Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

+ Reply to Thread

how old is this seat?

I was at dd's daycare and taking a look through the pile of boosters they have by the door for school pickup/dropoff and saw some questionable ones. Most are backless, one is one of the non-expiring (forget the name) evenflo ones, but without any padding.

The one I'm wondering about is a dorel 3-in-1 with no stamped "do not use after" date, and no DOM sticker that I could see. The RF limit is 20lb though, so I'm pretty sure it is beyond old. I told the daycare owner it's expired (she didn't know they do), but I'm just curious of anyone knows. Even if it is still usable, it makes a horrible booster anyways.
    Alice, May 2009, riding in a Frontier
    Astrid, May 2015, riding in a Snugride 30

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Re: how old is this seat?

Quote Originally Posted by amelia222 View Post
    I was at dd's daycare and taking a look through the pile of boosters they have by the door for school pickup/dropoff and saw some questionable ones. Most are backless, one is one of the non-expiring (forget the name) evenflo ones, but without any padding.

The one I'm wondering about is a dorel 3-in-1 with no stamped "do not use after" date, and no DOM sticker that I could see. The RF limit is 20lb though, so I'm pretty sure it is beyond old. I told the daycare owner it's expired (she didn't know they do), but I'm just curious of anyone knows. Even if it is still usable, it makes a horrible booster anyways.
    Did you look for it in the car seat pictorial? That might tell you when they were last made. http://www.carseat.org/Pictorial/0_PicLink.htm
    17yrs, 15yrs, 13yrs, 11yrs , 9yrs (58", 75lbs, Incognito), 7yrs (46", 50lbs, Dreamtime), 5yrs (41", 35lbs, RN), 3yrs (30lbs, RF Marathon), NB (Peg 4-35)
    '14 Mazda5, '06 Chevy Express, '08 Toyota Tundra

Re: how old is this seat?

Check the plastic molding for circles that look like dials. The dial will point to numbers. You should be able to date the seat by those. Dorel seats put the dom label on the side of the seat. I'd hazard a guess that the seat is expired. 9.5 years ago when I was buying a convertible seat for dd1, the dorel seats didn't ff until 22 pounds. (Not sure what the rfing limit was. I ended up with a century that rfed to 22 pounds.)
    Christine *mom* to

Dd1 age 17 (seatbelt), Dd2 age 15 (seatbelt), Ds1 age 14 (seatbelt), Dd4 age 12 (Seatbelt), Ds2 age 10 (Probooster), Dd4 age 7 (rstv), and dd5 age 1 (rfing Pria)