Who invented LATCH?

teekadog

I had a Honda salesman tell me yesterday that Honda invented the LATCH system. Yes? No? Then why does their minivan only have 3 LATCH seats :confused: :confused: :confused:

ADS

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
I had a Honda salesman tell me yesterday that Honda invented the LATCH system. Yes? No? Then why does their minivan only have 3 LATCH seats :confused: :confused: :confused:

Yeaaaahhh...and Al Gore invented the internet....

I vaguely recall it was an international committee...the "LATCH" heading at the top of this page may go into the history of it, but it's a US/EU invention, not Japanese....

And their minivan only has one more than the regulation demands (all cars need to have only 2 full sets and a third top anchor to meet standards)

teekadog

It sounded very wrong. He went on to say then Honda tried to market it to Kmart. It was hard not to laugh. The guy was of my dad's generation tho, so I had to show respect.

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
I'm pretty sure Ford had the first vehicles with LATCH in the USA, I think the Focus and Windstar had the anchors in 2000. Ford and Kmart did have a marketing blitz back then when the first Windstars hit the showrooms. Kmart sold the Cosco Triad and Fisher Price Safe Embrace, the only two LATCH carseats at the time. I think VW also may had some models include LATCH in 2000 as well.

I believe Honda did not release any LATCH equipped vehicles in the USA until 2001, though perhaps they released some earlier in Europe.

I'm not sure who can claim to invent it. The idea certainly began somewhere, but the implementation was the work of numerous auto manufacturers, government regulatory agencies and child restraint manufacturers.

southpawboston

wasn't it originally an international standard called ISOFIX which didn't go over too well with the US car industry and then the US came up with their own variant which they then termed LATCH?

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
I don't know why they opted to use a different name or when that change happened. I think the implementation for the US auto makers is essentially the same here as it is in Canada, Europe or elsewhere.

On the other hand, implementation in the USA was changed for child restraint manufacturers to allow for flexible attachment systems rather than rigid ones. Maybe they wanted the name change, too? I don't really know.

Loves2sing

Funny that this is a topic today. I was waiting for my dh at a home depot in the car while dd was sleeping. So I thought I would read the car's manual. It is a 94 Sunbird (GM), and I was shocked to find an early type of latch system in our car. The manual suggested that if you are driving alone with an infant you should put the infant in the front seat, (no airbags, but whatever, like I would put my RF infant in the front.) And because the car has those nifty:rolleyes: "automatic seat belts" that never need to be unlatched, you had to get a special seat belt for the carseat. It attatches to a small latch looking hook just underneath the door frame beside the seat, and then the special seatbelt latched onto the hook, and the other end went into the female end of the belt buckle. It was interesting, and reminded me a lot of latch. I don't think I would ever use this primitive system, even if it was in the back, as it was just plain weird, but it was interesting all the same. Oh Ps, and the car also told me that if you can't fit a child properly in the back seat with the shoulder straps, you should either move the child closer to the middle so the belt would not be on the child's neck, or just put them in the middle where there is only a lap belt.:eek:

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC