New car, new seat, new configuration...

Kiss Me Deadly

As I posted in a different thread, I just got a new (to me) car. It is a 2008 Mazda 5.

I currently have a 3 year old DD in a Britax Frontier, and an 18 month old DD RF in a Recaro Como.

We are expecting baby #3 to arrive in March '11. I am trying to decide which seat to buy, and where to put everybody...

I'm fairly certain I want the Combi Shuttle or the Coccoro. I'm just needing advice for other moms of 3 or more small children as to whether the bucket is more convenient or more of a hassle...

Next, I want to know if I should move my oldest to the 3rd row and put the younger 2 in the 2nd row seats? I really can't imagine the hassle it would be to get a new born out of the 3rd row, and my 3 year old can get in and out of her seat, I just have to buckle it for her...

ADS

JerseyGirl'sMama

As I posted in a different thread, I just got a new (to me) car. It is a 2008 Mazda 5.

I currently have a 3 year old DD in a Britax Frontier, and an 18 month old DD RF in a Recaro Como.

We are expecting baby #3 to arrive in March '11. I am trying to decide which seat to buy, and where to put everybody...

I'm fairly certain I want the Combi Shuttle or the Coccoro. I'm just needing advice for other moms of 3 or more small children as to whether the bucket is more convenient or more of a hassle...

Next, I want to know if I should move my oldest to the 3rd row and put the younger 2 in the 2nd row seats? I really can't imagine the hassle it would be to get a new born out of the 3rd row, and my 3 year old can get in and out of her seat, I just have to buckle it for her...
What are your kids stats?

I don't have 3 kids, but I can tell you that a bucket seat was not convenient for me with 2. I LOVED my Moby wrap and wore my baby in that all the time so I had my hands free for my 3 year old. If you live someplace where it is going to be really cold in March then it might be convenient for you to have the baby in a bucket seat, where you could secure him into the carseat inside the house. I just found that it was too hard to carry a bucket with a baby in it and hold onto my 3 year old's hand. I could have used a stroller with the infant seat, but I never did. It was so much easier to wear him in the Moby. He was happier with that too, since babies really shouldn't spend time in their carseats unless they are in the car.

You could always look at getting a Radian. It fits most newborns quite nicely and is very narrow, so you might be able to get a 3 across with that seat. I had no problems in my MDX getting a Frontier, RFing Radian, and a RFing Signo in the 2nd row.

Hope that helps some. :)

Pixels

You could always look at getting a Radian. It fits most newborns quite nicely and is very narrow, so you might be able to get a 3 across with that seat. I had no problems in my MDX getting a Frontier, RFing Radian, and a RFing Signo in the 2nd row.

Hope that helps some. :)

OP's vehicle is a Mazda5, which doesn't have any rows with three seats in it. :)

Defrost

Moderator - CPSTI Emeritus
I think I'd put the two older kids in the 3rd row and fold one of the 2nd row seats flat (assuming that's allowed - I haven't checked the manual.) I'd load the FR85 kid through the door on the folded-flat side, load the RF Como kid through the back hatch, and then have the baby in the 2nd row.

I, personally, despised infant seats by the time my 3rd kid was born, so he rode in a RF convertible pretty quickly (he was in a car bed for a while.) My fourth never even had an infant seat at all, she went straight into a RF convertible. I needed to carry her in a sling so I could have my hands free to deal with the toddlers/preschoolers!

I might also consider keeping the two oldest in the 2nd row and folding one of the 3rd row seats flat, and loading the baby in through the hatch - I might even consider getting an infant seat just for that purpose, but it would have to be a very special infant seat. ;) Loading through the hatch really isn't that much of a hassle - the "cargo" area (I call it the "rear glove box") is small it doesn't really make you lean much, and the car is nice & low to the ground.

Might even be possible to put the infant base in the 3rd row next to the FR85 kid, so he could "help" by replacing the baby's pacifier when it fell out, but that would depend on the kid, of course.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC