The cookie

Splash

Charlie had his pictures done Saturday morning. Our friends Mel and Jess brought their daughters Alice and Soren as well, and all the kids got pictures done.
Mel and Jess are normally really "good" about what they bring for Alice to eat, making sure it's Charlie safe (or as safe as it can be). This is not something we've asked them to do or expect them to do, it's just something they do because they're awesome.
So Al and Soren were getting their pictures done, and Charlie got a bag down off the shelf and I didn't think anything of it. It was stupid of me, I should have taken it from him immediately, but I didn't. Two minutes later Jess was digging in his mouth and wiping off his hands and saying he had a cookie from their bag and they hadn't checked it. She had her hands on his chest to make sure his breathing and heart rate were okay, and she was more on top of it than we were!
I went and got his epi-pens out of our bag, just in case, so I would have them immediately available. We went on with the pictures, keeping a close eye on him (anaphylaxis has up to a four hour window). Nothing happened. I watched him all the way home and one of us stayed in the bedroom the whole time he was napping. When he woke up, he seemed fine. We had to head to Tampa anyway to look at swingsets, and called Jess to see if she would like to go out for her birthday dinner (Mel was at work). She said she'd love to, but before we decided she was worth taking to dinner, she had to tell us that there were nuts and eggs in the cookies. They also had sesame, another one of his allergies, but I knew about the sesame already.
I wish I knew for sure whether or not he actually ate it. If he did, it could mean he's outgrowing some of his food allergies and/or he can handle the denatured protein. I want to get him tested again, but he's having his spot tests and oral challenges for antibiotics for the next several months, so I can't throw food testing in there, too.
But even if he didn't eat it, he touched it. It might have been under his fingernails, a tiny piece may have gotten in to his mouth, whatever. He had contact with a food containing eggs and nuts and nothing happened. It doesn't really change anything, but it's a hopeful sign.

ADS

hsjwmom

How scary for you! I'm so glad Charlie was OK. Maybe it was a blessing in disguise, though... You now have some hope that he is outgrowing some of his allergies! Even if you can't test right now, you can eventually, right? That really would be terrific!

Btw, how did the pictures turn out? :)

JaRylan

That got my heart thumping, I can only imagine how you must have been feeling. Good news though that he didn't react from it touching him, fingers crossed that he is outgrowing some allergies. Good luck with his other tests.

Can't wait to see the pictures.

mommy2jana

I'm so glad he didn't have a reaction! That could be a sign that he may outgrow some of his allergies! This kind of experience is exactly why I can't wait to have Jana's food allergies tested again! Her ENT is also an allergist, so when we go for her post-op appt tomorrow, maybe he'll let me schedule some testing.

Good luck to Charlie on his upcoming spot test and oral challenges!

Charlie had his pictures done Saturday morning. Our friends Mel and Jess brought their daughters Alice and Soren as well, and all the kids got pictures done.
Mel and Jess are normally really "good" about what they bring for Alice to eat, making sure it's Charlie safe (or as safe as it can be). This is not something we've asked them to do or expect them to do, it's just something they do because they're awesome.
So Al and Soren were getting their pictures done, and Charlie got a bag down off the shelf and I didn't think anything of it. It was stupid of me, I should have taken it from him immediately, but I didn't. Two minutes later Jess was digging in his mouth and wiping off his hands and saying he had a cookie from their bag and they hadn't checked it. She had her hands on his chest to make sure his breathing and heart rate were okay, and she was more on top of it than we were!
I went and got his epi-pens out of our bag, just in case, so I would have them immediately available. We went on with the pictures, keeping a close eye on him (anaphylaxis has up to a four hour window). Nothing happened. I watched him all the way home and one of us stayed in the bedroom the whole time he was napping. When he woke up, he seemed fine. We had to head to Tampa anyway to look at swingsets, and called Jess to see if she would like to go out for her birthday dinner (Mel was at work). She said she'd love to, but before we decided she was worth taking to dinner, she had to tell us that there were nuts and eggs in the cookies. They also had sesame, another one of his allergies, but I knew about the sesame already.
I wish I knew for sure whether or not he actually ate it. If he did, it could mean he's outgrowing some of his food allergies and/or he can handle the denatured protein. I want to get him tested again, but he's having his spot tests and oral challenges for antibiotics for the next several months, so I can't throw food testing in there, too.
But even if he didn't eat it, he touched it. It might have been under his fingernails, a tiny piece may have gotten in to his mouth, whatever. He had contact with a food containing eggs and nuts and nothing happened. It doesn't really change anything, but it's a hopeful sign.

wow thats scary!!! maybe he IS growing out of them though...i hope so.
miles is also allergic to peanuts and eggs , my friend gave him a peanut today at school and immediantly took it back but it did go in his mouth (why would u give a kid a nut anyway?) and hes had no reactions yet either , i have his epi pen ready though lol.
he goes back for testing in 3 weeks actually , i hope all of charlies testing goes well.

Morganthe

Congrats -- if Charlie actually managed to eat something he was so allergic to without a reaction. Too bad you don't know for sure. But he touched it and nothing happened where it used to before, so that's great too :D

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC