Question Monterey vs. Recaro Booster

mlohry

Just curious if anyone thought one was better over the other. I like different things about each of them. I got to see a Monterey in a store today and liked it more than I thought I would. I like that it has latch and that you can make it a low back booster. I like the Recaro because of the fabric options, not as much mesh and it got on the IIHS best pick list for safety. I was a little concerned about the Monterey since it only made it on the moderate list. I would be purchasing a booster for my skinny 6 year old son and possibly my skinny almost 8 year old son. My 8 year old is currently in a TB HB and my 6 year old is still harnessed in a GN and is booster training in the TB HB when his brother is at school. The TB fits both of my boys really well. We drive a Honda Odyssey van. Thanks for the help!

ADS

crunchierthanthou

I picked the Monterey over the ProBooster solely for the lower anchor strap. Ds was in a Turbo Booster for a couple weeks after our GN was crashed. It fit his well (as it does most kids), but it was apparent from the start that we were terrible at remembering to buckle it when empty. I loved the look of the Recaro, but the Monterey isn't bad. We needed the LATCH function, ds likes it, and it fits him well. He's skinny (41 lbs and ~44") and not quite 6.

ericarizo

I am having the same debate right now. I heard the Monterrey is not a good fit for a skinny child so we might go with a ProBooster.

DiaSmall

The "best bet' list that was released on boosters only talks about how it FITS a group of kids... Some fit a wider variety of kids than others. It wasn't talking about which preforms better in a crash test.
Crash test results are here: http://www.nhtsa.gov/Cars/testing/comply/fmvss213/index.html

As far as booster fit... you really just have to try out lots too see what positions the belt the best.

The Monterrey doesn't fit really narrow shouldered kids well... but it fits my slim 41.6lb 6.5yo great... centers on his shoulders well & because he's a string bean his knees hit just perfectly. I liked the monterey because it looked more like a regular auto seat... my kids both picked it out when I showed them their options. I took a chance ordering online, unseen... but it turned out well.

Only thing I didn't care for about the probooster isn't really a negative... It doesn't convert to a low back. I kinda think that's a positive because it will move from car to car without the seat bottom flopping around. And walmart has good harmony low backs for like $14.

Best of luck finding a good fit.

emandbri

I have both. The monterey is in my van and the pro booster is in Brian's car. I prefer the monterey because even when not latched the monterey seems more stable, the probooster is tippy.

He fits great in both seats though.

Here are pictures of Benjamin in the probooster.

http://www.car-seat.org/showthread.php?p=1325282#post1325282

here is a bigger picture of the one in my siggy.
IMG_0570.jpg

If Brian's car had latch I would have gotten another monterey or put the monterey in his car and gotten him something else for the van.

MommyBoha

I love our ProBooster, but it is tippy. If it was LATCHable, itd be fantastic. But the Monteray didnt fit my 47lbs 47in DS very well(he is 7) and the probooster is an awesome fit.

Defrost

Moderator - CPSTI Emeritus
Can you ProBooster owners help me out with a question, too? I'm considering it for Macha to replace her Husky sometime in the next few months, but I don't know if it will work with my 3rd-row seat belts. The shoulder belt in that row is significantly forward of the seat, so the boosters that work best are "thick" at the top, like the Recaro Start and Monterrey. Is the ProBooster also "thick" like that?

I know that's a tough question if you haven't seen the seatbelt in my car, but if anyone knows what I mean & can help, I'd appreciate it. :)

luckyclov

I have both. And love both. We had the Monterey first, and it was a great fit for my DS, who is a "solid" child. When he moved to the 3rd row of my minivan, however, and the booster wasn't anchored, we started having some tipping issues. So I replaced it with his old style PW and we did just fine...except he was getting squished in the PW, so I got a PWSG...still squished. Then came the ProBOOSTER. It's a great fit to his body and provides an *excellent* seatbelt fit. There is a slight tip but it has no impact on the SB position/fit, so I'm OK with it (there is a recline bar thingie). If you ask DS, he likes the PB the best. He loves the feel. He's comfortable. No complaints.

mlohry

Wow, thanks for all the responses, I think we are just going to have to wait until a local store gets the Recaros and try them out. I don't think I will know until then.

strollerfreak

Senior Community Member
We too have both...my 9yo was given the choice between them and he prefered the Monterey (which was good since for him we needed that LATCH strap since he can NOT remember to buckle a booster in to save his life.) and my 7yo prefered the Recaro PB over the Recaro Start, so that's what he is in in our van.

I have comparison pix posted here too, but I don't have the link handy...if you search "probooster pix" I'm sure you'll find 'em.

mlohry

Awesome link with the comparisons, thanks! I passed it onto a friend too. Looks like I am in the majority for not liking the PW SG, I was totally not comfortable with that one for my DS.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC