Small SUV / Pickup

slgroves

We're looking at buying a new (or newer!) small SUV or pickup with double cab (or possibly both) and trading in our Liberty and/or Tacoma. Any suggestions? My husband would probably lean toward the 4 door new Tacomas, but they're so expensive. I've glanced at the info on the Saturn Vue, Toyota Rav-4 and the Suzuki VX-7 or whatever the letters are. The Hyundai Santa Fe doesn't look too bad, either. We're looking first for safety, second for gas mileage, and then price. I'd love some advice. We have to have 4WD or AWD as we have a very steep and treacherous driveway & the winters can be rough. We like the LIberty, but the gas mileage is terrible. Thanks!

ADS

natysr

Honestly, I have not researched the safety or gas mileage specs of SUVs in a while.

We did have a 2003 Nissan Pathfinder which we really liked. My husband had a seizure while driving it and ran head on through and intersection and into a soundwall. He walked away with only a minor scratch on his hand. We decided to replace it with a 2005 pathfinder. We really like that one too. It is a small SUV, doesn't get great gas mileage, but for its size, it can tow quite a bit. I have Jordan's boulevard installed rearfacing in the passenger side 2nd row. One thing I like about it is that it has a 2-seater 3rd row that can pop up. It doesn't leave much cargo room if the 3rd row is popped up, but it is great for those time when visitors come over etc.

bectoo2

I know this wasn't listed but is a small SUV. We have an 06 Honda CRV and have been very happy with it. It has good gas mileage and has handled well through it's first Nebraska winter. It doesn't have the third row seat option like the newer Rav4's though (I have heard that that 3rd row in the Rav4's are pretty tiny, maybe good for kids). Another thing, I think 06 and earlier CRV's do not have center latch in the back seat but the new 07 models do. Good luck with your decision!

Becky

beeman

Well, I'm a Ford guy, so I'm going to have to recomend that. Last I checked they didn't do to bad for safety, and there fuel milage is improving. If you're going for fuel economy you could try a diesel and go for the biodiesel trend. I have friends who claim it increases milage to run biodiesel, so it might be worth a shot. Foreign engines are supposed to be more suited for biodiesel than American ones, because the biodiesel burns slightly hotter than regular diesel, and the foreing engines can handle the heat better. Hybrids are an excellent option for fuel economy, but initial purchase cost is more I believe.

twokidstwodogs

If you really need 4WD or AWD, and it sounds like you do, I'd research those systems because your safety on your driveway will depend on it. Some AWD systems are better than others. (Southpaw can probably tell you which ones are best.)

I'm biased in favor of Subarus, but their AWD system is known to be one of the best. Could you get by with a Forester? It has awesome crash test ratings. AWD hurts the gas mileage on any car, but you can make up for that by choosing a car no bigger than you need and getting one with an appropriate engine. The basic automatic Forester gets 23/28 mpg according to the EPA. CR-Vs and RAV-4s should be similar, but if you really depend on AWD to get you someplace, take a good look at Subarus. There's a reason they're super-popular in the northeast and other places with a lot of snow.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC