Question preemie in TFP?

chelsi82

Hello!

In late July, we took advantage of the sale going on at diapers.com & rec'd 2 TFP's for our twins due Nov 8 of this year. Well, the girls surprised us :p

They are now 5 weeks old, 3 lb 11 oz & 3 lb 14 oz so far. Is it realistic to think that they might fit into the TFP's when they come home in 2-3 weeks, or should I return the TFP's and order 2 snugride 30's for them??

Any other suggestions, also?? I am NOT a bucket seat lover, either...and not a fan of Dorel :)

Thank you so much!!!

ADS
U

Unregistered

When my twins were born, before they could be discharged from the NICU, a staff member had to do a car seat check (this meant taking the car seats INTO the NICU) to make sure the babies were okay in them. Back then, I had the Peg Perego infant seats, so we just carried those in the day the babies were discharged. The True Fit has a minimum weight of 5 pounds, and depending on when your babies are discharged, they may hit the 5 pound mark. I'd check with the staff of the hospital staff to see if they are going to require to see the seats before.
Congratulations on your twins!

An Aurora

Senior Community Member
I would keep the TFP's for after the buckets are outgrown. I know you don't like Dorel, but the Safety 1st Onboard is a great seat, fits preemies very well and is around $100 at Target. I would use those until they are big enough for the TFP.

Louisa

CPST Instructor
no they will not fit. but...i second keeping the TFP's and might suggest asking if the hospital loans or knows if anyone in your area loans low birth weight seats.
in my area the hospital contacts a local tech and we take care of it
or you could call your local safekids and ask them too

Pixels

Most seats have a 5 pound minimum. If you're realistically looking at them coming home in 2-3 weeks, I doubt they will gain over a pound in that time. I don't think there are any convertibles rated below 5 pounds, so you are looking at infant seats.

The OnBoard comes in two versions, one with a 5 pound minimum and the other with a 4 pound minimum. The KeyFits and Chaperone are rated from 4 pounds. The Combi Shuttle 33 is rated from birth.

andre149

I agree with everyone else... keep the TF's for when they do fit into them, especially since you don't like buckets very much. I'm not a Dorel fan either, but I played with one of their new infant buckets and it was actually pretty nice :) I would go with those for them only because they're one of I think two seats that are rated 4lbs and up (most are 5lb) and the other one is the Chicco keyfit which is really pricey if you're not going to be using it for long.

cookie123

I've recommended this seat before. It used to be a little cheaper. But it's the 4 lbs lower limit, but not the air model. It's a pretty good deal.

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Safety-1st-onBoard-Infant-Proton/dp/B0038YY6IW/ref=sr_1_22?s=baby-products&ie=UTF8&qid=1286071212&sr=1-22"]Amazon.com: Safety 1st onBoard 35 Infant Car Seat, Proton: Baby[/ame]

Oh also, your kids will likely have a car seat test. So get seats, read the manual and have the car's manual handy when you install. You want to make sure you can get a good install before the car seat test, so you're all ready to go for it. Don't bother buying any aftermarket products to put in your seat. No snow suit type thing is needed either.

U

Unregistered

Thank you...

Do you think the new Snugride 30 rated from 4 lbs would fit well? I was kind of thinking about the Onboard 35 (4 lb) as suggested, but then saw this Graco :)

I really like the Keyfit except that I notice a chemical smell to the fabric. A friend of mine has one and after 2 years, there is STILL a chemical smell to it & that bothers me (and her) ... a lot.

chelsi82

Thanks... what I was looking at is the Graco Snugride 30 with a 4 lb minimum but I am not sure betw that & the Onboard 35 Air. Nowhere locally sells it, the only thing we have is the basic, basic 5 lb version-- if thats the same shell & base, I can try it out to how it fits in my car front-to back.

We drive a 1998 Volvo S70 as our main vehicle, and I am not willing to compromise the safety of my husband or I by eating dash in the front to accomodate a particular child seat if there are workable options availlable, kwim?? The Keyfit on its base barely fits behind the drivers' seat when my husband drives (he drives sitting upright)

ONe more question if I may...
We plan to keep our kids RF'ing till age 4, minimum. Assuming the TFP would have fit from birth, we were prepared to purchase new seats later on to accomodate one or both girls to that goal RF if we need to. I :love: the TFP, especially in the pink polka dot pattern we have, but is it really cost-effective to keep them if we will have infant seats anyway & may have to buy a higher RF weight limit seat or 2 later on?

cookie123

Is the Snugride 30 available? I didn't know it was out yet. I would probably keep the TFPs. They are a good long lasting seat for rear and forward facing. The only thing that might be a problem is the rear facing weight limit.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
The SnugRide 30 is only at Babies R Us right now-- I'm not sure if the non-travel-system version has hit stores yet. It IS designed to really fit a 4 lb. baby well, and should work, if you can get it. But having to buy the stroller with it would be a deal-breaker, for me... So I'd only do it if the stand-alone seat is now available (haven't checked lately.)

Spam

The snugride30 is available at b'rus online now and instock. I would also keep the tfp. They could last you to four. Being premies, they will most likely always be on the smaller side and you probably won't need a 40lb rfing seat to make it to four. The tfp has a super tall shell so they shouldn't outgrow it by height either. I'd keep them. I'd get the SR30 for now. I really like the girl print :) Congrats!

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
Yep, same seat. The seat will be available at different trim levels for different prices, and will likely have different styles of head support at those different levels. :)

Be aware it will ship with the harness and crotch straps on the second seat of slots and loops-- you'll need to move them both down/in and also to the "preemie" set of loops to adjust for smaller babies. :) There should be directions on how to do this in the instruction manual.

And if that head/body support doesn't fit well/interferes with proper fit, remove it (used rolled blankets for support instead if needed.) The seat passed testing without the insert and it is not required at any weight.

eyeslkethesky5391

Senior Community Member
Thank you...

Do you think the new Snugride 30 rated from 4 lbs would fit well? I was kind of thinking about the Onboard 35 (4 lb) as suggested, but then saw this Graco :)

I really like the Keyfit except that I notice a chemical smell to the fabric. A friend of mine has one and after 2 years, there is STILL a chemical smell to it & that bothers me (and her) ... a lot.

I messed around with the snugride 30 today at BRU and I love it! I have to have a c-section 3 or 4 weeks before my due date so I was looking into car seats with smaller weight limits and this one fits my bill. The new mirabella one just got released at BRU thats the one i'm choosing for my little girl. The bottom slots are really low and Its only 120 dollars vs the keyfit that is 180

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
Yep, they are really designed to fit a 4 lb. preemie well, right down to the extra loops and the crotch slot that's only 5 cm out, as opposed to the "traditional" Graco one (also present) that's 5 inches out! It was designed with LOTS of input from CPSTs and NICU nurses (and expecially CPST NICU nurses. ;) )

cat mommy

They absolutely can grow 1.5 pounds in 2-3 weeks at that age. But...there's no guarantee that they will. My DD was over 5 pounds when she was discharged, but DS was not. Since the Snugrides are available locally, you could wait and see whether they will fit into them.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC