Question 3 across in a Grand Am?

MamaWoo

I am expecting my third child in February. We currently only have one car (Pontiac Grand Am), and cannot afford to get a new one at this moment. I am trying to find out if it is going to be possible to put three seats across. Right now my 15 month old is RFing in a Roundabout and my 2 and 1/2 year old is FFing in a Safety 1st All-In-One. I'm seriously thinking about turning my older son back around, though. I was hoping to find a bucket seat that would fit for the new baby, since I like being able to use the seat in the stroller and such. But, a convertible would save money in the long run, so either way works. Does anyone have any suggestions?

ADS

MomToEliEm

What year vehicle do you have? Is it a 2-door or 4-door model? Hopefully some members familiar with the vehicle will see your post and give you some carseat ideas.

Here is one thread I saw regarding 3-across in a Grand Am:
http://www.car-seat.org/showthread.php?t=41730

Here is the successful 3-across thread. Maybe looking through that thread will give you some idea of which seats work well next to each other:
http://www.car-seat.org/showthread.php?t=33226

Mae

I have a Grand Am, '04, 4 door. :)

I can fit three Radians (FF, RF, FF), I can also fit FF Radian, RF Radian, KF.

I could try some things out. I have a Graco Nautilus, True Fit, Alpha Omega, 2 (soon-to-be 3) Radians, KeyFit, Safe Seat 1 ...

I could try out some possibilities. Let me know what you decide regarding if your older son will be rear or forward facing. :)

Here is a picture of my back seat.

bab7db83.jpg

MamaWoo

It's a 2004 Grand Am 4-door. The backseat looks just like the one the previous poster has in her reply. I don't think we can afford the Radians at this moment. So, I'm hoping to only have to buy two seats, since we have to replace the Roundabout soon, and then a new one for the new baby.

That would be awesome if you would try out a few different possibilities with your other seats. Most likely my older son will stay FFing, since he has been for so long, I don't think he will like switching back. If it's the only way to fit them all, though, he'll just have to be turned back around. Thanks for the help.

Mae

It's a 2004 Grand Am 4-door. The backseat looks just like the one the previous poster has in her reply. I don't think we can afford the Radians at this moment. So, I'm hoping to only have to buy two seats, since we have to replace the Roundabout soon, and then a new one for the new baby.

That would be awesome if you would try out a few different possibilities with your other seats. Most likely my older son will stay FFing, since he has been for so long, I don't think he will like switching back. If it's the only way to fit them all, though, he'll just have to be turned back around. Thanks for the help.

Awesome, so we have the exact same car! What exactly is your budget? That could help me figure out what seats to put where.

If you bought your 2.5yo a Graco Nautilus, put your 15mo in the All-in-One, rear facing, then bought a smaller infant seat or small convertible, you could maybe pull that off.

Are you wanting to put the new baby into a bucket seat, or would you be willing to put him/her into a convertible straight from birth? Convertible seats are equally safe as an infant seat, you just want to be sure that the baby will fit. A lot of seats have too high of harness slots for newborns, but there are also plenty of seats that will fit newborns. Remember that you want the harness slot to be at or below shoulder level when rear facing, so that is what you look for.

Pixels

DH has a 99 (same style, same back seat), and a few different seats than Mae. If it ever stops raining and I get a chance, I can play.

MamaWoo

Our budget would be $150 or less per seat, preferrably. I am leaning toward a bucket for the newborn, but I am not dead set on that. I will need one that holds very small babies, since my babies are normally 5-6ish pounds at birth.

I am wanting to replace the Roundabout in the next month, then save up for the new baby's seat. So, I'm trying to plan it all out now so I don't regret my purchase in the long run and end up stuck with a seat/seats that don't work in my car. Thanks, again.

sunnymw

When are you due?

I'd get the Nautilus first (if it fits) and put your 15mo in the AIO RFing... then save up for the infant seat. Get one of the taller shelled narrow ones that goes to 30-35lbs... many are under $150 for sure and then you'd have 12-18 months or more to save up for whatever seat you'd get to replace that. :)

MamaWoo

I have a Grand Am, '04, 4 door. :)

I can fit three Radians (FF, RF, FF), I can also fit FF Radian, RF Radian, KF.

I could try some things out. I have a Graco Nautilus, True Fit, Alpha Omega, 2 (soon-to-be 3) Radians, KeyFit, Safe Seat 1 ...

I could try out some possibilities. Let me know what you decide regarding if your older son will be rear or forward facing. :)

Here is a picture of my back seat.

bab7db83.jpg

I was going to ask if you would mind trying the Nautilus, Alpha Omega (I think this is very similar to the All-In-One I have), and the Safe Seat. And, also the True Fit, Alpha Omega, and the Safe Seat.

I think it's going to come down to the Nautilus or True Fit to replace the Roundabout, and I'm looking at the new Snugride 35 for the baby. Is the Safe Seat similar in size to the Snugride?

Mae

I was going to ask if you would mind trying the Nautilus, Alpha Omega (I think this is very similar to the All-In-One I have), and the Safe Seat. And, also the True Fit, Alpha Omega, and the Safe Seat.

I think it's going to come down to the Nautilus or True Fit to replace the Roundabout, and I'm looking at the new Snugride 35 for the baby. Is the Safe Seat similar in size to the Snugride?

I can do that. I'll go play tonight. :)

The Safe Seat 1 and the Snug Ride 32/35's are essentially the same shape/size (they have different weight limits), but the Snug Ride 22 is completely different.

MamaWoo

Ok -- One other question.

Does your AIO have a base? Or is the base on yours removable?

Here is a thread explaning that some AIO/AO/AOE's have removable bases. http://www.car-seat.org/showthread.php?t=142618

Off to play car seats I go! Let me know so I can put the base back on my seat if I need. :)

It has a base, but we aren't using it right now. We can use it if we need to, I just figured we'd get more room without it.

And, to the other poster, I'm due late February. So, luckily we don't have to buy both seats at once!

Mae

Ok, here is what I've tried so far. I'll be honest and say that I'm not having much luck.

Safe Seat 1 = SS1
KeyFit = KF
Nautilus = GN
Alpha Omego = AO
True Fit = TF

Driver's Side : Center : Passenger side

SS1 : GN : AO

SS1 : TF (ff) : AO

SS1 : AO (rf) : GN

SS1 : AO (rf) : TF (ff)

KF : AO (rf) : GN

KF : AO (rf) : TF (ff)

KF : GN : AO

KF : TF (ff) : AO

GN : KF : AO

GN : SS1 : AO

GN : AO : SS1

GN : AO : KF

AO : SS1 : GN

AO : KF : GN

AO (rf) : GN -- These two just won't go next to each other

AO (rf) : TF (ff) -- Neither will these two.

And a whole bunch of others.

Basically, the bucket seats either won't pop into the base, or there just isn't enough room. And the "bigger" seats (TF, AO, GN) don't fit next to each other. And I believe I've only had one combination where the SS1 would snap into the base next to the GN, but then I couldn't fit another seat (AO/TF) on the other side of the center GN. They just don't "mesh" well together.

I'll keep trying. :(

sunnymw

I guess I should have noted eons ago (SORRY MAE!!!) that if the GN and RN don't puzzle together in a HUGE backseat like mine... (RF/FF) then maybe they just aren't puzzleable... ever...

62895_1609709123813_1268768475_31703744_1946837_n.jpg

Pixels

Mae, is that listing everything that you tried, and didn't work? I'm not clear from your post. You list a whole bunch of combinations, but then say that you're not having much luck.

MamaWoo

Mae, is that listing everything that you tried, and didn't work? I'm not clear from your post. You list a whole bunch of combinations, but then say that you're not having much luck.

I was wondering the same thing. I am hoping that at least ONE combo worked! Ugh, that's so frustrating. I knew this wasn't going to be easy to find three that would work. If I had to buy one Radian, would it be possible?

Mae

Yeah, none of those would work.

Like I said at the bottom, they just don't work well together.

I didn't try around with the Radian too much. I suppose I could go to SIL's house tomorrow and steal her SS1 again and try some things out.

MamaWoo

Just wanted to check back and see if Mae (or anyone else) was able to make anything work. Again, if you can play around some more using one Radian in place of the Nautilus or True Fit that would be awesome! I wish I had a Babies R Us close by since they let you try them out, but we're out in the country! Thanks for all the help. I really appreciate it.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC