I could see this being a problem.

purplemama

So I got a Safety 1st Onboard 35 for the new baby. I really like it but there is what I think could be a very serious issue with the cover. I have to really push down HARD where baby's butt would be and kinda pull on other parts of the cover to get the cover to touch the bottom of the seat. This seat is rated for and will fit a 4lbs baby. But I don't see how a tiny little 4 pounder or even a big 8 pounder could possibly squish the cover down to where it should be. I have to really push and yank on it. I'm worried about this causing the harness to not be as snug as it needs to be.

I could see this being a big problem with the non-carseat savy person who might not even realize it's a problem. I really don't know what to do about it though. I'm tempted to not use it and just get something else.

ADS

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
As long as you have less than 1" at the shoulder, I don't think it is a problem in the least. It's not uncommon for covers to hold some slack. For all we know, maybe it's a ride down thing. I don't know. But unless it's your particular one that's got a specific issue, I wouldn't worry about it in the least. Some seats are known to have bubble covers (the Momentum springs to mind. Get it? Momentum? Spring? LOL).

Wendy

purplemama

As long as you have less than 1" at the shoulder, I don't think it is a problem in the least. It's not uncommon for covers to hold some slack. For all we know, maybe it's a ride down thing. I don't know. But unless it's your particular one that's got a specific issue, I wouldn't worry about it in the least. Some seats are known to have bubble covers (the Momentum springs to mind. Get it? Momentum? Spring? LOL).

Wendy

Sorry but I'm confused. Less than 1" of what at the shoulder?

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Sheesh, I'm combining things. As long as you can't pinch anything at the shoulder, harness wise. I'm combing it with less than 1" of shell above the head. Because, yeah, I'm having a moment. LOL

Wendy

purplemama

Sheesh, I'm combining things. As long as you can't pinch anything at the shoulder, harness wise. I'm combing it with less than 1" of shell above the head. Because, yeah, I'm having a moment. LOL

Wendy

Ah, got ya now. I was like what the heck is she talking about!! Thanks. I'm in a pickle about it though because I have to return it soon if I don't want it but my little one won't be here till the end of Dec. I have no idea how an actual baby would fit in it. Hmmmm.

debbiemomof2

I have a Onboard 25 and don't have that problem at all. The seat cover seems to touch the bottom of the seat just fine. My baby weighed in today at 7lbs 15oz (3 days old) and is on the second set of harness slots. I was able to get the straps snugged up just fine. I am not a tech though. Perhaps it is just a problem with a particular cover?

TerisBoys

It should stretch over time to fit better. I agree with Wendy - as long as you can get a snug harness fit, it should be fine.

I've had even Britax covers need time to stretch out.

purplemama

It should stretch over time to fit better. I agree with Wendy - as long as you can get a snug harness fit, it should be fine.

I've had even Britax covers need time to stretch out.

I'd have to borrow a baby to see if I could get the harness snug, I'm not due until the end of Dec.

My MA cover needed time to stretch out too but I wasn't putting a newborn in it. The weight of my 25lbs DS is enough to push it down. My concern is a newborn doesn't weigh enough to stretch out the cover. I was under the assumption (and reading the instuction manual) that the childs bottom should be flat against the child restraint. I can't do that if the cover is 2 inches above the seat bottom and I need to put a lot of pressure to get it down.

Sorry if I sound snarky it's just that it's really bugging me. Maybe I should stop overthinking.:eek:

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
yeah, I wouldn't worry about it. The newborn dummy isn't an actual baby, but it weighs seven pounds and passes testing. It wouldn't bother me in the least to have a bit of a bubble under the child. Like I said, it may add to the ride down time and actually benefit the child. I don't know.

Wendy

TerisBoys

I'd have to borrow a baby to see if I could get the harness snug, I'm not due until the end of Dec.

My MA cover needed time to stretch out too but I wasn't putting a newborn in it. The weight of my 25lbs DS is enough to push it down. My concern is a newborn doesn't weigh enough to stretch out the cover. I was under the assumption (and reading the instuction manual) that the childs bottom should be flat against the child restraint. I can't do that if the cover is 2 inches above the seat bottom and I need to put a lot of pressure to get it down.

Sorry if I sound snarky it's just that it's really bugging me. Maybe I should stop overthinking.:eek:

No snark seen here.

How about a 5-10# bag of flour/sugar/etc strapped in the seat over the weekend to see if the weight makes it stretch and fit better? And/or a call to Dorel to see if this is normal or if you have a defective cover. 2" is a decent gap. I understand the concern more now than earlier in my antihistamine-induced daze :)

purplemama

yeah, I wouldn't worry about it. The newborn dummy isn't an actual baby, but it weighs seven pounds and passes testing. It wouldn't bother me in the least to have a bit of a bubble under the child. Like I said, it may add to the ride down time and actually benefit the child. I don't know.

Wendy

No snark seen here.

How about a 5-10# bag of flour/sugar/etc strapped in the seat over the weekend to see if the weight makes it stretch and fit better? And/or a call to Dorel to see if this is normal or if you have a defective cover. 2" is a decent gap. I understand the concern more now than earlier in my antihistamine-induced daze :)

Thank you both for being understanding of my overthinking stressed out pregnant brain.

I'm going to "borrow" my neighbors 5 month old who is still kinda tiny and see how she fits so I can get a feel for the seat.

Don't know why I freaking so bad, I'll never take the baby out much anyway.

My overlying issue here is I can't find a seat I like that fits the way I want it too and I can't stop obsessing about it and I just need to chill about it. Sigh.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC