than the three I mentioned, so they wouldn't be able to keep him rear-facing as long.

Heather ~ CRST ~ mom to...
    S ~ Harmony nbb, K ~ Parkway SG
    M ~ Radian XTSL, S ~ Fllo
    T ~ June 4, 2016 ~ Boulevard G4.1

Moderator - CPST Instructor QuassEE's Avatar

Agreed that you already have a great list--I think it'll come down to the one that fits best in the car, and you think they'll have the easiest time using Unfortunately, you're looking at going to at least two different stores to try them all!

-N.

Abbi (9, Ozzi/Olli), Aiden (11, Affix), Mason (16), & Kyle (18) in '02 Protege5 & '11 Ody TE.
    It's like free money...Couponsurfers.com

Quote Originally Posted by featherhead View Post
    If that torso measurement is accurate you're going to want a tall seat! I would be looking at the True Fit, the Complete Air, and the Radians. Weight wise he sounds pretty average right now, so I would think any one of those three seats should be good. I would skip the MyRide and the Marathon though, because their shells are a lot shorter than the three I mentioned, so they wouldn't be able to keep him rear-facing as long.
    exactly this. We just went to check out the new MAs and the shell is pathetically short in comparison to the Radian and TrueFit. The extra 5lbs isn't that great when you have a 30lb 36.5" 2 year old.

I was pretty intimidated buying a Radian because "they're bears to install" but I had no issue installing them RF in both my Jetta and Ford F150, with latch and with the lap and shoulder belts. Don't be intimidated by this seat, it's not THAT SCARY!!!

Unregistered

Thumbs up Re: Going shopping today and need some quick advice

i as well have a 4 month old, 17 pounds.. we bought a graco my ride and we lovee it, very soft and he fits very well and it fits in my car very nice. he is corfortable in this chair. i like to be able to see my baby when i look back like his infant one u can see and i wasnt ready to give that up and in my 4 door sunfire i can stil peek over the top of this seat, which i love . i do also have a mirror that i can see perfectly too. and a bonus it rear faces to 40 ppounds in canada too. i tryed the true fit and i didnt like how he fit in it, but its neat that the headrest can stay off till they are 22pounds like the infant seat.