Preschool/Kindergarten presentation

Angela

Any suggestions for a game or activity to do with Preschool/Kindergarten students about car seat safety? I'll be going in as an example of a community helper in my DS AK (alternative Kindergarten-for kids with summer b-days that aren't quite ready for Kindergarten yet) class. A class of 16 5 year olds. I know for sure that 3 kids (including mine) are in harnessed seats and about 5 are in boosters. The rest ride the bus, so I don't know. I'll only have about 10-15 minutes, but don't want the kids to get bored. Any suggestions?

ADS

andre149

Would it be possible to take in both a harnessed seat and a booster and teach them how to sit properly? Obviously you wouldn't have a seatbelt to use... but you could show them on a booster how they need to always sit back, where the belt should be, etc. Harnessed seat isn't really a positioning thing, but I might take it just to show the kids that are still in one it'd good :)

andre149

Hmm... what about some sort of a super easy car safety facts scavenger hunt (I'm assuming it would probably have to be done as a group with that age range).

I'm not sure how much financially is doable for you or if the school will cover any of it... but even a 2-3 spot scavenger hunt (much more they may lose interest) with little car facts and age appropriate "prizes" or kid safe candies for everyone?

I'm thinking something like send them to the book station in the room and say "You just dropped your book on the floor while riding in the car, is it ok to just reach down and grab it?"

autumnlily

My 4y10m old daughter's mantra is "snug as a hug". She will fuss until her caregiver makes her harness "snug as a hug"... not sure how that could play into your presentation - but I find it a good descriptive tool for kids (especially those who travel with me and get upset when I tighten the harness).

Defrost

Moderator - CPSTI Emeritus
Gypsy did a similar event this summer and I really liked what she did - she brought some adult-size t-shirts and had the kids put them on (over their clothes, of course) and then talked about how it was silly to expect a shirt made for an adult to fit them (and pointed out the ways the shirt didn't fit) and then explained that's why it was also silly to expect a seat belt made for an adult to fit them.

Angela

Awesome ideas! What about doing the t-shirt thing and have them do some type of activity to see how uncomfortable it is for them? Not sure what yet, but... This class is VERY active. They really need to be doing something active to keep them listening and involved. That's why I like the scavenger hunt idea too. hmmm... what to do? Any other suggestions so I REALLY can't make up my mind. ;)

Gypsy

Senior Community Member
This is my cheat sheet I made/used for Safety Town over the summer.

I had about 20 minutes and groups of 15-20 kids.

Who here rides in a car seat or booster in the car?
Every time?
Do you know what a booster seat is for?

It’s important to ride in your seat every single time you are in a car because accidents can happen at any time, even just a quick ride to the store, or grandma’s house.

When should you ride in your booster or car seat? “EVERYTIME!”
Does anyone know what seat belts do in an accident? Their biggest job is to keep you in the car.

EGG RAMP DEMO (shows how a seatbelt keeps you IN the car)
KIDS IN ADULT CLOTHES DEMO (shows how some things are made for adults, not kids)

Talk about how seat belts and air bags are designed for adults who fit into the clothes they're wearing, and how boosters help them fit properly into seat belts. Air bags can hurt children very badly, and children should always sit in the back seat until they are 13 years old.
Who uses safety harnesses? (race car drivers, window washers, rock climbers)
Why do they use them?
What would happen if a race car driver put it behind his back?
What would happen if a rock climber put it on their legs?
What happens in a car accident?

I’m going to show you a very special trick, something a lot of grown-ups don’t even know!
Stand up and feel your tummies, now your shoulder and hip bones.
Is your tummy soft or hard?
Are your shoulders and hips soft or hard?
Talk about how the seatbelt MUST fit over the strong/hard parts.

TWINKIE DEMO – what happens when the seatbelt is on the soft parts.

Teens weigh and measure kids

In Minivan Misuse Demos (belt under arm, behind back, kid in front seat in booster etc.) kids point out what’s wrong.

Angela

Wow, you really summed that up well! Do you mind if I steal some of it. ;) One question... What's the egg ramp demo?

Gypsy

Senior Community Member
Sure, use whatever you want :)

The egg ramp demo was a car on a ramp, the first time the car went down the ramp, it had an egg that was just sitting there, and when the egg hit the "wall" at the bottom of the ramp, the egg fell out and cracked open (I put the egg in a ziplock bag before putting it in the car), and the second time it went down, it was rubberbanded to the car, or seatbelted in.

I had a dozen eggs just incase they kept breaking, but I only had to break one per group.

soygurl

Someone posted a while ago about her child coming home from school after a car safety presentation with materiels from I'mSafe.com. They've got a lesson plan avaliable for free which includes song to sing with the kids, a "which seat is right for me" handout for kids and info handouts for parents (look for "Free Resources" on the bottom left). They also have a bunch of materiels you can order/buy if you have time to wait for shipping and funds avaliable. ;)
Another thing you can give to the kids is a coloring book about buckling up (the right way) that you can download and print at kidssafetyfirst.org. Just look under "Materiels Avaliable" and download #4.
HTH! :thumbsup:

Angela

This was EXACTLY what I was looking for. Not just for this presentation, but for events and other presentations I do.

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
I love the grown-up clothing idea. (I've always thought that would make a great PSA.)

To expand on that, maybe have the kids put on big shirts AND pants and have them do a relay race or something, so they can see just how uncomfortable and awkward it is.

Angela

What does everyone think about taking a booster (hbb or nbb?) and some seatbelt type webbing. Somehow attach the webbing to the seat where a seatbelt should lay and have the kids try it out.

Gypsy

Senior Community Member
What does everyone think about taking a booster (hbb or nbb?) and some seatbelt type webbing. Somehow attach the webbing to the seat where a seatbelt should lay and have the kids try it out.

That's a good idea.

I was able to use my van. I had a booster in one captains chair, and nothing in the other. I had kids come in one side, sit in the no booster seat buckled, then move to the other booster seat buckled and show them the difference in belt placement, and then they came out the opposite door they went in. It really worked well to have one after another sit in each seat and it kept it moving to have them come in one side and get out the other. I thought I'd be working inside initially and planned to take a booster inside, but I ended up doing my entire presentation outside, with my van right there.

Angela

That's a good idea.

I was able to use my van. I had a booster in one captains chair, and nothing in the other. I had kids come in one side, sit in the no booster seat buckled, then move to the other booster seat buckled and show them the difference in belt placement, and then they came out the opposite door they went in. It really worked well to have one after another sit in each seat and it kept it moving to have them come in one side and get out the other. I thought I'd be working inside initially and planned to take a booster inside, but I ended up doing my entire presentation outside, with my van right there.

That would be ideal! Unfortunately my vehicle is quite a bit smaller and there's no way I'd be able to get all the kiddos in and out with my car no getting trashed. :) Any suggestions on how to get a 'seat belt' attached to the booster to see where it fits?

Angela

I have an extra tether I could somehow attach to the booster, maybe. I'm sure I could round another one up somewhere for the other strap.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC