Rogue, Sportage, Tucson, Rav4, or Mazda5?

Hollyob

So I did searches on all these and have gleaned some useful info, but I wanted to ask for help for our specific situation.

DS1 is 6.5 and rides harnessed in a GN. I would be fine with him riding in a booster, either the GN in booster mode or in a Turbo (he's currently harnessed b/c he can't fasten himself in a booster due to our floppy Focus seat belt stalks). DS2 is 3 and rides RF in an XT (old, not SL). I would like to keep him RF until age 4, which would be next June. If DS1 moves to the Turbo, then we'd probably put DS 2 in the GN when he turns 4, so I don't know that installing the XT FF will ever be an issue.

We need to be able to drive a 3rd adult around once in a while, usually my mil, who is short-ish. I am thinking we will have decent back seat space with the Turbo and XT. The boys currently both ride outboard, so they can't touch each other, but one could certainly be put in the center when my mil rides with us if need be. We have not yet driven anyone else's kid around, but I suppose it would be handy to be able to put 3 carseats in (one harnessed, 2 boosters, most likely). I know we could do that in the Mazda5, but could we in any other car?

What issues do we need to consider? We are looking at 2010s, except for the Sportage (2011). I have read about the RAV4 back seat seatbelts, but it sounds like that might not be an issue for a 2010. Is that right? It seems that everyone here :love: the Mazda5, which is very appealing.

We have ruled out many, many other cars, so please only suggest another car if you REALLY think it is a great option for us. We want to spend $21,000 or less and will not settle for a city MPG below 20 (these are all 21 or better). We are only looking at cars with pretty good (my phrasing) or very good safety ratings.

TIA!!

ADS

Defrost

Moderator - CPSTI Emeritus
If you go with the Mazda 5, you'd have to re-arrange seats when your MIL was with your, or else have her climb over seats to get to the 3rd row (or keep one kid permanently in the 3rd row, I suppose.) Of course, if it was just a case of moving the booster to the back, that wouldn't be a big issue.

The buckle stalks in the 3rd row are floppy, so your son would have trouble buckling a booster there. If it was just a sometimes-issue, though, it's easy enough to open the back hatch and help him buckle. (The buckle stalks are fixed in the 2nd row.)

Bonus, though - two kids in the 2nd row can't touch each other LOL!

In any case, I'd definitely put the Mazda 5 your test-drive list. :thumbsup:

Hollyob

Thanks Defrost!
My dad had already warned me about an adult sitting in the 3rd row, so yeah, we'd just move one kid back there.

We spent the last 2 Saturdays looking at cars, and DH drove the Mazda5. I didn't drive b/c he wants a stick and I haven't driven one in ages. I can re-learn, of course, but I didn't want the sales guy to get whiplash from my driving. If we get the Mazda, I'll just practice until I get it right again. I trust DH's judgment of how it drives. And he did like it. We had the boys with us and they LOVED the 3 rows of seats. I'm thinking this is the frontrunner. And we can get it at invoice cost b/c my dad is retired from Ford :thumbsup:

Any advice from anyone else out there?

Jeanum

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Staff member
Unless the RAV4 was redesigned for 2010/2011, and to my knowledge it wasn't, then the overlapping seatbelt buckle stalk issue for the second row driver's side and second row center is a big thumbs down as it prevents using both of those seating positions simultaneously. The RAV4's third row option is a possible work around, but it's a smallish 2-seater third row and I believe the third row lacks top tether anchors.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC