Oh Boy, Radian!

n0tsomuch

Hopefully, I'm ignorant on this issue. We managed to fit three across in my Mazda (two Radian XTSLs and a baby trend). Baby isn't here yet, but my 45'' tall, (15'' tall from seat to shoulder) daughter seems to have the harness at her shoulder -- almost below. :eek:

However, this is what I found about the XTSL.
Max child height: 53 "
Max 5-pt harness child height capacity: 49

I also read that due to the design of the seat, they can wear the harness below the shoulders forward facing? I've always heard this as being a no-no? What's going on here? Does anyone officially know the "rules" on height and harness position? Thanks.

ADS

Mae

First of all, if your child has a 15 inch torso, I doubt that daughter has outgrown it. While the height of the top slots vary among installations, I don't think it would vary that much.

Is it possible that the cover slots and the holes in the shell are not lined up? This happens a lot with the XTSL's due to the headwings. This could cause the harness to seem like it is coming out below her shoulders, when in fact, they are actually above her shoulders.

And yes, with only the Radian, you are allowed to continue use of the seat when the child's shoulders are above the top slots, as long as:

-The top of the ears are below the shell
-The total standing height of the child is no more than 53"

The direct quote from the manual:

Forward-facing: Straps should be in nearest slot at or above the level of the child's shoulders.

Note: When using the uppermost harness position, level of child's shoulders can be above harness slot as long as the child is proper height (see page 34).

Page 34:
Maximum Height:
Child is too tall for restraint if tops of the ears are above the back of the restraint OR if the child is more than 53" tall.

This only applies to the Radian. There is no other seat on the market that allows the seat to be used (forward facing) with the straps below the shoulders.

ownedbyhorses

My DS who Just turned 2yrs old is in an xtsl with a 15" torso. He is RF'ing. There is still another slot for the harness above him. I can't image your DD is almost out of room. I believe the Radians have a 17" top slot. I would think at that age, you will have some time left. :)
Also, I never go by anything that says Max height. It really bothers me that the manuals even say that. I am sure there are leggy kids that could be above that max height and still fit, and ones that are all torso that will outgrow it. I believe my 5yr old will outgrow the seat before he reaches 53". He is 47" now and his head is at the top of the shell.
If your child is the same torso height as my 2yr old, I would think your LO has plenty of growing room.
HTH
Best wishes

n0tsomuch

Yeah. I'm going to check this morning. I have my doubts about what I said too. Being pregnant makes me think extra hard about things -- and I forget things too as the added bonus. I'll go check. I am so glad about the harness below the shoulder thing. This car seat is a pain to install, but I am really falling in love with it.

Pixels

The second-to-top slots of the Radian measure about 15 inches, the top slots about 18 inches. Either your daughter doesn't have a 15 inch torso, or you've missed the top slots. :)

skylinphoto

My 4.5 year old has a 15 in torso and I just moved him up to the top slots because the harness (in the second to top slots) was below his shoulders just a tad.

I think you're missing the top slots due to the headwings or your kiddo has a longer torso.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC