so hypothetical ?

I had to get tons of info this week for DD's preschool, while doing so I went by the precinct to get copies of laws (straight from their law books )

Anyways while there the cop, said that the law here for boostering is 4 years old AND 40 lbs.. I told her of course not a problem for us as we extended everything when it comes to car seats, but it is a good point to address at the school since many of those kids are not 4 yet or 40 lbs.

My thought later is what if I have a 7 year old who is 38 lbs, is it breaking the law to take her out of a 5 pt harness???

Also another Question.. the other mom driving with me, has a daughter who is 39.5 lbs, she just got her a parkway SG (basically cause they school insisted on boosters, but she was not really thrilled with the idea) Anyways now that she has it she wants to booster train, she asked me if she can use it even though her daughter is like half a lb away from the minimum (she is like 4.5) I personally think it is probably fine... butttttt.. I wanted to ask you all for her first.

ADS

Kat_Momof3

I would not go against a seat restriction... the law is such a tough thing... I'd love to say I wouldn't break it... but then you have those 38lb 7yr olds who are probably fine in a booster... I think the law needs to allot for gray areas.

Pixels

I'm not seeing a 4 and 40 restriction in your law, other than for student transportation vehicles. Kids under 1 and 20 must be RFing; under 6 and 60 must be in an appropriate seat.

In a student transportation vehicle, kids over 4yo must be in a child restraint or in the seatbelt. Kids under 4 who weigh less than 40 must be in a child restraint. (Note the loophole for kids under 4 but who weigh more than 40.)

So a 7yo 38 pound child would have to be in a child restraint (includes a booster). CT law doesn't distinguish between harnessing and booster use.

I'm not seeing a 4 and 40 restriction in your law, other than for student transportation vehicles. Kids under 1 and 20 must be RFing; under 6 and 60 must be in an appropriate seat.

In a student transportation vehicle, kids over 4yo must be in a child restraint or in the seatbelt. Kids under 4 who weigh less than 40 must be in a child restraint. (Note the loophole for kids under 4 but who weigh more than 40.)

So a 7yo 38 pound child would have to be in a child restraint (includes a booster). CT law doesn't distinguish between harnessing and booster use.

I read the same ( I have been working up a report for the teachers on state laws all week, that I presented them on Fri) I excluded anything about 4 years and 40 lbs even though the cop told me there was cause I know most of the cops around her are really car seat info impaired.

Anyways I think I am just going to let the girl use Juliannas parkway, I told her mom that she can ride in any seat she feels comfortable with in my car so long as it is legal, and installed correctly and the child fits.. Juliannas older style parkway has the 30 lb min..and the mom has been booster training, so I am fine with it if she is comfortable with it. But I might lock her belt.

Anyways I guess the other issue is that I think I am getting a cow moo parkway on Wed, because Juliannas turbobooster broke a while ago and I have been waiting to replace it with something, that is what she wants, and I know I want a parkway sg for Fiona when she is old enough and big enough to ride in one, (she is waif like so I like the SG)
The plan was to get it for Julianna to ride in for the next year and a half or so, and then pass it down to Fiona (but concerned about what she will weigh in a year and a half, I am guessing right around 40 lbs but no more for sure) and Let Julianna go backless at 9.5..
I have another question but I will ask in another thread lol

CTPDMom

Ambassador - CPS Technician
Meghan!!! Holy cow...you KNOW that your local police don't know what they're talking about. You have the statute. Why on earth would you just believe something they said? :confused: Trust me, there is no such 4/40 law in CT.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC