I'm getting a new to me car

glockchick

So of course I need help picking car seats. :D

http://i980.photobucket.com/albums/ae287/srlinder5/Craigstlist1003.jpg

It's a 2001 Civic, 5 speed stick. :) LATCH and tether anchors in both outboard positions and a lap/shoulder belt in the center. :)

This is for me to drive back and forth to school because gas is killing us in the 4x4 suburban so I'll have Kaleigh and Caleb with me more often than not. I have to figure out what to do about car seats for them.

I can move seats from the Suburban but that will put me in a jam anytime I have to take everyone somewhere in the evening. I have extra cheap seats, but in a car that small, I want as much protection for them as I can get. I could put the cheap seats in my truck, but we take long trips in my truck so I want comfy ones in there as well.

Here are the seats I have. Maybe y'all can help me make it work. It wouldn't hurt my feelings too badly if I had to get new seats either. ;)

Here's what I have that fits each kid.

Kaleigh - Nautilus, FF-ing old style BLVD, Turbobooster (not happening, but she is within the limits)
Caleb - 2 RFing MAs, Cosco Scenera

Will anything fit in that car rear-facing for CJ? He's 2 years and 9 months old now, 30 lbs. The Scenera would, but I want EPS foam at the very least.

The other thing to consider is that Kaleigh will be going to school next year so she'll only need something for about 8 months in both dh's vehicle and the civic. After that, her seats will be spares or passed down to CJ so I don't want to spend a ton, but I do want her as safe as reasonably possible.

ADS

Pixels

Nice car. :) I have a 2002 Civic manual.

Will there be a front seat passenger very often? You can fit anything RFing behind the passenger seat if you give it up. Actually, you can fit most seats behind the passenger seat and fit an average-sized or smaller adult without difficulty. No advanced airbags, so you can brace. DH (5'8") has ridden in the passenger's seat with the Radian RFing outboard.

The TrueFit fits nicely RFing with plenty of room for the front seats. The FFing install was acceptable but I didn't love it.

The Turbobooster is a no-go outboard in the Civic because it overhangs at the side.

Were you thinking of three-across in the Civic? Because, um, that's not going to happen easily.

glockchick

Thanks. :) I'm excited.

No, I just need to two littles to fit in the 3rd row. I would be nice if I could fit Abigail as well, but not necessary. My 11 or 13 year old might right in the front seat occasionally but that would be it.

Defrost

Moderator - CPSTI Emeritus
My sister used to have a Civic about that year (I forget specifically which, sorry.) We played with carseats in it a year or two ago and I took pics. Radian behind the passenger stole a LOT of room, but it was still usable for a short adult. Something like a MA that's easier to get upright was much better. I seem to recall getting the RN RF in the center and it fitting between the front seats with both of them pushed all the way back, but I may be remembering wrong.

If you're interested in the pics let me know and I'll dig them up. Hopefully I also labelled them with the year of her car!

Pixels

Radian RFing in the center works for a while, but over reclines with time due to the vehicle seat cushion compressing.

glockchick

The TB or the GN is a no go?

Because I was thinking I'd put the GN in for Kaleigh and a MA for CJ and then use the Scenera for him in the Suburban and get Kaleigh a Maestro or CA depending on which is narrower.

I will NOT put a MA or BLVD ff-ing in the civic due to the transport Canada tests.

Pics would be great. Dh is bringing it home now. I need something to do while I'm waiting. :)

glockchick

Nice car. :) I have a 2002 Civic manual.

The TrueFit fits nicely RFing with plenty of room for the front seats. The FFing install was acceptable but I didn't love it.

TFP or just the plain TF? I'd love the premier for the rebound control but if it won't fit, it won't fit.

Defrost

Here's the link to the album (that was easier than I'd thought - I'd forgotten I'd put them in an album!) I didn't include the model year, though. I really want to say that hers was an '01 just like our Golf is, but I could be wrong.
http://s75.photobucket.com/albums/i301/alunatic_photos/Civic/

As you can see, we stuffed a TB in there, but PP's right, it did overhang. I didn't consider than an issue, but then again we were just trying them out, not intending to use them. I think the TB might not overhang if it wasn't a 3-across situation? Since it could "steal" room from the center, yk?

As you can see from the one pic, the TA is really close to the back of the vehicle seat, so you might have issues with the FF tether.

Pixels

The TB or the GN is a no go?

Because I was thinking I'd put the GN in for Kaleigh and a MA for CJ and then use the Scenera for him in the Suburban and get Kaleigh a Maestro or CA depending on which is narrower.

I will NOT put a MA or BLVD ff-ing in the civic due to the transport Canada tests.

Pics would be great. Dh is bringing it home now. I need something to do while I'm waiting. :)

Oh, I didn't even think about the GN overhanging on the side, too. Yeah, it would probably overhang, not allowed. :( It's the shape of the seat. See in Defrost's album, how the corner of the seat is angled? That's the problem.

TFP or just the plain TF? I'd love the premier for the rebound control but if it won't fit, it won't fit.

I have the plain TF. My understanding is that the TFP takes up 1-2 inches more room. If you'd like, I can take some pics later today.

Pixels

Psst, Defrost, the album says it's an 01. 01-02 are identical, 03-05 very nearly so (03-05 have adjustable rear head restraints, 01-02 don't).

glockchick

Of course. Who doesn't love pics? ;)

I got to drive her last night. I love it. I've missed having a stick. Hopefully I'll get time to play car seats later today. I need to take it in for a front end alignment before I start driving it to and from school so I don't need seats in it just yet.

Defrost

Psst, Defrost, the album says it's an 01. 01-02 are identical, 03-05 very nearly so (03-05 have adjustable rear head restraints, 01-02 don't).

:doh: This is what I get for trying to think and sleep at the same time. Thanks for pointing that out!

amyd

I drive a 2004. Nauti fits just fine. No overhang. I've had a Marathon rfing, TF rfing, currently have a Radian XT rfing. For forward facing, I've had the MA, GN, TF, Scenera, AOE, XTSL. All install beautifully. It's a great car for seat installs. I'm 5'10" with long legs (34" inseam) and don't have any problems being a passenger in front of the Radian RFing. I can drive with the TF or the MA behind me.

glockchick

Awesome to hear Amy. Thanks!

So I'm thinking if it fits, I'll do the GN center and the MA rfing passenger side.

Do you think I should get less expensive seats for in the Suburban or just move seats when I need to take that car? It will be at least every weekend unless we take dh's envoy and the civic places instead of moving seats.

amyd

I don't think you'll get the Nauti and the MA side by side. Is someone sitting on the other side of the Nauti? I'd try to do both outboard if you can. I've never tried it center.

Pixels

So I'm thinking if it fits, I'll do the GN center and the MA rfing passenger side.

:ROTFLMAO:

Sorry. Um, no, no way will they fit side by side. I can't get independent installs of a Marathon and Radian facing the same direction. To fit three Radians in the car, they have to be alternating directions (FF/RF/FF or RF/FF/RF).

Pixels

I used the TrueFit for most of these pics. The TF is within half an inch of being the same width as the Nautilus

100_0470.JPG

Radian and TrueFit, both seatbelt installs as far outboard as I could get them. That's my LATCH manual in between, which is a bit smaller than 8.5 by 11 inches. I think there's 10.5-11 inches between the seatbelt buckles, less further up.
(Disclaimer: My TF is usually used RFing for my 2yo. I didn't move the harness for these pictures. The harness can't be in the second position when FFing. No child rode in the seat this way.)

100_0471.JPG

TrueFit, driver's side, seatbelt install. The outboard seatbelt anchor is forward of the bight, which makes some installs difficult. You can see that there is a gap behind the TF, but if I push the TF back, the seatbelt actually has to go back to reach the belt path and then the seat pulls forward much more than an inch. You can also see that the TF is hanging off the front a bit.

100_0472.JPG

Radian, passenger's side, seatbelt install as far outboard as possible. Radian overhangs as well.
(Yes, I have junk on the floor of my back seat. Most of it is soft, except that box, which is normally wedged in position by the front seat. I cleaned out my car just after taking these pics.)

100_0473.JPG

TrueFit, driver's side, tether, taken through my filthy back window. :eek: Plenty of room to tighten the tether. You can see that the TF is over the top of the center seatbelt.

http://lh5.ggpht.com/_fEUUghv6WuI/TJ-uO9K6RKI/AAAAAAAAASM/5_Z3xyd3LvE/s400/100_0475.JPG
Radian and RFing TrueFit. TF installed with LATCH, as the seatbelt install is possible, but very difficult and I wasn't going to fight with it. The TrueFit takes up almost half the width of the back seat.

100_0476.JPG

TrueFit, 35 degree install.

100_0479.JPG

Space between the 35 degree TF and front seat with the seat where my 5'4" self drives. It's probably 1.5-2 inches.

Pixels

DH helped me get the pics off my phone. This is a three-across, RF Radian (naked) seatbelt, FF Radian seatbelt, BabyTrend seatbelt/locking clip.

07-30-10_1950.jpg

07-30-10_1952.jpg

07-30-10_1953.jpg

amyd

Here's a Marathon RFing (about 40deg, IIRC)

IMG_0478.jpg

And a good spot for a D-ring (had to pop off a plastic piece, but it came off very easily).

IMG_0479.jpg

TF about 35deg. It's touching the driver's seat headrest lightly (can slide a hand between). This is the seat back far enough for me to drive.

IMG_0501.jpg

XTSL & FFing MA

IMG_1649.jpg

IMG_1650.jpg

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC