Handout at Health Department

Evolily

So, I was put in a peds room at my appointment today as they were very full. I spent about 45 minutes waiting, so to pass the time I decided to investigate the handouts for car seat information :whistle: .

Anyway, this is in one of the handouts for 2 1/2-3 y/o's

Safety Seats

Car accidents are the most serious threat to your child's safety. A child not in a safety seat could be hurt or killed by a sudden stop. No matter how tightly you hold him, he could be thrown for your arms by the force of the stop or collision. Even short trips at very low speeds could have a fatal ending.

Approved safety seats are required for your child until the age of three. After his third birthday, your child may either continue to use his safety seat or use the seat belt. However it is recommended that he use a safety seat until he weights 40 pounds. He may also be more comfortable and safer in his seat.

:eek:

I don't know what to say... I mean, I don't even know how to formulate a letter to address it. The second paragraph is complete wrong, legally and safety wise, and has been wrong for quite a while.

ADS

canadiangie

So, I was put in a peds room at my appointment today as they were very full. I spent about 45 minutes waiting, so to pass the time I decided to investigate the handouts for car seat information :whistle: .

Anyway, this is in one of the handouts for 2 1/2-3 y/o's

:eek:

I don't know what to say... I mean, I don't even know how to formulate a letter to address it. The second paragraph is complete wrong, legally and safety wise, and has been wrong for quite a while.

Is that info sourced in the pamphlet? Where did they come up with that?

That would be my first task. Find out the source, and then verify that it's not some cut/paste disaster... out of context, etc.

Seems like such an odd recommendation...

actually, the entire pamphlet being from age "2.5 - 3 years old" seems odd.

Evolily

It says something like "31-36 months". It's titled the "infant survival handbook", I'm assuming there are different ones for ndifferent age groups, but they only had this one if the room I was in. It lists who it's from (I don't have it nearby, but it looks like it's an extension office). Most of the information sounds good, it's just this is, well, :jaw:

Last edited:

mommy-medic

I would talk to the office manager. Or better yet, order a case of those handout/books from USAA and deliver them to the office. (They are free- no shipping or anything and arrive very quickly). Chances are they haven't given it any thought, and don't have a better alternative to give out. These are really good (wish they addressed ERFing, but otherwise great with lots of pics of correct/incorrect useage). We give these out at work, and I leave them in my car for windshield decorations on appropriate vehicles :whistle:

http://www.car-seat.org/showthread.php?t=112104

Evolily

Kids have to be in an appropriate properly used child restraint or booster until 8 (there may be a height exemption, IDK). It use to be 4, but they changed it on 2004. I don't know when it was 3, though...

Kobain's Mommy

I would talk to the office manager. Or better yet, order a case of those handout/books from USAA and deliver them to the office. (They are free- no shipping or anything and arrive very quickly). Chances are they haven't given it any thought, and don't have a better alternative to give out. These are really good (wish they addressed ERFing, but otherwise great with lots of pics of correct/incorrect useage). We give these out at work, and I leave them in my car for windshield decorations on appropriate vehicles :whistle:

http://www.car-seat.org/showthread.php?t=112104

Can anyone order them or just CPSTs? I could have used about 5 of these today at ToysRus. I saw a lady pull in with what looked like between 18month to two year old in a HBB. When I asked her about it her reply was "Well it's his brother's seat. I forgot to get his seat out of my boyfriend's car. I figured we were just running small errands he'd be fine in it."

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
Anyone can order them. You can order up to 100 at a time, and they are free.

(Be aware that they don't really STRESS ERF or anything-- but they do at least emphasize proper use etc.)

If you wanted to give reproducible information sheets, Safety Belt Safe provides printable, reproducible handouts on their site for free. (Click on "reproducible materials" under "resources".) They also produce brochures which may be purchased (I took my kids to the doctor and found "The Perfect Gift" on the wall; it was quite good.)

Also, the "No Excuse" posters are, through the generosity of a consortium of automakers, available for shipping cost only on their website. They are really good.

CTPDMom

Ambassador - CPS Technician
Yes, definitely order the USAA booklets! That's the easiest.

I made my own pamphlet and gave it to my ped for reproducing. She was very receptive. And I see the NEW flyer every time I go in now!

Or you can contact your local SK. They might have flyers that they would be able to give you to pass on.

swtgi1982

Can anyone order them or just CPSTs? I could have used about 5 of these today at ToysRus. I saw a lady pull in with what looked like between 18month to two year old in a HBB. When I asked her about it her reply was "Well it's his brother's seat. I forgot to get his seat out of my boyfriend's car. I figured we were just running small errands he'd be fine in it."

Anyone can they recently updated them too. I like the new ones better still no mention of ERF though so I usually have a thing stapled to the font with info on ERF for parents

MomToEliEm

I like that USAA booklet discussed earlier. I have given stacks to our pediatrician's office as well as made them available at my work. Whenever I have ordered, they came really quick (within 2 weeks).

To get it, go to: http://www.usaaedfoundation.org/
Select the "Order Publications" link at the top of the form.
Select publication "544 - Installing Child Safety Seats"
You can order up to 100 brochures at a time via the website, though you can call if you need more.

Kobain's Mommy

I just orderd some. I may print a few off in the mean time. Last night at the pharmacy the car next to me had a car with an infant bucket (Evenflo) buckled in foward facing. When I looked around the store I didn't see any kids in the store. By the time I came out the car was gone. Thanks for the heads up!

sunnymw

I have some of the USAA ones and they are awesome!! If the site locks up... don't refresh. It's ordered. Otherwise you'll get more than one box :whistle: (ah, well, I needed more anyway)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC