Convertible from Birth w/ Winter Baby?

Chely7425

Ok, I am thinking about getting a convertible to replace my infant seat for my new baby coming October 15th. The convertible would fit in the center MUCH better (would be replacing an SR35 with a MR) but I have NO idea how it is to have no bucket seat in the winter. We live in Western Washington so it isn't usually super COLD but it can be very wet. I love ti baby wear and have a bunch of good carriers, as well as a good stroller with lay flat seats. How does it logistically work not having a baby bucket?

ADS

Patriot201

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
I actually think it is easier to keep babies warm when they are worn in a carrier instead of being in a bucket. :eek: Therefore, I wouldn't have an issue AT ALL with using a convertible from birth. Perhaps if I lived in a SUPER-cold environment, such as parts of Canada, I would feel differently, but I don't, so I have different feelings.

Chely7425

How would you deal with it if it was like... pouring rain? Just stuff the baby in the carrier really fast?

Patriot201

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
Yup! Or, if you have room to sit down next to the seat, get the baby in the carrier and cover it as quickly as possible. :)

Chely7425

Definitely no room in the car to sit with the baby... I have 3 RF seats across the back of a jeep liberty :D

momto3girls

Senior Community Member
Here's what I've done with a baby in a convertible and having 3 across. Turn around in your seat unbuckle baby and slide baby up the back and pull to the front seat with you. Put baby in carrier cover with coat. Then get the other kids out.

Chely7425

Here's what I've done with a baby in a convertible and having 3 across. Turn around in your seat unbuckle baby and slide baby up the back and pull to the front seat with you. Put baby in carrier cover with coat. Then get the other kids out.

Ooo definitely never thought of that! Getting the convertible is looking like the way to go... I can't figure out how to get a 27 pound kid into the center seat after having a c/s....

lmd123

Have you tried a 3-across with a MyRide? It's a very wide seat... If you get it to work, post pictures!

Cryssy Jane

myride should fit well with the radians... but you already know radians fit your car beautifully and fits infants as well.

Carrie_R

Ambassador - CPS Technician
Pretty sure she's looking at putting a RF MR between two RF Radians, which would be narrower than 3 RF Radians.

An Aurora

Senior Community Member

That's what I did as well. My second was born in western WA as well, but in March, so not too cold but very rainy.

featherhead

Are you able to get the MyRide reclined appropriately in the center? In my car with Radians rear-facing outboard and MyRide rear-facing center, I couldn't get a newborn recline with the MyRide. The Radians install very upright in my car and the sides on the Radian (they rest behind the MyRide) would not allow the MyRide to be reclined more.

Chely7425

Yes, the MR actually puzzles PERFECTLY with the radians and with an appropriate newborn recline in my car. There is very little that does work back there but RF RN/RF MR/RF RN works very well. Now, a RF RN for a newborn? That wouldn't happen except with the passenger seat being un-usable.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
I had a friend who did it where they got lots of snow/sleet/rain. She would carry a fleece blanket and when getting other kids in/out etc. she'd have baby in the sling and throw the blanket over baby and tuck it around, to cover her head up and keep her warm and dry, etc.

lpperry

My baby is due on October 31 and I am not using a bucket. I hated the bucket with my first (now 17 months) and rarely took it anywhere. I am using a Coccoro this time. I like to baby wear, and I am sure I'll be using the stroller with a newborn and an 18 month old! I don't feel that I need a bucket though for any reason.

Oh, and when I wore Oliver in the winter time when he was 9-10 months old, I just wore my maternity coat. It buttoned right up around him!

Chely7425

Good idea about the blanket... we have 8 million of them so I will just make sure to keep a few in the car! For right now I just have our infant seat smooshed in the center... it doesn't puzzle NEARLY as well as the MR does but it works and I would rather save money for the combination seat I know my oldest is going to need. Sucks because the base of the infant seat fits so well between the raidians but then the widest part of the radian and the bumps on the handle of the infant seat hit all at the same place!!!!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC