Anyone have 3 kids and a Mazda5?

deedeesmom

Where do you put the kids, and is it easy to get them in and out?

(First time on this forum -- I've posted on the carseat forum before.)

I just discovered the Mazda5 and love the concept, but I'm wondering how hard it would be to get 3 kids in it every day. Just from the pictures, it looks pretty cramped to get back to the 3rd row, especially if there was a carseat in the 2nd row behind the driver. I'm imagining baby behind driver, another kid next to baby, and another in the 3rd row, with the other 3rd row seat folded down for storage when there's no extra kid along.

I do love the storage in the back of my Mercury Sable wagon -- is there "enough" room in the back of the Mazda5?

Probably a bigger minivan makes the most sense for 3 kids, but I'm 5 feet tall and don't feel comfortable with a minivan. This is partly because I've backed into things before because I couldn't see well enough out the back of a sedan -- haven't done that since I got a cushion to sit on, lol, but I am really scared of backing into something with a big minivan. Just don't want to drive something huge anyway.

ADS

Kleine hexe

Lots of people asking about the Mazda5....and I'm one of them. I'll be watching this thread.

I'm 5 feet as well. :D I drive a Caravan right now and so far I have not backed into anything. I have, however, hit the front bumber into things. I'm just tired of minivans because of the MPG.

southpawboston

Where do you put the kids, and is it easy to get them in and out?

(First time on this forum -- I've posted on the carseat forum before.)

I just discovered the Mazda5 and love the concept, but I'm wondering how hard it would be to get 3 kids in it every day. Just from the pictures, it looks pretty cramped to get back to the 3rd row, especially if there was a carseat in the 2nd row behind the driver. I'm imagining baby behind driver, another kid next to baby, and another in the 3rd row, with the other 3rd row seat folded down for storage when there's no extra kid along.

I do love the storage in the back of my Mercury Sable wagon -- is there "enough" room in the back of the Mazda5?

Probably a bigger minivan makes the most sense for 3 kids, but I'm 5 feet tall and don't feel comfortable with a minivan. This is partly because I've backed into things before because I couldn't see well enough out the back of a sedan -- haven't done that since I got a cushion to sit on, lol, but I am really scared of backing into something with a big minivan. Just don't want to drive something huge anyway.

i don't own one, but i've driven one for a weekend as a loaner while getting my mazda3 serviced. i loved it! it feels small like a mazda3, yet is pretty cavernous inside. you are right however, that getting that third child in the back row will be pretty tough. the second row seats do slide forward/backward, so that helps *a little*, but still it will be cumbersome lifting a child into a carseat in the third row. not sure if you know this from the way you worded your post, but the thirs row is 50/50 split.

deedeesmom

i don't own one, but i've driven one for a weekend as a loaner while getting my mazda3 serviced. i loved it! it feels small like a mazda3, yet is pretty cavernous inside. you are right however, that getting that third child in the back row will be pretty tough. the second row seats do slide forward/backward, so that helps *a little*, but still it will be cumbersome lifting a child into a carseat in the third row. not sure if you know this from the way you worded your post, but the thirs row is 50/50 split.

The kid who can climb in and buckle herself (she's almost 6 and rides in a Radian) would probably be the one to get the back seat. Think there would be enough room for a kid to squeeze behind the 2nd row seats without folding them?

But then I guess it would still be tough to help a 4th kid if we have a visitor. So far all dd's friends have needed help buckling themselves into our spare booster. And if we had an extra adult -- guess we'd be having to shift carseats around.

I really, REALLY would love this to work, but I'm afraid it might be a PITA after awhile.

Kleine hexe

I've decided that I'm not basing my car buying decision while thinking of possibly taking on another passengers. I'm basing everything on the size of how many children I have. I just can't justify my driving around in a nearly empty van for 98% of the time....all the while paying for that extra gas (not to mention my bigger carbon footprint) when I could be driving something with better MPG. Carpooling can be great but the times I may carpool don't balance out the price of my using more gas in a larger vehicle.

teekadog

dh and I seriously considered a Mazda 5, but the size just keeps ruling it out. While we'd love something smaller, less expensive, more fuel efficient, etc... it is a REALLY small van. (We dubbed it the micro-van.) And for us, we're looking for a car that we'll have for 20+ years. We just don't see something that small growing well with our family. We have 2 kids now, would like to have a 3rd soon, and possibly a 4th after that. And at that point, I wouldn't be able to fit groceries for the family in it!

I think it's a really wonderful car and concept, but you've got to really examine how it will work for your individual needs. Remember, test drives, and test fitting car seats in it, is free!

deedeesmom

I've decided that I'm not basing my car buying decision while thinking of possibly taking on another passengers. I'm basing everything on the size of how many children I have. I just can't justify my driving around in a nearly empty van for 98% of the time....all the while paying for that extra gas (not to mention my bigger carbon footprint) when I could be driving something with better MPG. Carpooling can be great but the times I may carpool don't balance out the price of my using more gas in a larger vehicle.

Oh, in my last post, I meant to say, yay, another 5-footer, lol.

That's a good point here. But we do have extra people fairly regularly, and I do like to have room for "stuff." The question I guess is which would be more of a pain -- driving around a vehicle that feels too big, or one that feels too small. The extra space in an Odyssey would be wonderful on many occasions, but I wouldn't want to haul it around (and pay for it, as you pointed out) every day.

deedeesmom

dh and I seriously considered a Mazda 5, but the size just keeps ruling it out. While we'd love something smaller, less expensive, more fuel efficient, etc... it is a REALLY small van. (We dubbed it the micro-van.) And for us, we're looking for a car that we'll have for 20+ years. We just don't see something that small growing well with our family. We have 2 kids now, would like to have a 3rd soon, and possibly a 4th after that. And at that point, I wouldn't be able to fit groceries for the family in it!

I think it's a really wonderful car and concept, but you've got to really examine how it will work for your individual needs. Remember, test drives, and test fitting car seats in it, is free!

Yeah I definitely couldn't see it for 4 kids.

Guess it will come down to the test drives. That should be fun! :)

Namegirl

Senior Community Member
I have a Mazda 5 that I love. I only have one kid right now, but I think 3 would fit okay. You could either put 2 in the 2nd row and 1 in the 3rd row with a 3rd row seat folded down for storage or you could put 2 in the 3rd row and 1 in the 2nd with one of the 2nd row seats folded flat for easier 3rd row acess. Probably depends on what kind of carseats/booster we're talking about.

It's a really fun car to own!

deedeesmom

Namegirl, thanks for your input. It WOULD probably be a boost in image over my Sable wagon, lol.

I was just looking at more pics and it looks like there's a good amount of space between the two 2nd row seats and that it would be easier to get through to the back that way than to squeeze behind a seat as you go through the door? I'll want to put some carseats in and see if an adult could get past that way.

twokidstwodogs

I looked at a Mazda 5 when I was buying my last car, and actually climbed in the third row. I'm 5'2" and while I could squeeze back there, I wouldn't want to sit there for any length of time, nor would I want to have to get back there to buckle a child in on a daily basis. But if it's only one kid back there, and she can buckle herself in, I think it would be doable. But know that when the third row seats are up, there's not very much storage space left behind those seats. I don't know what you routinely carry; if it's just a stroller, you'll be fine. But you're not going to get a couch back there or anything!

Dsunny1

CPST Instructor
I have a mazda 5, and have had 4 adults and 2 kids in it. I have owned it for a year and 4 months It isn't bad in the back for smaller adults, however you have to "puzzle" the seats so everyone has the right leg room. My DD when we are carrying extra kids with us, just goes right down the center aisle to the back to her Recaro Young sport booster and buckles herself. I have had to help her friends buckle in, but if you open the hatch, they are within easy reach, so you really don't have to walk down the aisle to get to the back to do so. I am also short 5'2", and I love my 5.. I traded my MAzda 3 hatch for it. I love being able to put down the seats I am not using, and hauling things. It really helped when I had to move. I have been very happy with it so far. Our son and daughter both ride in the second row usually, my son rearfacing in his marathon or Radian, and my dd in her young sport. I have had multiple car seat configuration in though and have never felt I couldn't drive 4 kids comfortable in their respective seats.
HTH! :)

all together ooky

While I loved driving the Mazda5 I decided that we needed a larger van for our needs. Have you thought about a short-wheelbase minivan? Of course the problem with that is there is little space between the thrid row and the back of the van....but it would give you more space and still be easier to drive than the HUGE Odyssey.

lovinwaves

Just to let you know the Honda Odyssey comes with a Rear Back Up Camera and large screen in the dash. Also the Driver's seat is fully adjustable so you wouldn't need a cusion to sit on.

southpawboston

Just to let you know the Honda Odyssey comes with a Rear Back Up Camera and large screen in the dash. Also the Driver's seat is fully adjustable so you wouldn't need a cusion to sit on.

on all trim levels? or only the high end ones? some poeple may not be able to justify that option if it's only bundled with a higher end model.

one reason we will never have a large minivan like the odyssey or sienna if we're living in the city is because there's always tight parking that has to be dealt with... it's just a part of life in the city. when you see a small spot and you have a large car, it's like *damn*... if only i had a smaller car that could just squeeze into that spot!! that's why the mazda5 was very appealing to us... only about 5" longer than our mazda3 *(which can park in as small a parallel parking spot as any car except a mini or scion can), yet much more room inside.

A

Alihiro

I have driven a Mazda 5 since 2007. As all the reviews say, it is a great car, and surprisingly fun to drive. In 2 weeks we hope to welcome our 3rd baby. Last week, we installed the third car seat and the whole gang headed for a Sunday drive (2 year old behind the driver, newborn seat behind the passenger, and 5 year old w/ convertible booster in the third row). It didn't take us long to realize that this car is no longer going to work for us. My 5 year old had to pull his legs up beside his head because there was no way for his legs to fit in the gap between the 2nd and 3rd row.

Something others have not mentioned is that the manual states that seats must be all the way back on their track for proper car seat installation. If you follow this rule, I just don't see how you can fit a child in a car seat in the back row.

We have spent all week trying to figure out a way to make this work. The only solution would be to put my 5 year old in a traditional booster in the 3rd row. But, I am not willing to do that, as he doesn't seem big enough to make the transition. I am of the mind that he is better in a harness for as long as there is a harness model designed for his size.

Minivan time, I think! If you plan to stop at 2 kids, I think the Mazda 5 is just about perfect.

luckyclov

Here's my personal experience.

Let me start by saying I had a 2008 Mazda5, with two kids. I traded in my fullsize minivan because DH and I had pretty much given up on getting ever getting pregnant again - and staying pregnant.
BAM, I got pregnant. And stayed pregnant.
I now drive a 2009 Dodge Grand Caravan.

I know there are people out there that make the 5 work with 3 or 4 kids. But for the amount of space we "require" and the amount of time we actually spend in the car (DD is on the spectrum and we're in the car A LOT between all of her stuff - not to mention all the other extra curriculars and the fact that we do most vacations by driving because DD does NOT fly well), we just didn't think it was possible to make it work.

The 5 is an absolute DREAM with two kids and the occasional spare kid tossed in the back. I loved the car and was sad to see it go. But there is no way DS could have been in the 3rd row fulltime...you just lose so much space when the 3rd row is up. There are two sets of tethers in the 3rd row, but no anchors. It's no problem at all for older children to get to the back, either - since the 2nd row is captains chairs with a "walk way" in the middle.

Like I said before, I drive an '09 Grand Caravan (SXT). I'm 5'2" and have had no issues with it. It's also equipped with a rear back up camera, though I think I've used it...maybe twice?

Best of luck!

jesster

We do! A 2006. And we just finished a 12-hour (driving alone) trip down to my parents' place for the 4th. The car was packed, no lie, but it worked and everyone had enough room. We had the baby behind the passenger seat in a KF30, 5-year-old in a Monterey (secured w/LATCH) behind the driver, and the 3-year-old in a Regent in the 3rd row behind the Monterey. We only had the one seat up in the 3rd row for the Regent and had our bags next to him and behind his seat in the "trunk". And a big ol' diaper bag on the floor under the baby's seat.

skipspin

I have one with three kids.

We've had it for 2 months, but rented one a year ago for 4 days of driving. We love it. When we rented one we had a 6 week old, 2 yr old and almost 6 year old. The two "big" kids rode in the back and the 2 year old was FFing for that trip. The baby sat RFing in the middle and I sat next to the baby and in the front so we had all seats up. We took everything we needed for 6 days, but because we were just going to my sisters wedding we didn't need a stroller, packnplay or other "big" baby items.

Usually when I drive I have the two big kids in the back (one harnessed one boostered) and the baby in the middle. Somtimes one of the two older kids sits next to the baby if I move thing around for some reason. As far as buckling a kid in the third row- harnesses are easy. I just buckle the Rfing baby in the 2nd row, then I can reach to buckle my 3 year old from the sliding door. Easy as long as they are on the same side and he cilmbs in himself. I can reach from the back hatch too. I've sat in the back and it's not bad. I wouldn't want to do it for hours but for a small adult it's okay. (I'm 5'2" and 120ish). I generally leave the extra second row seat tumbled if I'm not using it.

I'll try to post pics tomorrow. I'mdoing about 20 things right now and shouldn't even be typing this. LOL.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC