Is this a problem? Need some help

Happymom08

Hi all :happy-wavehello:

My son is 2 yrs 8 mos, 38" tall and about 35 lbs, though I'd have to double check on that to be sure. He is currently RF in a Radian XTSL, which I spent a lot of time researching (mostly on this site) a few months back and decided on because I knew he would outgrow his ETA sooner RF. His height is more in his torso than his legs, but I don't know his torso height right now.

We've been really happy with the arrangement with him in his XTSL, and we love the seat, but my concern is with our car. We have a '98 Honda Civic. The problem is that RF in the center of the backseat, the XTSL rests on our front seats. If I remember correctly, this is okay for the Radian itself, right? I just want to make sure I have that correct before anything else because if that's not even okay, then nothing else matters and we can't use this seat RF in this car.

But as far as it resting on the driver and front passenger seats goes, I believe I had read that this can be a problem because it can possibly interfere with the airbags. I think I also read (on here) that it depends on the car and that some may allow for it - so I checked all over the manual, but didn't find a single thing regarding this.

How do we know about a car that is this old? Does anyone even specifically know about a '98 Civic? :whistle: My DH is under the impression that it's probably fine, because his thought is that the car is older and probably isn't so advanced that something braced against the seat is going to affect the airbag. (I hope that makes sense - I understand what he's saying but it sounds better coming from him.) But we don't know for sure.

This is where the problem is...I would love to keep DS RF longer and I know he's safest that way. I don't want to have to turn him yet if we don't need to. However I also have to think of our whole family's safety. I don't know if we've been driving around with DH and I not being safe because our airbags may not deploy. If this is a problem with our seats and airbags, then I think I have no choice but to turn DS FF...? There's definitely no way we can always have both seats far enough forward that the car-seat doesn't touch them. For one thing I don't even think our seats go that far forward, plus DH also can't fit to drive if his seat is that far up. Also, I am 14 weeks pregnant so I'll be needing to sit as far back as I can. Again, just trying to think of the whole family's safety KWIM?

I'm sorry this has gotten so long...if anyone has ANY insight on this I'd love to hear it. Just not sure if we even have a choice or not, and uncertain of what to do.

Thank you!!

ADS

skitle1802

I'm not a tech but I am pretty sure you don't have advanced airbags. Does your manual say anything about sensors in the seats? Hopefully a tech will confirm this for you.

Happymom08

Ooh - so just to make sure I'm understanding correctly, "advanced airbags" is the term I'm looking for for when they are affected by something braced against the car's seats?

It would be wonderful if we don't have these. I'll wait for a tech to hopefully reply, but I'm sure you're both right.

Amy - No, I looked everywhere in the manual and wasn't able to find any information like that.

Just to be sure, the Radian itself is safe braced against the seats, right, as long as it is installed correctly and independently of the seats (not aided at all by the seats)?

menfusse

Not a tech here either, but yes you are right. Advanced air bags is where the concern can be with bracing/laying against the seats. There are sensors that go by weight/pressure to dictate how much force the airbag is deployed with.

I'm fairly certain that there are probably very few, if any cars from 98 that would have advanced airbags.

Oh, and yes, as long as the install is completely independent of being braced against the seat, it's safe to do.

amyd

Ooh - so just to make sure I'm understanding correctly, "advanced airbags" is the term I'm looking for for when they are affected by something braced against the car's seats?

Yes, that's correct. It's the newer airbags that have the weight sensors in the seats. The sensors detect whether or not someone is sitting in the seat (passenger's side) and if so, the weight of the person. Then that information determines whether the airbag deploys in a crash and with how much force.

It would be wonderful if we don't have these. I'll wait for a tech to hopefully reply, but I'm sure you're both right.

You don't have them. If you did, you'd see a light on your dash that tells you when the passenger side airbag is off. Like I said, my 2004 Civic doesn't have that. I think Honda starting using advanced airbags in the Civic in the generation after the one I have, so 2006 and newer. Most manufacturers have only used them for less than 5 years now, some a bit longer, but it'd be very rare for a car older than 10 years to have them. Oh, and I'm a tech. That's why my user name is in green...that's how you can see if someone is a tech:)

Amy - No, I looked everywhere in the manual and wasn't able to find any information like that.

In a vehicle with advanced airbags, you'll find mention of not hanging things from seatbacks, allowing children to kick seats, etc. Probably not a direct mention of not resting a car seat on the seat back. The info is in the airbag section of the manual.

Just to be sure, the Radian itself is safe braced against the seats, right, as long as it is installed correctly and independently of the seats (not aided at all by the seats)?
Yep, you got it:thumbsup:

Happymom08

Oops sorry Amy - I just realized that (that you're a tech)! I didn't mean to make it sound like you didn't know what you were talking about either, whether you were a tech or not. ;)

Thank you so much for the great info...I'm glad we can still keep him RF!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC