Best Carseat for Flying

abcd

Which convertible carseat is best when flying? We plan on flying next year when my daughter is 16 mos. I want us to be able to use her carseat in the plane.

ADS

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Are you looking to buy now? Do you have a convertible and you want a travel seat, or do you want one seat for both car and travel? How heavy is she? Do you travel often or just this once?

If you travel infrequently, then I'd get whatever you want. That would depend on your budget and her weight. If you travel often, I'd probably get a secondary travel seat like a Cosco Scenera, Combi Coccoro, Safety 1st Avenue. They're lightweight and narrow. But they're outgrown sooner than others, so it's a trade off.

Wendy

abcd

I've been waiting for a good deal on a convertible car seat. So, if I see one, I plan on buying then. We don't have any convertible car seat; she's still on her infant car seat.

Yes, I'm looking for a seat for both car and travel. We travel 2-3 times a year, but only fly once a year. Not sure if that is considered often enough.

I have been considering the Sunshine Kids Radian XTSL. It has the weight issue, but I guess we can get a travelmate to avoind carrying it. I have also considered the Britax Boulevard, but it may be too wide for the airline seat. I would hate to buy a seat for my daughter and end up not using the seat because her carseat won't fit.

I guess a second car seat is also an option. But it has to be something safe for car too that we can use at the destination.

Mae

The Radian also has carrying straps so that you can carry it as a backpack. I don't think it's that bad. :)

May I ask what infant seat she is currently in?

I guess a second car seat is also an option. But it has to be something safe for car too that we can use at the destination.

Also, I just wanted to mention -- all car seats that are on the market are safe. They all have to pass the same testing. :)

rachelandtyke

I've fit the Boulevard just fine on all the airplanes we've traveled on no problem, both rear and forward facing. I've seen pretty much every convetible on a plane in my travels except a Radian, lol, but it seems it would be perfect for travel also since it is easy to transport.

We travel by plane a lot, so I now have a Coccoro for flying, which has been great.

abcd

The Radian also has carrying straps so that you can carry it as a backpack. I don't think it's that bad. :)

May I ask what infant seat she is currently in?

Also, I just wanted to mention -- all car seats that are on the market are safe. They all have to pass the same testing. :)

She has a Chicco Keyfit 30.

Good point on the all seats are safe comment. :) Now, I wonder... why should I buy a particular seat over the others? I always hear things like, "Oh, the Britax (or some other brand) is safer" :confused:

abcd

I've fit the Boulevard just fine on all the airplanes we've traveled on no problem, both rear and forward facing. I've seen pretty much every convetible on a plane in my travels except a Radian, lol, but it seems it would be perfect for travel also since it is easy to transport.

We travel by plane a lot, so I now have a Coccoro for flying, which has been great.

Hmmmm... OK. I've heard others say that they have traveled with a Boulevard. But I'm just afraid ending up paying more than $1k on a seat that we end up not using because the carseat won't fit. I have googled airline seat width; I keep seeing 17.2". Based on that, it seems like I'll be taking a chance of paying for an empty sit with a Boulevard.

Mae

I'm glad to hear that she is in the Keyfit 30 (KF30 as we call it). I just wanted to mention that a rear facing seat is outgrown when the weight limit is reached, or the child has less than one inch of shell above their head, whichever comes first. The vast majority of seats are outgrown by height before weight.

And, well, some seats simply last longer than others. Others have more bells and whistles. A lot of people believe that "Britax is the safest! You MUST buy a Britax to keep your children safe!!!" Of course, we know this isn't true. All seats must pass the same testing. ;)

So for you to decide which seat is better for you ... would you be passing the seat down to other children? How long do you plan to rear face her? The current recommendation is as long as possible (preferably up to 3 or 4 years of age), but at least to two years. Some seats will allow you to rear face longer (higher weight limits, taller shells) whereas some seats have lower weight limits and smaller shells.

While a certain seat might be "best" for you, it surely doesn't mean that it's the "best" seat out there for everybody else. Does that make sense?

abcd

Thanks for the abbreviation. I'm lost reading the other threads because I don't know what the abbreviations mean (which carseat).

A lot of people believe that "Britax is the safest! You MUST buy a Britax to keep your children safe!!!"

Yeah, I hear that alot. And it makes me feel bad because I'm considering seats other than Britax.

I'm not sure if a convertible carseat is something that we can pass down to our next child. How long does a convertible seat last? Until 5 yrs old? 4? 3? I don't know. :confused: We plan on having a 2nd child in 2-3 yrs.

We may even end up buying 2 convertible car seats so my husband can drop off our daughter in the morning at daycare, and then I'll pick her up in the afternoon.

What's the best seat for us??? I have no idea what the criteria would be.

On rearfacing, I hope to rear face her as long as possible.

firemomof3

Depending on your vehicle, the Radian is a great seat and my favorite :love: We flew with our 2 Radians back in May and my dh and I each carried one (we wore them backpack style). Yes they are heavy but each of us found it fine.

Mae

Here is a great thread that lists our abbreviations. http://www.car-seat.org/showthread.php?p=66826#post66826

And definitely don't feel bad for considering other seats that aren't a Britax. I've never owned one because there are other seats that for my needs (and will last longer) that are cheaper than a Britax.

What type of car do you have? Do you have a budget?

I absolutely LOVE my Radian as well. :love:

You can skim through this thread and see if your car is listed. This is a thread that we have compiled of cars that we have successfully installed the Radian in. If your car isn't listed, don't assume that it can't be done. It may be that nobody has tried it.

There is a search button at the top of the thread which will allow you to search only that thread. You can put your car model in and viola. :)

http://www.car-seat.org/showthread.php?t=18235

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Eight years ago when my oldest was a baby, Britax WAS the best. They had just come out with the Marathon (she had Britax Advantages because I wasn't certain the Marathons would arrive before she would) which was ground breaking. It could rear face so long (33 pounds with a tall shell), it forward faced to 65 pounds, it was easy to install. After the Advantages she went into Wizards, and we do still use a Britax Parkway (old style, it expires late next year). But Britax stalled and sat on what they knew and what they did best. Meanwhile Graco and Learning Curve and Evenflo and Dorel are taking notes.

Fast forward seven years and I need to buy seats for my new baby. Her bum has never sat in a Britax. She has a Learning Curve True Fit for my daily car, and a Combi Coccoro for my husband's car/travel/three across. She had a Safety 1st Avenue for travel, but we sold that and our Radian for the Coccoro.

We've traveled extensively with the Radian and big Britaxes. The big Britaxes fit easily. Just put the armrest up. The Radian fits forward facing like it was designed for the plane's seat. Rear facing, not so much (which is why Laine has had other rear facing travel seats). We fly two to three times a year, sometimes more (we used to fly every month or every other month, but we've moved a lot further from family now) and so it's nice to have a travel seat, but even with this amount I don't know that I would have gone for it if it wasn't the seat in my husband's car as well (with Piper we had seats in each of our cars AND a travel seat).

For travel I love the Coccoro, but I wouldn't have paid $200 for it (I didn't). The Safety 1st Avenue, the Safety 1st onSide Air, and Cosco Scenera are all great travel seats. The big Britaxes work just fine. For any of them I would recommend either GoGo Kidz, a Traveling Toddler, or a luggage cart and bungee cords. No sense carrying it so far. Plus it can double as a stroller if you're wheeling it. You may need to toss some pool noodles in your suitcase for recline angle when you get to the other side with these seats.

For a car my favorites are the Radians, Safety 1st Complete Air, Learning Curve True Fit, Evenflo Triumph 65, and Graco My Ride. All of these are FAA approved. The Radian is the most difficult to fit in the plane's seat, given it's recline angle. Otherwise they all fit, though you may need to put them very upright rear facing, and put the armrest up.

Wendy

vonfirmath

Hmmmm... OK. I've heard others say that they have traveled with a Boulevard. But I'm just afraid ending up paying more than $1k on a seat that we end up not using because the carseat won't fit. I have googled airline seat width; I keep seeing 17.2". Based on that, it seems like I'll be taking a chance of paying for an empty sit with a Boulevard.

I have personally fit both a Marathon and a Roundabout50 on airline seats. and the Boulevard has the same base.

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Also, to answer another question, convertibles fit most kids to 4-7 years old, depending on what convertible and how big your child is. Their expiration is anywhere from 6-8 years. So if you're planning on another in two to three years, then yes, you can definitely use it. What most people do is pass down the convertible when the baby needs it and buy the older child another seat (since your current child will be 3-4 years old, a combination seat would be fine).

Wendy

abcd

firemomof3, did you install the Radian rearfacing in the plane? Or is it impossible to do it with the Radian?

Mae, thanks for the link to the lists of abbreviations.

I have a 2010 Odyssey. I budgeted $300. But I was excited to see a post on great deals with the Radian at Kohl's.

At our destination, we may be using my sister's 2001 Corolla. I guess if the Radian does not fit, we will rent a car.

Thanks Wendy. Maybe a 2nd carseat for flying and for my husband's car is an option. We will think about it.

Mae

The Radian definately fits in the Corolla (at least an '03. I'm not sure of any model changes, so...). Follow this link and take a look at the poster's signature photo. There are a lot of successful install stories in the Radian thread, but none are specific to your model.

I also took a look at the Successful Radian Install thread and have found quite a few responses stating that they were able to install the Radian in an Odyssey. I've found at least one specific thread about a 2010 Odyssey, but there are plenty of other years that were successful (I admit, I don't know if there were ever any major changes in the body, etc).

If you are thinking about buying a Radian, I'd snag one up during the Kohl's sale. If for some reason you don't like it, or you can't install it, you can return it or sell it. :)

Eclipsepearl

I fly a lot and we take my dd's Radian on our 11 1/2 hour flights.

I never tried it rfing on the plane (we had another seat at that time). Since you can't find out what the pitches are on all your future flights, as a rule-of-thumb, if you mainly fly short-haul domestic on smaller aircraft, the Radian might not be your best choice. If you fly on small jets with less than 3 seats on either side, a smaller seat might be a better idea.

The problem is that it's tall. This makes the Radian difficult to rf sometimes but always easy to ff.

Putting it on your back might be a mistake it's heavy. One plus is that is folds, which means that you can slide it under a few strollers.

Please don't buy an overpriced Gogokidz to get it through an airport. A normal foldable, metal luggage cart does a better job, much less expensively (some are as little as $14 vs. the Gogo at $90!!). Play with either using the LATCH hooks and/or an extra bungee cord to secure the seat. Easier to get on and off for security than a Gogokidz too.

I don't recommend attaching it to a rolling suitcase because the handles might not be able to hold that much weight, especially if the child is riding in it. Also, as a former Flight Attendant, we dreaded seeing a parade of rolling suitcases. They really take up a lot of room in the overheads and usually can't go under the seat. Better to use a backpack or normal bag if you don't want to make yourself unpopular with the crew!

abcd

The trip is from Florida to Hawaii (which we plan to do every year). It's a pretty long trip.

Isn't not less comfortable and safe for the radian to be FF in the plane?

abcd

Another question, is there a better seat location when travelling with a child in a carseat? I heard somewhere about choosing the front-most seats (no seats in front of them). But a friend suggested the back-most seats. I kinda question it though since those last seats don't even recline, if I'm not mistaken, and are close to the bathroom.

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
A kid in a carseat rarely cares that the seat reclines.

The bulkhead rows (in the front) are a PITA because the armrests don't move. If you have a rear facing Radian they're your best bet, since the Radian has a narrow base and takes up a lot of front to back room. But anything else you're going to bloody your hands trying to get them between the armrests and carseat.

Wendy

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC