Boppy=Chicco=Noggin Nest=huh?

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3532543

So these things are back in the store...the idea behind them is to allow baby's head to not be sitting flat against the hard surface of the carseat, and to reduce risk of flattening.

So I tried it in the Snugride, and it really, really pushes the harness out sideways away from it's normal slots (the fabric between the slots is a good inch wider than the fabric in the included Graco headrest, and thicker). That just can't be good if you put a narrow little baby's shoulders in there, I don't think :(

I didn't try it in the Key Fit... maybe I will do that next. But my great worry and wonder is, since Chicco MAKES it, do they APPROVE it in their seats? :confused:

ADS

Notaclue

In the product description it doesn't mention carseats (although I am sure there will be parents that use it that way though)

Product Description
The Boppy Noggin Nest Head Support slightly raises babys head so that it isnt lying flat against a hard surface. Patented design includes a cut-out hole to relieve pressure from the back of babys head, helping to maintain the roundness of her head and prevent flat-head syndrome. Use the Boppy Noggin Nest head support in babys bouncer, swing or stroller.

skylinphoto

I had one when they first came out and mine said on the packaging not to use in carseats or the crib.

I tried it in my babys carseat (just to see how they fit cause you people are going to use them like that). It didnt really interfere with the straps but, it caused baby's head to be pushed way forward. Not cool. Btw, I had a BabyTrend Flexloc seat.

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
In the product description it doesn't mention carseats (although I am sure there will be parents that use it that way though)

Yeah, they will, since BRU has it right there next to all the other ginormous non-regulated headrests they sell.

I'll be sure to point out that it does NOT say for use in carseats, that'll make me feel better about it :)

CaseyRN

We use a noggin nest in the swing and bouncy seat but i would never consider using it in the carseat. It is very wide and I am sure there is no way it would fit without interfering with the harness.

mimieliza

Donning flame-proof suit...

I use one in my son's SS1. It does not interfere with the straps (the straps are set more widely than the Snugride straps). Also, I put him in the seat with the Noggin Nest on, and then removed it and there was no extra slack in the harness. To be honest, the Noggin Nest actually says it is NOT for use in the carseat, but I was comfortable with the way it fit in our seat.

It has fallen into the category of parental decision for me. DS had torticollis and plagiocephaly. We've done intensive physical therapy starting at six weeks and repositioning in just about about every place he sleeps/lays/sits/eats/plays. I was very unhappy with the position his head would often end up in the carseat, and rolled receiving blankets were not cutting it. So I chose to use the Noggin Nest, and I've been very happy with it.

FWIW, at nearly five months we have seen amazing improvement. His torticollis is completely resolved and he has only the slightest hint of flattening now. He will not need a band or helmet, and has "graduated" from PT.

andre149

mimieliza: I feel there is a big difference between a well informed parental decision and parents just doing it because they feel like it. In your case, you checked for harness interference, made sure it didn't affect the carseat fit, and made the parental decision to do what it sounds like your son needed for his medical needs. The issue I would have with this product is that parents are going to just throw it in their seat not paying attention to what it does to the fit of the harness, and regardless of whether their child actually needs something like that or not. No flames here :)

Kobain's Mommy

Donning flame-proof suit...

I use one in my son's SS1. It does not interfere with the straps (the straps are set more widely than the Snugride straps). Also, I put him in the seat with the Noggin Nest on, and then removed it and there was no extra slack in the harness. To be honest, the Noggin Nest actually says it is NOT for use in the carseat, but I was comfortable with the way it fit in our seat.

It has fallen into the category of parental decision for me. DS had torticollis and plagiocephaly. We've done intensive physical therapy starting at six weeks and repositioning in just about about every place he sleeps/lays/sits/eats/plays. I was very unhappy with the position his head would often end up in the carseat, and rolled receiving blankets were not cutting it. So I chose to use the Noggin Nest, and I've been very happy with it.

FWIW, at nearly five months we have seen amazing improvement. His torticollis is completely resolved and he has only the slightest hint of flattening now. He will not need a band or helmet, and has "graduated" from PT.
Do you think it helped with flat head? My DS when he falls asleep his head falls to the right so the right side of his head is flat. My Dr said if it's not better at his 6 month apt we need a band or helmet for him. I want to try and avoid that. We've been working on sitting and more tummy time to help.

skylinphoto

Do you think it helped with flat head? My DS when he falls asleep his head falls to the right so the right side of his head is flat. My Dr said if it's not better at his 6 month apt we need a band or helmet for him. I want to try and avoid that. We've been working on sitting and more tummy time to help.

I used it in the swing, stroller (we didnt have a car and used the stroller everywhere), and for naps. I think it helped a lot with the flat head. My dd was only beginning to develop a flat head. I also used one of those memory foam sleep positioners (not fond of them though..) for at night. Fixed her head right up. lol. That sounds awful!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC