What would you get?

tarabelle

Currently, I have DD in a BLVD in my car (2010 Kia Forte) and am due in a couple weeks with #2. #2 will be in a safeseat. I also have a MyRide in DH's truck and a TrueFit with the sitter.

I was able to help out at a check yesterday and the lead tech helped reinstall the seat from passenger side to driver's side (can I just say thanks to all of you, btw? Because of the info I learned here, my DD's BLVD was installed correctly :love:) We moved the BLVD to behind the driver's seat and put the SS1 base behind the passenger seat. The BLVD fits OK, but only because I'm short, but it is tight in the driver's seat now.

I'm thinking lower profile seat or something with a shorter shell may be better to put there. DD is 31 months, 21lbs and about 33" tall. She's a peanut, she still has tons of room in all her seats. I don't think the MyRide or TrueFit would be any shorter than the BLVD, but I could be wrong. The BLVD is as upright as can be...

What would you get? Ideally, I want to RF her to 4.............

ADS

jjordan

The new Britax seats seem to take up less space (front-back) than the older ones. I have an upright BV RF in my car and installed a MA70 at the same angle. The MA70 gave me 3" of clearance between the MA70 and the driver's seat when the driver's seat was all the way back. The BV is braced against the passenger's seat, which is not all the way back. I gained at LEAST 4" with the MA70.

For a small kid, I think RF to 4 is very realistic in one of the new Britax seats. My dd, age 4.5, is about average as far as torso length (has about 1" torso growth in a FF Radian). I tried her in a BV70 on the BRU test bench and she is *just* at the RF height limit now.

tarabelle

Thanks, I don't think I can convince DH to get a MA70... mostly because he's going to look at it and say "it's the same seat" and he hates the BLVD LOL... possibly the RA55 though..

I know I can recoup some of the costs by selling the BLVD which is less than 2 years old and I have an extra cover for it. I'm in Britax country, so it should sell relatively easily..

What about something cheap like a ComfortSport or Titan? (this is where I duck, I know) I can get one for less than $100 and use it until DD2 is out of the SS1 then put her into the CS behind the driver?

I'm going to have to go frugal on this seat because DH is already giving me the side eye about keeping her RF at this point, talking him into another $200+ seat may not be realistic.

This is so tough for me, I'm used to trying to help friends find seats with the highest harnesses and weights etc I checked the spreadsheet but that only gives the top harness height, not overall height of the seat

andre149

I'm not sure of the height on it, but target is now carrying a 40lb rearfacing scenera... Or for that matter as tiny as your dd is a regular one may work. They're inexpensive and install pretty upright :)

jjordan

You could get a roundabout 55 for $160 (20% off MSRP). How much do you think you could get for the boulevard? Your net cost might actually be less than buying a comfortsport or something now. (And, by the way, you might not really have much time left at all in a short seat like that. My ds is similar in size to your dd and he is at the RF height limit of the scenera, which I think typically lasts longer than a comfortsport.)

msg221

The new Britax seats seem to take up less space (front-back) than the older ones. I have an upright BV RF in my car and installed a MA70 at the same angle. The MA70 gave me 3" of clearance between the MA70 and the driver's seat when the driver's seat was all the way back. The BV is braced against the passenger's seat, which is not all the way back. I gained at LEAST 4" with the MA70.

For a small kid, I think RF to 4 is very realistic in one of the new Britax seats. My dd, age 4.5, is about average as far as torso length (has about 1" torso growth in a FF Radian). I tried her in a BV70 on the BRU test bench and she is *just* at the RF height limit now.

I found this to be true as well. I have a MA70 in my vehicle now and it has way more room behind the driver's seat than I ever did when I had a BLVD back there. I was worried, especially since you have to recline it back for rear facing, but I was still able to get it pretty upright even with the rear facing tether.

I was really hesitant about buying it at first, especially with the reports of the shorter shell, but Nour fits in it perfectly, with loads of room. She is a peanut as well, 28 months, 33 5/8 inches and 23 lbs. I was amazed at how much leg room she still has. She fell asleep in it the other day and I could finally see where her feet really hit since she was passed out. Her feet barely touch the vehicle seat back, so the new Britax seat definitely offers more leg room than the previous models. She also still has room to grow before outgrowing it by height rear facing. I'm confident I will be able to get her to 3 years old RF in this seat.

tarabelle

I haven't made a decision yet as to what we're going to do. DH and I are discussing picking up a 2nd Scenera (since we need a second backup seat for DD2 in time anyways) and then possibly selling the BLVD to fund a MA70 but for now we're just going to deal with it. I think since I'm in Britax country (seriously, the check I volunteered at, the majority of convertibles were Britax) I could probably get $150-175 w/ the additional cover.

I will come back and update once we make decisions and with fit info.

sunnymw

Best of luck!! I was also going to suggest looking into the CA or CALX... they are on Amazon for under $150 most of the time and RF to 40lbs, and last as long as (if not longer) than the Radian RFing. :)

NannyMom

I know there's not alot of love here for the small convertibles, like the Comfortsport or Titan you mentioned. I personally, :love: my Titan. My daughter has an average torso, and she made it to 3 years rear facing in it, when she outgrew it by height. You could buy a Titan Sport (it doesn't have 2 cup holders or infant padding, but it's cheaper) if DD1 fits in it now. Then pass it down to DD2, and DD1 can use the Boulevard again. And, I'd buy a Titan any day over a Comfortsport.

Spam

The coccoro is a small convertible and i'm guessing with her stats she'd easily still fit in it with room. It only rfs to 33lbs but since she's going on three now and only 21lbs she'd probably make it weight wise to four. If her torso is short, it's another seat to possibly look at. It takes up very little space.

sunnymw

I also second that the Titan elite I had was much better than the Comfortsport. But Avenues do go on sale frequently just never when I'm looking.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC