Question Alpha Omega & clones base clarification

ADS

Kecia

Admin - CPST Instructor
If the base on the Dorel AO/AOE/3-in-1 is removable then you can see and access the metal rod that secures it to the base. On the newest versions, with un-removable bases - the rod is not visible or accessible. Basically, it's not possible to remove the bases on the new Dorel 3-in-1 seats.

HTH!

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
Yeah, it was a cool feature...BUT... the new bases are much, much better designed, you really wouldn't actually want to take it off :) (probably same with the new Britaxes, lol).

TXAggieTech

So if the base is removable it can always be used baseless? I was told by a tech yesterday that some could not be used without the base while rear facing, just forward facing. A child left forward facing that had parents receptive to rfing only because they did not like the fit with the base.

Kecia

Admin - CPST Instructor
I wonder where they got that idea? :scratcheshead: It certainly wasn't from the CR instruction manual. If the Dorel 3-in-1 base is removable then it MUST be removed for booster mode and it's optional for both RF and FF. You lose the recline mechanism on the base if you use it RF without but that's why we have pool noodles. IMO, this is just another example of why every check event should have summary sheets available for techs.

TXAggieTech

See, she said it was from the manual. I'm wondering if she misread. She is in a full time position so normally I would defer to her knowledge. If it was true the I NEED to know so I don't screw up something, that is a pretty big change.

Not a single seat that I checked had the manual so I'm glad it was all either seats I know well (marathons and AOs) or seats we replaced.

How would I find copies of the different AO manuals? I'm wondering if I could email Dorel for something in writing. On their website you have to have a product number before you can download the manual and my cd is old.

murphydog77

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
All of the AO manuals are essentially the same except the layout may be slightly different due to instructions for accessories that one seat may not have (eg, Eddie Bauer version vs Cosco version). The true differences come when the seat is different, like the All-in-One vs the AOE. Even then, the seat is still mostly the same, but the base is different.

We're finishing up the summaries right now and should have the CD out in the next month and a half or so. Believe me, I spend an inordinate amt of time trying to figure out the differences between these darn seats and I still can't tell you straight off if you can tell easily by looking at them if the bases are removable or if they're the 40 or 50 lbs version.

TXAggieTech

The true differences come when the seat is different, like the All-in-One vs the AOE. Even then, the seat is still mostly the same, but the base is different.

So then could it be that she had and AOE? Does it have different rules for the bases as to FFing and RFing?

Across all the Alphas/3-in-1s is a 'required for harnessing' base going to be marked this or would you have to have the manual to know?

I guess now I am second guessing my past installs. What if I removed a base that was required? I have never seen anything other than the straight metal rod that you push the tab down to pull out.

Judi

CPST/Firefighter
Ok, this is the non-removable base:

100_1024.jpg

100_1025.jpg

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
So then could it be that she had and AOE? Does it have different rules for the bases as to FFing and RFing?

Across all the Alphas/3-in-1s is a 'required for harnessing' base going to be marked this or would you have to have the manual to know?

I guess now I am second guessing my past installs. What if I removed a base that was required? I have never seen anything other than the straight metal rod that you push the tab down to pull out.

Don't worry, don't second guess yourself. If the base is removable, then it was optional, RF or FF, and it was mandatory to take off as a booster. That's how I make it simple for myself :thumbsup: (except the Summit, you can take that base off, but it must not be used off... gotta be an exception to every rule, I guess, lol). I saw the new non-removable bases on the new AOE's and drove myself crazy trying to figure out how to get it off, and you just can't (and the manual says nothing about taking it off, I stood there and read it after the base confused me :whistle:).

murphydog77

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member

Nope, no different rules. If the base removes, it removes for whenever you want. It's much easier to install the darn thing without the base when it's rf--or whenever, really, without the base. And like Julie said, only the Summit/Deluxe HBB can have the base removed when it shouldn't be at all :confused::mad::confused::mad::confused::mad:.

Don't worry, don't second guess yourself. If the base is removable, then it was optional, RF or FF, and it was mandatory to take off as a booster. That's how I make it simple for myself :thumbsup: (except the Summit, you can take that base off, but it must not be used off... gotta be an exception to every rule, I guess, lol). I saw the new non-removable bases on the new AOE's and drove myself crazy trying to figure out how to get it off, and you just can't (and the manual says nothing about taking it off, I stood there and read it after the base confused me :whistle:).

:love:

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC