Another alignment question....please help!

Amaris

DH was calling around to get quotes for the alignment that our 03 odyssey needs (yep, it's taken us a bit to get to it). The going rate seems to be about $70......but he called the Honda dealership to get an idea of what they charge and they said $99, but it's for a 4 wheel alignment. What's a 4 wheel alignment, and is it something we might need? How would you know? I thought the rear wheels just kind of followed the front ones since it's front wheel drive! We are trying to get everything done this week so we can visit family a few hours away for easter, but now I'm not sure what we really need!

ADS

TheRealMacGyver

Copy and pasted from: http://www.familycar.com/Alignment.htm

There are two main types of 4-wheel alignments. In each case, the technician will place an instrument on all four wheels. In the first type the rear toe and tracking is checked, but all adjustments are made at the front wheels. This is done on vehicles that do not have adjustments on the rear. The second type is a full 4-wheel alignment where the adjustments are first made to true up the rear alignment, then the front is adjusted. A full 4-wheel alignment will cost more than the other type because there is more work involved.

I'm not totally sure, but I think most modern shops use four wheel alignment machines. Personally, for the extra $29, I think I would go to Honda.

southpawboston

$99 for a 4-wheel alignment is pretty typical, and not unreasonable, especially if it's coming from the dealer. and to echo macgyver, i would also go to the dealer since they know your car's suspension pretty well. some tire shop techs don't even know where to find the alignment adjusters on some cars. :rolleyes:

cars with independent rear wheels do in fact have to be properly aligned... they don't just follow the fronts. simpler set ups like solid axles are more fixed with respect to wheel angles, and there are few if any adjustments that can be made on them, but independent rear wheel suspensions such as on your odyssey do in fact have multiple adjustments that can be made. i would definitely recommend the 4-wheel alignment if you haven't yet had one on an 03 model year vehicle.

there is no real way of knowing if the alignment is truly off, but there are some telling signs such as abnormal tire wear patterns.

for $99, the dealer should be using a state of the art hunter alignment rack with laser guides, and should also be able to give you a printout of the alignment specs before and after the adjustments.

good luck!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC