LATCH in 2004 Chrysler Pacifica/RF True Fit in 3rd row?

U

Unregistered

Hello :)
I was wondering if the 2004 Pacifica has LATCH in the 3rd row? I had 2 nautilus' back there connected to something with LATCH, but just today realized it wasnt the same shape as the LATCH hookup in the 2nd row. So now I think Ive had it wrong this whole time. I went ahead and installed one Nautilus with the seatbelt and now want to rear face a True Fit back there, but I don't know if it will fit. My son is almost 18 months old and I would like to keep him RFing for as long as possible, but we just got a new booster (Complete Air booster) for my almost 6 year old and it says the middle of her head cannot be over the back of the seat. It does look like it goes past the back, so I need to switch her seat with my 18 month old. Can anyone give any advice on how I should do this? Is it ok to have her in the back or do I need to switch places?
I have a Nautilus back there already for my 3 1/2 year old so the True fit would have to fit back there with that. Would it be too hard to get a 18 month old in and out of the car if he was back there like that? It would be so much easier if I could just put my daughter in the booster back there, but Im worried that her head isnt in the right spot. I also have a baby trend infant seat in the middle row, so I cant fold any seats down for easier access.

I was also wondering if it is safe to put a Nautilus in the middle seat of a 2001 Nissan Sentra?
Right now I have it on the passenger side, but it looks really close to the window and that doesnt seem safe to me. I hope all that made sense!

Thanks!

ADS

Jeanum

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Staff member
Hi and welcome. :) The LATCH manual indicates there are no lower LATCH anchors in the Pacifica's third row. There's a top tether anchor on the third row driver's side, located on the back of the third row vehicle seat, but no lower LATCH anchors, so you definitely need to use the vehicle seatbelt for third row installations, and ideally use the third row driver's side for installing a forward facing harnessed carseat so that you can utilize the top tether anchor. Top tethering helps to reduce head excursion, the amount the child's head moves forward/beyond the carseat's protective shell during a crash.

While I can't specifically say for certain what rear facing carseats are compatible/accessible in the Pacifica's third row, I potentially foresee issues with using the third row for a rear facing carseat in terms of space and access. IIRC, the Pacifica's third row is pretty cramped and harder to get to but if you can manage to install the rear facing True Fit (TF) there, perhaps loading the kiddo from the cargo area would be workable for you. :twocents:

If the third row's vehicle seatback is above the top of your boostered daughter's ears, then you would definitely either need to have her ride in her Comfort Air booster to the second row, provided that the second row vehicle seatback or vehicle headrest is above the top of her ears when seated in the Comfort Air, or look into an non-Dorel branded highback booster for her to use in the third row. All Dorel branded highback boosters (Safety 1st, Cosco, Maxi Cosi, Eddie Bauer brands) have that vehicle seatback/headrest support requirement to provide proper whiplash protection during a crash, but highback belt positioning boosters from other carseat manufacturers do not have that requirement.

One more thing occurred to me to double check on your Nautilus installation in the Pacifica's third row since third row vehicle seating surfaces tend to be shorter in depth from front to back: Graco requires the base of the Nautilius to be 100% upon the vehicle seat without any overhang. Fingers crossed there's no overhang and you're able to continue to use the Nautilus back there. :)

Provided that you can achieve a proper installation in the center of the '01 Sentra with less than 1" of movement at the carseat's belt path, it's technically safer in terms of being farther away from a potential side impact collision. Nissan doesn't allow a center lower LATCH anchor installation if you're wondering about that, so you'd need to use the seatbelt to install in the center in the Sentra. Luckily the Nautilus is pretty installation friendly when it comes to seatbelt installations. :)

turtlemama

Thank you for the reply. I did go ahead and switch the seats back so that the TF was in the 2nd row, but now I will have to figure something else out. I tried her booster in the second row and while the headrest does fit behind the booster head rest, it also pushes it forward about 2 1/2 inches so that there is a big gap between the seat belt positioner area and the seat of the car. I didn't think that would be good so now I dont know where to put the seats. The nautilus does hang over maybe half an inch, I didnt know that was bad. I'm thinking I will have to go to a seat check place if I can find one and have them sort it out for me.
I wish I would have known about the third row not having latch because I had them latched in for the past 8 or so months. That would have been really bad if we got in a wreck!
I tried to fit the TF rearfacing in the 3rd row, but it wouldnt fit. I also couldnt get the locking clip thing to close when I tried installing it FF with the seatbelt.

I don't think I would be able to buy another booster since I just got this one a couple days ago and had to really bug my husband to let me get it. I dont think he will go for getting another one.

turtlemama

Also I was intending to get a Marathon 70 when my baby got too big for his infant seat, would that be a good seat to get for the 2nd row? I've never had a Britax before so I don't really know what to expect.

Jeanum

Staff member
If you're in the vicinity of a Babies 'R Us (BRU) store, most BRUs will allow you to try out display model carseats in your vehicle in the store's parking lot if you leave your driver's license at the front counter and that could help you determine if there's another convertible carseat workable rear facing in your third row or second row, as well as explore alternative booster models. Once a baby is beyond the newborn/younger infant stage where a rear facing recline angle of 45 degrees is necessary to maintain a baby with limited head control's airway, you can install a rear facing convertible more upright to see if that helps with the fit in the third (or second) row. If you haven't already tried it, the True Fit allows installations as upright as 35 degrees for rear facing, while other convertible models allow as upright as 30 degrees rear facing beyond the floppy headed newborn stage. The newer Britax "70" convertibles generally do seem to take up somewhat less space rear facing than their previous versions, so that could possibly help you out and ideally you could try one of those out at BRU or possibly at a baby boutique store in your area, too. Barring that, I'm hoping someone with a Pacifica or experience installing in one can chime in with further rear facing and booster suggestions for you. :) You may also be able to return the booster for a refund or exchange if you've only had it for a few days due to the compatibility issues in your vehicle if you still have the receipt and/or box for it. :twocents:

On the Nautilus overhang, if the vehicle seatback can be reclined at all, you could try to recline it a notch or two and then bring it back upright as you tighten the Nautilus' installation to see if that helps to eliminate the 1/2 inch of overhang, and also try experimenting with the Nautilus' own recline adjustment foot on the front of its base to see if that makes a difference with the overhang.

turtlemama

I don't know how to get to the BRU closest to me, but I will look into trying to find out. So far (and I know it's not the best idea) I will be able to get a Monterey that I found on craigslist for $60. I know it's frowned upon to buy used seats, but the lady assured me that it was never in a crash and is in great condition. I don't really know what else I could do. Dh already had a fit about me wanting to return the new booster. He doesn't understand why I cant just use it anyway. He also thinks I'm crazy and says if it was up to him they would be in adult belts by age 4, after all, that's how we were raised and we did fine, blah blah.
His mother put my kids in backless boosters with the lap and shoulder belts under both armrests and then add to that, the shoulder belt was under their armpits. My oldest two are 3 and 5. I was so mad! I can see where he gets the idea that it is fine though.
Anyway, I haven't tried to work with the Nautilus' yet, but will be putting DD's back in the 3rd row once I have the Monterey to go in DH's car. I have the TF back in the second row now RF. Now I'm noticing a loose fit on the Flex Lock base for my 4 month old and cannot get it any more tightened. I don't know how to use the seatbelt for that and can't find the user manual. When I tried using the seatbelt for it in DH's car one time it was horribly loose, so I'm pretty sure I did something wrong.

Does anyone know where I could find a tech in the Hampton Roads area (VA) hopefully in Portsmouth? I would feel much better if I could have someone help me with these seats that knows what they are doing. I thought I knew enough about it, but after having them latched to just the seat and not actual LATCH hooks for so long, I feel really bad and don't know if I have any of it right.
I've seen people putting pics on of installs and asking for critiques, would I be able to do that, or should I just find a tech?
Thanks again for your advice!

turtlemama

Also, are top tethers required for FF harnessed seats? My third row passenger doesn't have one so I haven't had DD's seat tethered, I thought it was optional?
If it is required, is there a way to get a tether point installed? Why isn't there one there to begin with?

Jeanum

Staff member
You can download the Flex Loc's manual from Baby Trend's site at http://www.babytrend.com/cgi-bin/searchmanual.pl For hands on help from a certified child passenger safety technician, there's a link to the Safe Kids technician locator and a list of car-seat.org member technicians by state who are willing to help in person in the post at: http://www.car-seat.org/showthread.php?t=59135 You could also upload photos to a photo hosting site like photobucket.com and post the links to your photos here for us to have a look, but hands on would be optimal.

Top tethering isn't required by most U.S. forward facing harnessed carseats when installed with the vehicle seatbelt, but it's optimal to do so when possible to reduce head excursion if the vehicle seating position has a top tether anchor. Retrofitting an additional third row top tether anchor isn't possible in the Pacifica per the LATCH manual, though, and this is sadly pretty typical of vehicles that are already equipped with some top tether anchors in some seating positions, unfortunately. Most new passenger vehicles sold in the U.S. market are required to have 3 factory top tether anchors since approx. the 2000/2001 model year, and anything beyond the required 3 tether anchors is at the voluntary discretion of the vehicle manufacturer in models with more than 3 rear seating positions. It's a darn shame that vehicle manufacturers aren't required to provide tether anchors beyond the 3 required tether anchors for every rear seating position in vehicles with third rows. I mean hello, those third row equipped models are generally vehicles marketed to families and used with children's carseats, yet many just have the 3 required top tether anchors and no more :mad: It's a huge peeve/vent of mine and many other child passenger safety advocates, techs, and parents. :(

turtlemama

thanks, I will take a look at those links. I saw on here that someone else was having the same problem I was with the infant seat base in that the anchor plate things are too close to the base, so it wont be able to tighten any further. I was thinking I should put a rolled up towel under it and see if that takes up slack, but I didnt know how compression and such works on that, so I dont know if I can do that or not.

So far the lady with the Monterey has not replied back to meet up so Im seeing that go out the window. I was thinking maybe I could trade my Complete Air Booster on here if someone was willing. It is brand new, I've only had it for about a week. It is the pink and black one.
I don't know what to trade it for though. Something of equal value would be preferable since my hubby would throw a fit if it wasnt the same :(

That really sucks about the tether points, and I agree that it should be mandatory on seats that would hold a child restraint.

Jeanum

Staff member
Yes, you can definitely send a PM to the tech in your area on the car-seat.org member list of techs. It's a given that anyone on that list is agreeable to being contacted via PM to help out. :thumbsup:

Just another FYI, you're probably not aware of the forum's Swap guidelines as a newcomer here, but posts discussing selling/swapping seats or other items outside of the forum's dedicated Swap area aren't allowed and are subject to editing or deletion by moderators. :eek: Here are details about the forum's Swap guidelines and info. on the two means for gaining access to post new threads in the Swap area, by either supporting car-seat.org, or over time through post count and earning reputation points for helpful posts: http://www.car-seat.org/showthread.php?t=38149 I'd still encourage trying out other seats/boosters in your Pacifica and consider returning the booster since it's so newly purchased if it's not working out in your car.:twocents:

turtlemama

Yeah I noticed the swap thing after I wasn't able to make a post on there lol. I did go ahead and return the booster and went ahead and got a Harmony Dreamtime Deluxe for her. I took some pictures of the fit because Im not sure if it fits her right. They are on my facebook. Can I post a link to that here?

I also figured out how to get the infant base tight so that problem is fixed for now, but I still cannot get either of the Nautilus' completely on the seat. Also I don't know if the third row has the locking seatbelts. I tried pulling them all the way out and letting back in, but that didnt do anything.
I will send a PM to the tech in my area. Does it cost anything for a seat check?

Jeanum

Staff member
Most techs don't charge for their help but you'd have to verify that with the specific one you're contacting to be certain about his/her policy. You can link to your photos on facebook if they're publicly viewable there I think (I'm not sure how that works exactly on FB because I'm not active there myself, lol) or you can try using a free hosting site like photobucket and posting the photo links.

It's possible that your Pacifica has locking latchplates instead of seatbelts that can be locked at the shoulder belt retractor, or possibly some that lock at the retractor for some seating positions only, and others that lock at the latchplate in other seating positions. They should be lockable one way or the other, though, because vehicles have been required to have belts capable of locking for carseat installations since about the 1996 model year. :) Here's a link to a very helpful primer on seatbelt types to help you determine how your seatbelts lock: http://carseatsite.com/lockingclips.htm

Jeanum

Staff member
Your link prompts for a login so it's either not public or only viewable if one has a FB login. :eek:

turtlemama

Dang, Ok Ill try something else.

Does this work? Sorry they are so blurry, I was using my cell phone.

Also the tech in my area is lynsgirl, does she come on often?

Last edited:

Jeanum

Staff member
Hi, Lynsgirl is around here semi-regularly as far as I know. (Weekends do tend to be slower here in general, FWIW). How old is your DD in the booster and how much does she weigh? She's a cutie pie. :) The booster headrest appears to be a tick or two too low relative to the midpoint of her head and the shoulder belt guide appears to be resting directly on her shoulder instead of above her shoulder. Raising the headrest up a notch or two should remedy the headrest and shoulder belt guide positioning. The lap belt looks okay from what I can see. :twocents:

turtlemama

Thanks! She is 5 years and 8 months and 47lbs, 43 inches tall.
I will go out and fix the headrest when my husband gets home!

I also had some questions regarding which seat to get for when my baby gets too big for his infant seat, but I didnt know if I should post another thread or ask here? I originally wanted the Marathon 70 but it doesn't look like that would last as long as I want it to, so now I'm thinking of getting a Radian 80 and putting my 18 month old in that and my baby in the TF until he reaches 35 lbs, then switching my 18 month old (he should be lots older by then hopefully) back to the TF to FF and putting my baby in the Radian to RF. Does that sound good?

Carrie_R

Ambassador - CPS Technician
I commented on your facebook pic, partially for you and mostly for your friend who commented to you. :)

I think your plan with the Radian and TF sounds good. As for finding a tech, are there others who are near-ish to you that you could try to contact, too? You might find someone willing to meet you halfway -- I know I'd be happy to do that for someone. (Of course, Ohio to VA is a bit too far, even if my relatives would love a visit, ha ha!)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC