Anybody had both the GN and the FN85? Head slump and stuff.

menfusse

I'd love a compare contrast kind of break down. There may already be a thread somewhere, but I couldn't find it.

My biggest issues is head slump/support. E will be 5 in November. She's small, but finally growing. She will make an excellent booster rider someday, but at the moment sleeps in the car anytime we are on the road more than 15 minutes. She flops in the GN, and has horrid head slump. I don't care how tight I get the straps, I swear it looks like she gets all crumpled up and over to the side. We just moved her up a slot. She's right at the second from the bottom slots and on some days it was looking like she was over, so I moved them up. I had read that as the head rest moved up, the head slump got better. Her head now isn't really even in the wings-weird, but she still slumps. Maybe even worse now. It does bother her, so it's not just me. She loves that belly pad though! She also loves the idea of it being a "booster".

I sat her in an FN85 once and the belly pad on it should work for her almost as well. I've been planning for months to get her one when the cowmooflage comes out, but now I'm second guessing myself.

Is there head slump in the FN? Or did your kid slump in one and not the other?

I REALLY want cow, lol. But, I'm worried about the support not being there.

ADS

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
My kids have never had a single moment of head slump in the FR. A very few kids do, sometimes, but nothing like the GN. Maybe it depends partly on the car? I bet if I reclined my seatback in my van a couple notches even the GN wouldn't be slumpy (but the FR, I accidentally installed it in upright booster mode, in the super-duper upright Ford Escape, and even then Leah's head didn't slump...)
Yeah, there's lots of posts on this, but they haven't been around in awhile, and I'm too lazy to search...

glockchick

I've had both. My kids heads' slump horridly in the GN, but they are fine in the Frontier. Kaleigh also does fine in the BLVD as well.

GN - not quite 4 year old
IMG_0278.jpg

GN with neck pillow - 6 year old
IMG_0214-1.jpg

FR 85 - both
IMG_0065.jpg

tl01

We have had both. Yes head slump in the GN and none in the FR80 and FR85. I'll post pics of him sleeping in the 80 or 85 later.

tl01

We have had both. Yes head slump in the GN and none in the FR80 and FR85. I'll post pics of him sleeping in the 80 or 85 later.
This photo is DS1 in our 80. I don't have one on my phone in the 85. He sleeps the same way in the 85. This is an old pic but you can see he has no head slump.

77970d6c.jpg

menfusse

Oh wow. You can really see the differences in it from that angle. It has much more of a recline and the head rest doesn't push forward. There's also a more natural slope to the seat.

Oh boy. Mooooo. Amazon has moved the release date from Nov. 1st, to Oct. 15th, btw.

fyrfightermomma

E had both seats when she had low tone. GN was horrible. FR was a teeny bit better but still really there. We got rid of the FR because of it and kept the GN for DH's car cause she's never in there.

Now that she's older and doesn't have much tone problem I'm thinking of trying a Frontier again.

If it doesn't work, I'd really look at the Prosport (even though it's not moo) for your DD. There really is zero headslump. That's why we got the YS back in the day.

I'm thinking of getting a Frontier 85 for S though as she hates her Radian with a passion and she's so smooshed in it. I'd love to see E when she gets her to see the head slump!

head slump on both honestly, about the same for Fiona.. I have a frontier right now and no GN but really I never noticed a difference, she head slumps.. and that is it lol

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC