Is this legal?

dragonfly8

Legal? Maybe. Safe? Nope, I'm pretty sure it's not!

I was driving the other day and noticed a car, with a RF seat behind the passenger, but I guess there was not adequate room for RF installation in that position, so the front passenger seat was flipped forward, so the headrest was resting up near the dashboard. I can't see this being an okay situation? I've never actually seen that type of "solution" however, just in case I ever come across it....................

ADS

CrunchyMaineMama

Senior Community Member
There was a thread the other day about someone's DH driving with the passenger vehicle folded forward and it was okay per the car manual to drive with the seat in that position. It was a type of Ford. Forgive my horrible memory, I'm sure someone else will remember better than I. The poster had a DS in a FFing seat and someone else pointed out that this actually may be safer for him as it removes the possibility of his head hitting the front seat in a crash.

dragonfly8

There was a thread the other day about someone's DH driving with the passenger vehicle folded forward and it was okay per the car manual to drive with the seat in that position. It was a type of Ford. Forgive my horrible memory, I'm sure someone else will remember better than I. The poster had a DS in a FFing seat and someone else pointed out that this actually may be safer for him as it removes the possibility of his head hitting the front seat in a crash.

Really? Wow! I'd think it would be a huge safety thing, if they were in a crash, that the seat could potentially fly back, that the seat could move along the tracks (I don't think the seat is "locked" with the seat back forwards), I'm curious to read that thread!

tiggercat

I guess it would depend if the front seat locked securely in that position. I've seen people fold the middle capt' chairs of vans down to make more room for a RF seat in the 3rd row.

LittlePeanut

Our Pontiac Vibe (same as the Toyota Matrix) does not prohibit use in this way. The seat itself does lock in the fully down position though and well out of the way of the inflating airbag. We have used it in this manner but only when all seating positions were not needed for other passengers.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC