Consumer Reports: I can do better than that!

UlrikeDG

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
I meant to post this a couple of weeks ago, but well, life happened. ;) So...

Many techs have been criticizing CR for their methodology and lack of transparency in child restraint ratings for years now. Here's your chance to play Monday morning quarterback or backseat driver. If you were given an unlimited budget, and access to any experts you choose and existing testing facilities, how would you go about rating child safety seats?

ADS

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
Ooooh, good question!

I'd have at least 1000 random people off the street attempt to install random carseats in random vehicles given nothing but the manuals + I'd have quality people who actually know their stuff test the seats to every crash standard that exists :rolleyes: ;) I'd also have at least 100 random kids sit in as many seats as they could stand (appropriate for their age & size of course) to choose their most comfy options :cool: Wait, I think there was something else I'd thought of before, but now I forget :confused:

arly1983

:cool!:
Ooooh, good question!

I'd have at least 1000 random people off the street attempt to install random carseats in random vehicles given nothing but the manuals + I'd have quality people who actually know their stuff test the seats to every crash standard that exists :rolleyes: ;) I'd also have at least 100 random kids sit in as many seats as they could stand (appropriate for their age & size of course) to choose their most comfy options :cool: Wait, I think there was something else I'd thought of before, but now I forget :confused:

:cool!:

skaterbabs

I'd (to add on to what Tiffany said) GRADE the seats, not just this pass/faill bull that is done currently. A, B, C, D, F. A or B is acceptible - but C or below needs work, and of course F means it doesn't pass at all.

And have grades for all types, so seat 1 gets a B in ease of use, B in compatibility, an A in front impact, a B in rear and a c in side but an F in rollovers, vs seat 2 that gets an A in ease of use, B in compatibility, a B in front, B in rear, A in side and B in rollovers. KWIM?

Dillipop

I would survey users of the seats that have had them for a while on ease of use after awhile. You know how some seats have problems that pop up after time, like an adjuster strap that is ok and then just sticks? Get some real world experience from owners for everyday ease of use. I would also take cost of the seat out of the equation.

abacus2

I wouldn't take cost out of the equation, but I would evaluate the length of time the restraint fits children when evaluating its value.

emandbri

I would try real kids in seats to see how they fit, if a convertible has harness slots so low that 80% of 3 year olds are too tall for it it should be downgraded! Hello!

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
I had a difficult time at Lifesavers believing manufacturers who claimed their seats fit 80-90% of the population of kids up to 4 years old....

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC