I really can't believe it...

LovinMyBabies

Dh noticed that my MIL had my nephew's car seat forward facing. (It rear faces to 35 pounds.) He turned 1 year old 10 days ago, but he only weighs 18 pounds. He went inside and told her someone put his car seat in wrong. She said he was wrong because she did it herself. He told her that it was wrong because the car seat was forward facing and he is only 18 pounds. Her response was, "I don't care." :eek: She got pretty ticked at him too. She has him full-time, so this is his main seat.

ADS

Jewels

Senior Community Member
Dh noticed that my MIL had my nephew's car seat forward facing. (It rear faces to 35 pounds.) He turned 1 year old 10 days ago, but he only weighs 18 pounds. He went inside and told her someone put his car seat in wrong. She said he was wrong because she did it herself. He told her that it was wrong because the car seat was forward facing and he is only 18 pounds. Her response was, "I don't care." :eek: She got pretty ticked at him too. She has him full-time, so this is his main seat.

By chance does the seat say 20lbs AND 1year? If it did you could use that?!

LovinMyBabies

She knows all of this. We have been round and round about car seats for years now. She knows what's safest. I helped pick that seat for her because it RF to 35 pounds.

LovinMyBabies

Nope, she doesn't care. She even just went out and purchased a forward facing seat for him today that she can use for when she has him. Honestly, I don't even think the cops would do anything since he is one year old.

scatterbunny

But he's under the weight limit; misusing it by FF him before a year old is the exact same thing as misusing it by FF him after a year old but at less than 20 pounds. :(

rescuedcat

Senior Community Member
That sucks. :( It's one thing to forward face to soon when you don't know any better (and even then, that irritates the you know what out of me because it's in the manual), but it's even worse when you know rear facing is better.

kangato2roos

Would the threat of a fine or a ticket work? What about the threat of a voided warranty for misusing the seat... if she were in an accident, I don't think insurance or the manufacturer would replace the seat because she's misusing it.

If it rear faces to 35 pounds, it's a Cosco convertible, right? They have an absolute MINIMUM forward facing height of 34" and that HAS to be followed, same as the weight. I don't think they allow forward facing before 20 pounds either, which I know you already told her.

By misusing the seat, she can get a ticket (if a cop is knowledgable enough to realize) and she voids the warranty of the seat... not to mention risking his life, which I'm sure you've already gone over.

I doubt any of that will get through to her. I'm sorry.

LovinMyBabies

He's in the 5th percentile for his height, so I know he's not 34 inches. I'm so irritated!! She gets mad at me when I even MENTION car seats. Cuz, you know, her kids never had them and they are fine. (rolling my eyes here). He was HAPPY rear facing!!! He didn't complain at all!! Why fix something that isn't broken. Ughh!

mommyoftwoboys

i know what you mean with those things. Even after I kept explaining everything about car seats, she went out and bought only a forward facing car seat for her son, and wont start using it till he's one. *which is at the end of this month) He needs to be out of his carrier NOW, he's taller and weighs more than my youngest, but Im done. If she gets into a crash, I wont feel sorry for her, only for her son for having a mother like that. And she sits there and says I will probably only use this for awhile, so why spend the 100 bucks on the one she bought, when she could have gotten the scenra (which is on sale this week at Kmart for 35) and use it Rearfacing till hes around 2 maybe older. Im already sick of talking to her.
She asked me to help her pick a safe car seat for her son and did EVERYTHING I told her NOT to do.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC