Radians and Zombies

sunnymw

Hypothetically speaking...

Say one were about to be attacked by zombies and had nothing but 2 Radians handy, and the vehicle was incompatible with RF Radians or too small (and needed front passengers who also did not want their brains eaten).

And say that the Radian was normally set up for rear-facing. Meaning, straps on a lower slot, no safe-stop, etc.

Would you put an under 40lb child in an untethered Radian, forward facing, without safestop, with straps slightly below the shoulders?

I would say "Just throw 'em in the car and step on it" but you know, when you're running from zombies, your car may experience collisions with other burning vehicles and experience a rollover. And since zombies DO move slowly, there is a good chance that you'd have time to install the seat but not be able to deal with all the technical aspects of doing it 100% correctly.

ADS

Mae

Well, if these zombies are co-partners with pineapples who invade and take over the world, then perhaps I would have certain theories in which I may alter my regular view. ;)

I would have no problem using it NOT top tethered without a safe stop if zombies are attacking. The Radian does great with the top tether, so I'd leave it as is -- no safe stop, no top tether. Having the straps below the shoulders? Eh ... by how much? Is there any chance that the straps are *even* with the shoulders?

msg221

Having my brains eaten vs. putting an under 40 lb. child FF. I'll take the latter. And you already said the vehicle is incompatible for RF Radians, so why bother?

Besides, if zombies are slow, I'd just drive until I got a good distance away, then fix the install.

Mae

Besides, if zombies are slow, I'd just drive until I got a good distance away, then fix the install.

Ooohh, good point -- didn't think about that. I'm sure that a lot of zombies are brain dead -- I mean, they're zombies so I'm sure that you could outsmart them and hide someplace for a short time to fix the install. Then you can drive far, far away from these zombies with safe little kidlets.

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
The Radians are pretty heavy. I'd throw them AT the zombies and flee on foot.

Well, the Radian does allow the top slots to be under a kid's shoulders, right? What's the theory on that in regards to other slots being under a kid's shoulders?

Mae

Well, the Radian does allow the top slots to be under a kid's shoulders, right? What's the theory on that in regards to other slots being under a kid's shoulders?

That's kind of what I was wondering too, but I'm pretty sure that it was strongly emphasized that it is only allowed on the TOP slots.

sunnymw

Yes Mae, they would certainly be co-conspirators. I would fix things once I was in the middle of nowhere and there were no zombies in sight.

sunnymw

And that's what I was thinking about the straps being slightly below. They would probably be at the shoulders, really. But since they allow it for the top slot I was thinking maybe it would be okay just for the fleeing part, to avoid any brain eating.

skylinphoto

Return of the Living Dead zombies are fast. lol.

I'll take the throw the child in the car and hope for the best and throw the radians at the zombies. They're heavy enough to slow them down.

I love my radian and all..just dont love zombies as much.

Oh, and about the kid being over the slots...once they shrink down in fear the fit will be just right.

Mae

Like I said, in the case of a zombie invasion, I think I would be able to turn my head and let you go.

There is a video showing a crash test of a FF seat with the straps excessively below the shoulders. I will link you once my Adobe Flash Player updates and I can verify that it is the correct video. :rolleyes:

emtb79

I actually have in my daycare emergency prepardness plan that if needed I will toss the kids in the van put them in as quickly and safely as possible, get them out of harms way and then put them in the car seats the properly. So yeah I would put the kids that are not FF in a FF car seat in case of zombies.

Mae

This link should work for you. It's a crash test of a FF seat with the harness incredibly below the shoulders.

This much below the shoulders, actually.

0113.jpg

It doesn't look much different than for any other FF crash test, however, it's also not the Radian. So, with that said .. I guess this is kind of moot-point. LOL.

(From Judi's old thread, here)

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
Uh, I'd put the Radian in the trunk and pile the kids on the floor and flee.

Seriously, I was talking about this when the San Bruno fire was going on. There were stories of families where they didn't have time to put the kid in the car seat, or car seat in the car, or whatever. When there was just a huge explosion yards from your house and a fire is racing toward you and you're fleeing for your life? Yeah, that's not a time I'd worry about car seats. I'd get out as fast as I could, and I'd stop and take any people that would pack into my car, even if I didn't have seatbelts for all of them. Because in that situation, the risk of staying to put in the car seats or the risk of people waiting for a car with extra seatbelts for them is HIGHER than the risk of riding in a car without proper restraint. You ride in a car without proper restraint, you MIGHT die. You stand there and wait for a chance to be properly restrained, while a fire rushes toward you? You're almost certain to die.

Mae

Uh, also looks like the slots may not be reinforced for FF?

Yeah. It also doesn't do much justice since it's not the Radian. Kind of moot-point and silly to post it. LOL :p

Either way, Sunny, just grab the kidlets and RUN from those zombahs!

CommMom

Senior Community Member
First of all, this is an awesome question and totally full of WIN!

I've also considered zombie-related implications for car seat usage. I mean, my zombie survival plan was pretty well in good shape when it was just DH & I. But once DS came along, I had to consider important questions like whether he'd be worn in front (thus risking my falling on him while fleeing) or on my back (thus exposing him to potential risk of unseen attack). Car seat usage is something else I've considered as a part of said plan.

So, first of all, are we talking about a regular car, or one that's been reinforced to withstand attack? Because I'm less concerned if it's a vehicle that I've already welded plates to. Generally speaking though, for zombies I'd be okay with FFing them until it was safe to play with the seats further (and/or obtain a more armored vehicle).

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
We suspect there are zombies on the forum. Be careful of the advice you get, they may be setting you up.

sunnymw

CommMom, it would be the first available vehicle until you could find an abandoned military type vehicle for more protection. So think of your friends' vehicles... your neighbors... anyone. This is assuming that you do NOT have the good luck of having YOUR current setup for whatever reason (because then there would be no fun to contemplate!). I have one friend with a single-cab truck and, well, that just would not work unless we piled people into the bed. She has 3 kids, LOL.

Darren I am so happy to see you having fun with us :D

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC