Favourite winter gear for car seats?

K's Mama

I need something new for my 17 month old for the winter. He has outgrown his 18 month Colombia fleece suit, so I think he will be too big for the MEC Ursus which was what I was hoping I could get. What are some other favourites? I'd really prefer a one piece for him for this winter. I need something really warm as we are in Saskatchewan.
Thanks!

ADS

featherhead

I need something new for my 17 month old for the winter. He has outgrown his 18 month Colombia fleece suit, so I think he will be too big for the MEC Ursus which was what I was hoping I could get. What are some other favourites? I'd really prefer a one piece for him for this winter. I need something really warm as we are in Saskatchewan.
Thanks!

The Ursus suits are actually quite on the large size. My 18 month old is on the bigger side and she still fits the 12 month. My 3 year old is on the small side (though still above 50% for height) and still fits the 18 month! If you want to measure him from shoulder to crotch or something I could tell you if either size would fit.

amyd

Thanks - they seem to have free shipping to Canada right now :thumbsup: DO you know how they ship? USPS or courier? If courier will I get dinged with ridiculous fees for brokerage?

You won't get dinged for fees with LL Bean. Canadians pay all duty, etc in the order. DS has the Bean fleece suit in 3T.

K's Mama

The Ursus suits are actually quite on the large size. My 18 month old is on the bigger side and she still fits the 12 month. My 3 year old is on the small side (though still above 50% for height) and still fits the 18 month! If you want to measure him from shoulder to crotch or something I could tell you if either size would fit.

Hmmm - I was just going by the sizing on the MEC and Columbia websites. I have an 18 month Columbia suit that is just a little too small for him and the sizing charts made it look like the Columbia stuff is more generous that MEC... He's napping now, but I can get his measurement later. He'spretty average size for his age.

featherhead

Hmmm - I was just going by the sizing on the MEC and Columbia websites. I have an 18 month Columbia suit that is just a little too small for him and the sizing charts made it look like the Columbia stuff is more generous that MEC... He's napping now, but I can get his measurement later. He'spretty average size for his age.

Here is my 3 year old wearing the 18 month size. She is about 37ish inches tall, torso would be 14 inches maybe (almost even with 4th slot up on Radian). Obviously she is too big to fold over the hands and feet, but it still fits. There is a tiny bit of room left in the torso. My 18 month old is sleeping, otherwise I'd get a pic of her in it too:)
DSCN1140.jpg

K's Mama

Here is my 3 year old wearing the 18 month size. She is about 37ish inches tall, torso would be 14 inches maybe (almost even with 4th slot up on Radian). Obviously she is too big to fold over the hands and feet, but it still fits. There is a tiny bit of room left in the torso. My 18 month old is sleeping, otherwise I'd get a pic of her in it too:)
DSCN1140.jpg

Thanks! He's nowhere near 37 inches yet. Heck, his 4 1/2 year old sister isn't much taller than that - lol!

PEIMommyof2

I used a travel trench (like a car seat poncho) for my little guy when he was just over 2 years. I got the 2 layer one and it kept him very warm and so easy to use.
Here is the link http://www.cjsewingroom.com/?p=2182, I got the truck one in the size 1-3 year size. It is looking for a new home somewhere. I also got one custom made for my taller 5 year old, (at the time) so pretty, she loved it.

Last edited:

canadiangie

DSCN1140.jpg

I agree. The other day my 3 year old went and put the 12mos Ursus on for fun. It still fit in the torso. She wears a 4T top and 4T pants. I'm pretty sure that if I put my 4.5y/o in the 18mos Ursus it would still be big enough in a pinch.. no feeties and mitties of course, but it would fit in the body. She wears 5T pants and a 4T shirt.

amyd

Yeah, the Ursus suits are pretty big. My DS is 2.5 and doesn't fit them anymore, but he's really tall, both in the torso (he's over the 4th slots on the Radian RFing) and in the legs.

MarathonMama

Do you think he'd be too big for the 24m Columbia stuff?

We got DS this one - Columbia Bugababy Interchange Bunting. It's like a 3-in-1 and the fleece is removable so I can use that in the car and then put the top layer on if we go out in the snow. I haven't used it yet so I can't comment on how I like it but thought I would add it to the list!

sn7762-blue.jpg

K's Mama

Do you think he'd be too big for the 24m Columbia stuff?

We got DS this one - Columbia Bugababy Interchange Bunting. It's like a 3-in-1 and the fleece is removable so I can use that in the car and then put the top layer on if we go out in the snow. I haven't used it yet so I can't comment on how I like it but thought I would add it to the list!

sn7762-blue.jpg

No- he'd probably fit that. It'd be handy too with the two layers - I'd only have to buy one suit. I don't think any of the stores here carry them though (I've looked in the past), and Columbia doesn't ship to Canada...

MarathonMama

Not sure where in Canada you are, but I ordered mine online from West End Kids (Ottawa). It was $80 and the local shop was selling them for the same price, but they were sold out and I didn't want to wait. However, when I checked on WEK they only have 6m and 12m listed so maybe they're out of stock of the larger sizes ... maybe email or call them to see if they have/will get any bigger ones.

I'll check some other places too ...

amyd

When we used the Ursus suit, I'd throw a MEC Newt suit over top for playing in the snow. Worked great.

amyd

I'm not sure if that would be warm enough...

Yeah, probably not for really cold weather or very long at a time. DS wasn't walking his first winter though so it was mostly for when he was in a sled or just outside for a few minutes at a time. We didn't stay out very long when it was really cold that year.

K's Mama

DSCN1140.jpg

Would it be a bother to take a measurement for me? I'm interested in how long it is from shoulder to crotch.

I just retried out Columbia fleece suit on him and without the hand/foot covers it does still *just* fit - but it would be handy to have the covers this year. From the shoulder to the crotch it measures 18 inches.
IMG_1318.jpg

(we cloth diaper too, so that makes him bum a bit bigger).

If the 18 month Ursus suit is longer than that, then it is probably worth buying. If not I'd rather just try and get a hold of a 24 month Columbia suit or just use what I already have...

Thanks!

Last edited:

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC