Sigh...3 seats

Kleine hexe

My head is spinning. Right now I have a Caravan but we're looking at getting a different vehicle at some point in a bit.

I'm looking for *great* MPG because we drive a lot so I'd really like a greener car. Of course safety and fit are big factors. I'm trying to head away from minivans due to the low MPG. I'm loving the Ford Escape Hybrid *but* would i be able to fit 3 seats in it? The 2008 (I'd rather buy used though) says it has back hip room of 49.1 inches. :( Are older models perhaps a bit bigger in the back? I read on this forum that someone had 3 seats across the back.

Right now I have a Regent and a MA (which is RF at the moment)....I don't know what carseat I would get for child #3 yet. That baby is not even conceived yet. ;)

Perhaps Radians would fit? Although I *just* bought both Britaxes so DH would have a fit if I tried to get Radians. Maybe a Radian for the 3rd child?

I'm also thinking the Mazda5, the Highlander Hybrid, Freestyle. What about the Outback? Any other vehicles have close to (or better 30 MPG) and can fit 3 seats?

I did a search on this forum but thought I'd post again to see if there are new answers. :) (Most threads were from 2005.) Maybe I should just stick with 2 kids......my car decision would be much easier. :eek: And when, oh, *when* will the Estima be available in the US?

One more thing...I would also consider getting a deisel so I could use Biodeisel fuel.

Last edited:
ADS

southpawboston

i'll bet papooses can chime in on this one, she had a hybrid escape (briefly :whistle: ).

the only other vehicle from those you mentioned that will get 30 or higher MPG would be the highlander hybrid. but remember that any hybrid you buy, it will take years to recoup the initial premium in price paid for the vehicle by the increased gas mileage, and then there's also the issue of battery life... toyota says the battery pack has to be replaced after 8 years, and the currently predicted cost is $8000. the mazda5 also can't do 3-across, but it can do 2+2 in the second and third rows.

Kleine hexe

The seats don't have to be 3 across. I'm open to looking at pretty much any car that will have room for 3 seats, gets high MPG, and ranks well safety wise.

southpawboston

well every vehicle you mentioned does very well safety-wise, so the question becomes fuel efficiency and other features that you may like. interestingly, each of the vehicles you mentioned are *very* distinct from each other in terms of overall design and layout... mazda5 is tall and narrow, built in a compact car platform but with sliding doors and 3 rows. highlander is a crossover SUV based on a camry platform and only two rows (i think). freestyle is another crossover SUV, but larger than the highlander and with three rows. the outback is pretty much a station wagon with only two rows, and has AWD standard.

if you're looking for really high fuel efficiency (and it sounds like you're also looking for cargo capacity), your only choices are a hybrid or a smaller gas-only car, such as a toyota matrix/pontiac vibe. have you checked to see if the passat wagon is offered with a TDI engine? that could be a potential car for bio-diesel conversion.

natysr

I would probably go with the highlander hybrid. (Although I haven't priced them).

We purchased a Civic Hybrid this summer. It was only about $1500 more than the top of the line non-hybrid civic. Plus, we qualified for a $2,100 federal income tax credit, so that itself more than paid for the difference. Also, the battary is expected to last 150K miles, and replacement cost is $1,700.

skaterbabs

If you're open to imports, take a look at the Hyundai Elantra and Sonata. They both get good gas milage, and Hyundai gets very good safety ratinsg. They're also very reliable in my experience.

You can get an '01 Elantra for around $3-$4k, and it has 5 lap-shoulder belts and LATCH (!!) in two seating positions. It's fairly small, but 3-across is do-able. The Sonata can fit 3 Britax convertibles across.

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
The Camry hybrid is another one to consider. While it doesn't have 3 rows like the Highlander, I bet it has a roomier back seat than anything else with similar fuel economy.

Kleine hexe

I measured the Regent and MA to be 40 inches together. If I got another MA that would mean I need a min of 59 inches to get all seats in one row (if the vehicle didn't have 3rd row seating.)

What specs am I looking at? Do I look at interior hip room? If that's the case the Escape is only 49.1 in the back row. The Camry is 53.9

Jeanum

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Staff member
Rear seat hip room dimensions can give you a rough idea of how much room you would have to work with in the back seat, but it won't reflect the contouring of the back seat, which can influence carseat compatibility. Also the width of the carseats doesn't fully take into account how they might puzzle/mesh together in 3-dimensions side by side. For instance, the MA sits up on a base while the Regent sits low on the vehicle seat, as does the Radian, and seats up on a base tend to mesh better next to a seat with a lower profile, or a rear facing carseat might fit better next to a forward facing carseat.

Your best bet would be to try out your possible carseat combinations in a prospective vehicle before deciding which model to purchase. Most of us carseat enthusiasts have been known to bring along lots of seats with us to try when test driving cars. I had a salesman assume I was pregnant with multiples when were minivan shopping a couple of years ago because I brought so many seats with us to try, lol.

Have fun car shopping. :)

teekadog

We've looked at a Mazda 5, but haven't test driven or test fit car seats in it yet. My concern in the small size especially with large rfing seats. I'll post here if I try my rfing MAs in it in the future.

I would love a Highlander Hybrid, but can't afford it. I hear you on the Estima... Toyota had thought to make a hybrid Sienna by 08, but that's been pushed back to 2010 now.

I haven't looked at the Freestyle. Does it really get better gas mileage than a minivan?

We're limiting our search to vehicles with 3 rows of seats, so I don't know anything about the Outback or the Ford Escape.

You could look into the upper levels of the Honda Odyssey, which have an more advanced engine that gets slightly better gas mileage.

Kleine hexe

Rear seat hip room dimensions can give you a rough idea of how much room you would have to work with in the back seat, but it won't reflect the contouring of the back seat, which can influence carseat compatibility. Also the width of the carseats doesn't fully take into account how they might puzzle/mesh together in 3-dimensions side by side. For instance, the MA sits up on a base while the Regent sits low on the vehicle seat, as does the Radian, and seats up on a base tend to mesh better next to a seat with a lower profile, or a rear facing carseat might fit better next to a forward facing carseat.

Your best bet would be to try out your possible carseat combinations in a prospective vehicle before deciding which model to purchase. Most of us carseat enthusiasts have been known to bring along lots of seats with us to try when test driving cars. I had a salesman assume I was pregnant with multiples when were minivan shopping a couple of years ago because I brought so many seats with us to try, lol.

Have fun car shopping. :)

I do plan on trying my seats in different cars. I'm sure the sales person will love me. :D

I have the Regent and the RF MA smack next to each other right now in my van. I'm not sure how they would fit together if the MA was FF on that little bench seat. I just figure at some point I'll have 3 kids all FF at the same time. (?) Let's see my 6 yr old is about 38 lbs. He'll proably be 7 when babe#3 is born. #3 kid will stay RF until 33 lbs so about 3 to 4 years according to how my children grow. So 7+4 = 12. DS #1 will be 12 by the time I need to turn #3 FF. You think at 12 he will be under 80lbs and in a 5 pt harness? So perhaps it's a safe bet to test the fit of the carseats with 2 seats FF and 1 RF. Did my self rambling make sense? :lol

We've looked at a Mazda 5, but haven't test driven or test fit car seats in it yet. My concern in the small size especially with large rfing seats. I'll post here if I try my rfing MAs in it in the future.

I would love a Highlander Hybrid, but can't afford it. I hear you on the Estima... Toyota had thought to make a hybrid Sienna by 08, but that's been pushed back to 2010 now.

I haven't looked at the Freestyle. Does it really get better gas mileage than a minivan?

We're limiting our search to vehicles with 3 rows of seats, so I don't know anything about the Outback or the Ford Escape.

You could look into the upper levels of the Honda Odyssey, which have an more advanced engine that gets slightly better gas mileage.

I can't afford a Highlander Hybrid either. We'll see. I may find a great deal somewhere.

The Freestyle (according to Ford website) gets MPG of 20/27. The Odyssey gets 18/25. The Mazda5 gets 22/27 for manual and 21/26 for automatic. The Escape Hybrid gets 34/30 2WD which is why I want that one....but I don't think I can fit 3 seats in it.

MagnificentMama

Senior Community Member
I don't know if this helps, but I can fit a Regent and 2 MAs in the back of my Impala. It has awesome gas mileage (i think somewhere around 32-36mpg) as well as some nice safety features. I do admit that I don't have ESC, but i think an impalas roll over rate was like 10-11% or something. I guess it's just a matter of opinion becuase I do like driving SUVs for a short period of time, but I prefer cars hands down so i might be biased.

Synchro246

DS #1 will be 12 by the time I need to turn #3 FF. You think at 12 he will be under 80lbs and in a 5 pt harness? So perhaps it's a safe bet to test the fit of the carseats with 2 seats FF and 1 RF. Did my self rambling make sense? :lol
I don't know if he'll be 80lb, but I'd bet he'll be too tall for the regent at that point. . . or pretty darn close.

I don't know if this helps, but I can fit a Regent and 2 MAs in the back of my Impala. It has awesome gas mileage (i think somewhere around 32-36mpg) as well as some nice safety features. I do admit that I don't have ESC, but i think an impalas roll over rate was like 10-11% or something. I guess it's just a matter of opinion becuase I do like driving SUVs for a short period of time, but I prefer cars hands down so i might be biased.
Hey now that's AWESOME! I seem to remember Impalas having really nice crash test ratings too. :D :thumbsup:

I'd bet you could find a really affordable one of those. I was considering one. . .now that I know 3 accross is possible I'm lamenting my choice a bit :(

skaterbabs

Something to consider - some of the larger sedans don't get significantly better gas milage than the small minivans or SUVs. And some actually get worse - despite what the stickers say.

We have a Suburban for family trips, but I use our Jeep when it's just DD and me because the cost & carbon footprint of owning 2 vehicles is actually less than just the Suburban.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC