Votes: 2 20.0%

Votes: 4 40.0%

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Clicky!

Votes: 1 10.0%

• Total voters

P1ally

Can't decide... ETA- Decided! Thanks!

DS is about to turn 4, 41 inches, 34lbs, and usually RF in an XTSL. Here's my problem. DH will be riding in my car for our trip for the next 3 days. He's REALLY tall, and can't drive my car when DS if RF in anything.

At some point during the trip, I'd like DH to be able to drive (it's only a 2.5 hr drive, but still..)

Here's my options:

1- RF ds in the XTSL, drive the whole trip

2- RF ds in the XTSL, move the seat outboard when DH needs to drive (no side air bags, not a difficult install)

3- FF ds in one of our seats (SGCS, XTSL, or TF) the whole trip

4- RF ds in the TF, switch it FF when DH needs to drive

WWYD?

Last edited:
ADS

Keeanh

#1, and ask DH to drive back. 2.5hrs doesn't seem excessive to me. I would probably drive the whole way there and have DH drive the whole way back. Then you're not moving the seat during the trip.

But if you think that you might really need to switch drivers, I guess it depends on how comfortable you are with him FF, and how much patience your DH has for you messing with seats. If it was me, probably #3, because 4 is "old enough" and no way would DH have patience for a driver swap AND a seat swap after only an hour or so.

#4 is out for me. If you're gonna move a seat, might as well be RFing the whole time.

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
I'd do either 1 or 3. For me anything short of 10 hours solo straight driving is pretty easy, so it wouldn't occur to me to switch (or even stop) in a 2.5 hour trip. I'd just drive. However, if you think you'll switch, at nearly four years old I'd be fine with the trip done forward facing.

Wendy

Mommy2Marcus

I voted for 3. However if you really really want to keep him RF, then I would just go for #1. a 2.5 hour drive is really not that far. I have driven all the way to TN from my house & vise versa, which is 3.5 hours, without stopping. It does get tiresome if I am alone, but other than that it is not bad at all to drive straight through.

P1ally

I'm going to FF him in the XTSL.

Dh has no patience for moving seats, and what if he's asleep? Won't work.

The reason I'd want DH to drive is because I get a little sleepy after an hour. So this will work out fine, I'm just sad I have to FF him :(

Thanks guys!:love:

Sarah62008

Senior Community Member
I pick 1. One of you can drive there and the other can drive home. 2.5hrs really isn't that long. I do a 3hr trip alone(well, with DS) to VA all the time. We stop halfway to change his diaper, let me get up and walk, and grab a snack (10-15min) and then we are back on the road. This is only because I have problems driving or sitting for long periods of time with my knee and lower back and DS gets horrible diaper rash so bad that he HAS to be changed every time he is even a little bit wet. But I see no reason to switch drivers for a 2.5hr trip.

icnee

I would either do 1 or 2 but instead of switching the seat just for DH I would just do it for the whole trip.

babyherder

I'd rf in the XTSL outboard and have DH drive the whole time. I hate driving anyway. But I don't think its wrong to ff either.

karlatta

I'd drive the whole way and keep him RF. I always RF my kids on roadtrips so that they can sleep. 2.5 hours is no big thing to me, though. I regularly drive 5 or 6 hours by myself with the kids. Do you think having your DH with you would help keep you from getting sleepy?

karlatta

I'd drive the whole way and keep him RF. I always RF my kids on roadtrips so that they can sleep. 2.5 hours is no big thing to me, though. I regularly drive 5 or 6 hours by myself with the kids. Do you think having your DH with you would help keep you from getting sleepy?

Kat_Momof3

I'd move him outboard for the whole trip... so you don't have to mess with uninstalling/reinstalling just to switch drivers.

problem solved.

ETA: I wouldn't ff him if I didn't have to because rfing is more comfy for sleeping kids on long trips... no matter how supportive the seat is.

P1ally

Moving him outboard would mean DH still wouldn't be able to drive.

I'm FFing him for the trip (with a pillow to prop his feet up ;))

Thanks!

babyherder

I thought that if you rf your ds on the passenger's side that you would sit in front of him and your dh would drive. I would do that and then bring a pillow and sleep the whole trip. I'm really good at sleeping in the car. But it only works when I'm a passenger.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC