2008 Honda Civic

aunt83me02

Senior Community Member
So--my husband's 1996 Cavalier is biting the dust. We're looking at an 08 Civic (27k miles). We live in the midwest and have had some pretty hefty winters the last 2-3 years. I have seen mostly good reviews for reliability, performance, etc. (good IIHS ratings!) but some people have mentioned weird issues with having to replace brakes frequently and some mentioned issues with winter driving. Any thoughts? Our other car is a 2002 Taurus.

Any opinions are appreciated!

*added: we don't have kids yet but would like to add to our family in the next 2-3 years. Seats I have for nieces and nephews are a older Radian 65 (ff for now), Safeguard Go, old style Britax Parkway, Safety 1st Uptown, Fisher Price SVD booster.

Last edited:
ADS

Patriot201

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
I have a 2006 Civic, which is the same car.

I have NEVER replaced the brakes (though I think I need to do so soon. The car is almost five years old... I guess it is time.). I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE my car. I haven't had any issues at all. None.

Seats I have for nieces and nephews are a older Radian 65 (ff for now), Safeguard Go, old style Britax Parkway, Safety 1st Uptown, Fisher Price SVD booster.

THe Civic is a DREAM to install seats in. Every one of the seats you listed above will fit like a glove. :)

aunt83me02

Senior Community Member
So far I've only tried the Parkway (great fit outboard, turned the headrest around) and the Radian. I could only get it installed with LATCH outboard. Are there tricks to install FF with the seatbelt? I tried all the tricks I know (twisting the buckle, trying to pull it forward a little, recline foot down, etc.). I love driving it! Fortunately my niece is only about 35-36lbs (old 33lb Radian) so we won't need the seatbelt for a while but would be nice to install in the middle with the seatbelt.

Thanks!

Pixels

I have an 02 Civic, which is the previous generation. I've replaced the front tires (rear are original, still have decent tread), the front brakes twice (once due to vehicle inspector not re-assembling it properly and I didn't realize it until the damage was done :mad: and once due to rusting during extended non-use when the car was in the body shop for over a month), and had body work done following collisions twice. I did need to replace a chip or something, I don't remember exactly, but it was in the fuse box under the hood and easily done once diagnosed. Other than that, I've had 6 oil changes and a transmission fluid change, and that's it.

Winter driving in the Civic is fine. I'd rather drive my Civic than my Dad's F350 any day in the snow.

The only carseat I've had a problem with in the car is the Radian. It took a year, but it over reclined RFing in the center. For forward facing, it takes all the tricks (and a knee): recline foot down, twist down the female buckle stalk, pull the seat out from the bight, and pull the shoulder belt through the velcro slit in the cover. Once you figure out the right combination, it's not that difficult. It's just figuring out how to do it in the first place.

amyd

I have an 02 Civic, which is the previous generation. I've replaced the front tires (rear are original, still have decent tread)

Wow, those must be some good tires you got! I just put the 4th set of all seasons on my 04. I must be buying crappy tires...LOL.

I think we've replaced our brakes once.

About winter driving, I find the Civic handles very well in ice & snow conditions. Mine's a manual, which I find gives me better control since I can slow/stop without braking. We do make sure it has good quality snow tires too.

I haven't had any issues installing a Radian RFing or FFing in my Civic.

Patriot201

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
So far I've only tried the Parkway (great fit outboard, turned the headrest around) and the Radian. I could only get it installed with LATCH outboard. Are there tricks to install FF with the seatbelt? I tried all the tricks I know (twisting the buckle, trying to pull it forward a little, recline foot down, etc.). I love driving it! Fortunately my niece is only about 35-36lbs (old 33lb Radian) so we won't need the seatbelt for a while but would be nice to install in the middle with the seatbelt.

Thanks!

I have never had a single problem installing with the seatbelt. Weird! I do have to twist the seatbelt stalk a few times (one or two), but it fits like a glove. :confused:

cdncasper

I have an 08 Civic and love it. I have installed my Radians FF and RF with almost no problems at all. No issues with my brakes and winter driving is pretty good even with the ton of snow and ice we get here.

Patriot201

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
I just went to have the brakes replaced today; I needed new roters and pads. I also needed an oil change, a new battery, and a transmission fluid change. My Civic is a 2006 and has 30,000 miles on it. This was NOT cheap work to have done, but I should be good for a while, right?

Pixels

How frequently you need brakes depends a lot on your driving habits. If you do a lot of highway driving, obviously you're putting miles on without using the brakes. If you do a lot of city driving, you're using the brakes without much in the way of mileage. If you ride the brakes, you'll burn them up faster.

Oil change is routine maintenance. So is tranny fluid change (though mine wasn't due until 50,000 miles). Batteries tend to die after a set time period. 4-5 years is not unreasonable.

Let's see, should have been ~$200 for the brakes, $30 for the oil change, $75 for the battery, and $100-150 for the tranny fluid, if I'm remembering ballpark prices correctly. So somewhere in the vicinity of $500 total. No one thing is super expensive, but it all adds up. Oh wait, you have the newer generation, which has 4-wheel disc brakes, right? Double the amount I said for brakes. I have disc/drum.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC