Mazda MPV

Jonah Baby

Tell me about it?
Like it? Hate it?

Are Radians compatible? Not sure we'll ever own one again, but good to know.
Can you 3 across the 3rd row?
Available TA's and/or LATCH in 3rd row (or retrofittable?)

If you owned one, how long has it lasted? Any "common" problems?

ADS

Cryssy Jane

I have a 2006 mazda mpv. There are 2 full sets of latch in the captains chairs and one TA in the third row, off center for use center or drivers side (but not both obviously).

Depending on how far back the front seats are, radians are compatible. I currently have a RF radian 3rd row center (about a 42 degree angle) and a RF radian behind the drivers seat (about a 36 degree angle). FF radians work in the 2nd and 3rd rows. A RF radian won't work behind the passenger seat because it braces and that's not allowed because of the advanced airbags.

I've been able to do quite a few 3 across situations in the third row but it's VERY VERY tight.

TAs are not retrofittable, so you only have the three to work with.

Ours is a 2006 and besides regular oil changes we haven't really had to do anything else yet. It doesn't get the greatest gas mileage, and isn't the most car seat friendly if you're taller.

QuassEE

Moderator - CPST Instructor
I'll speak to the reliability aspect.. if I had $5000-$7000 to spend on a minivan and not a penny more, I'd get the MPV. It's reliable, relatively safe, and as Crystal pointed out (note: years vary) it provides carseat geeks with all of the important interior features. My friend has an early 2000s MPV and it's perfect for her, especially as compared to the larger/longer imports. I know that there are some issues with transmissions in the early 2000s, but this is now generally the case with most newer vehicles. Even the 99-~2002 Odysseys had transmissions going only years into service. That would probably be my primary warning on them.

I ended up with the Sienna over the Odyssey and MPV in 2005, and the Odyssey over the Sienna and MPV in 2008. I doubt I'll get a Mazda5 at this point, but I do love the MPVs.. I actually REALLY like the older AWD MPVs, but that's moving in the direction of decreased occupant protection.

The MPV did get "Acceptable" for IIHS frontal-offset testing, and although they got a Poor for side impact that really tends to be the norm for vehicles of those model years without additional side impact protection (airbags). It's not something that would deter me from the vehicle, in case it's something you were looking at during your research.

-Nicole.

jujumum

We have a 2000 & a 2003, both with cloth seats and couldn't get an acceptable recline with the Radian. The TF was tight for us, too.

We love our MPVs! I think they offer a lot of value for the money. I love the way they handle and their size is quite small for a Minivan. They drive like cars. Check out the town hall/forum thing on Edmunds for reviews. The www.MPVClub.com site as soooooo much information on how to do repairs on your own and we've saved a ton of money on odds and ends this way.

These vans are not 'known' for transmission issues like most vans this age. The A/C went out on DH's 2003, which would have cost about $2,500, but he was able to dissect the van for the mechanic and save $1,300 using some online database for repairs (other than the MPV Club). I've had mine since 2004, and we've had DH's since 2007.

The 'new' version was built between 2000 & 2006, and here is how the latch/tethers shake out.

2000 - no lower anchors; top tether bolt pre-drilled locations in floor behind 2 center captains chairs only. Retrofit kits were $15 each. This year as angled ridgid belt stalks that make installing most seats a total PITA. The Britax convertibles, My Ride, and Frontier seats fit great, but most others are a total pain.

2001 - no lower anchors; top tether bolts installed in floor for 2 captain's chairs. Not sure about the 3rd row. 2000 & 2001 are otherwise the same vehicle.

2002-2003 - lower anchors & top tether actually on the back of the seat at the back for both captains chairs. No lower anchors in 3rd row, but there is a single center top tether spot. These models are the same vehicle.

2004-2006 - These models are the same vehicle. The cloth on these years is not as nice as the older years, but the leather is REALLY nice and the overall look of the vehicle is much more stylish.

Jonah Baby

I'll speak to the reliability aspect.. if I had $5000-$7000 to spend on a minivan and not a penny more, I'd get the MPV.
-Nicole.

That's close to what we're looking at.
I'm thinking $5,500 is our top unless something totally spectacular for slightly more jumps up....or we win the lottery....Not having to take a loan is the best option right now for just about everyone, but we won't have an option if the trucks don't sell fast.
We've found some deals for $5-$5,500 with as low as 80K miles on them. I REALLY didn't want anything with that high of mileage, but we test drove an MPV and I fell in love with it, so we had to compromise somewhere to get what we really wanted. I couldn't justify buying a crap Grand Caravan with lower miles for the same price - they're just junk, total junk, I owned one before. My aunt and her husband have owned two MPV's and love theirs.

I took our Marathon and Frontier85 to test drive with. They both fit nicely, one of the few vehicles I could get the FR85 in well so far. I only tried them in the captain's chairs, though, and some day it may be useful to put J in the 3rd row. I'm pretty sure we'll be selling our TF.
What is the LATCH limit?

Jeanum

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Staff member
Mazda doesn't specify a LATCH installation weight limit so you'll need to follow the limit stated by the carseat manufacturer in your instruction manuals.

agurlsride

I've owned a 2002 and currently own a 2005. They have both been really good to me. We had 104k mi on the 2002 before I got in an accident and I am at 92kmi (I put on 23kmi over the last year commuting 85mi a day) and its still going strong.
Like a pp said, you can do 3 across in the third row but its SUPER tight. I have yet to try 3 harnessed seats back there. I have had a MA and 2 FPSVD's and a MA, Start, and BG but thats all. Its so small back there!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC