2001 Dodge Dakota Top tether

jourdysmom

CPST Instructor
Trying to install a Scenera FF in Dodge Dakota Extended Cab 2001 on a tiny back seat.

Owner has asked for RF and FF help and we had no issues RF in center, FF is an issue in center or Passenger outboard positions as it does overhang, she put the child in it and it immediately tipped forward (even with TT she told me). I went to help her today and took pics as I was flabbergasted to say the least.

She bought the truck used so no owners manual, seat is new 40RF 40FF Scenera. I thought long and hard about whether the TT is the same as a truck we did in class where you go thru the loop and over to the next loop, but with no manual I was at a loss. The ring is too small for clip to fit thru, it is barely bigger than my finger...

I advised her that she needs to keep child RF until we resolve this. She does fit RF but they say it is a hassle. Child is 2 and is still within the 1" of shell above her head. Help please?

Overhang is less than 20%. I can actually get the outer curved edges of the front onto the seat, but without a tight TT it won't stay as soon as child gets in...

How she had it.

The loops, there are 3 across the back.

Last edited:
ADS

April

Its hard to see from the pictures, but I'm not sure I'm comfortable with that overhang. Also, if the top tether is required to hold the seat in place, its not an acceptable install to begin with. In any event, the correct way to attach the top tether is to thread the tether through the fabric loop immediately behind the carseat, and then hook it to the metal ring on the adjacent fabric loop.
Posted via Mobile Device

Defrost

Moderator - CPSTI Emeritus
The top tether is NOT designed to prevent this kind of tipping-forward before a crash. I think you've got a FF incompatibility. :(

jourdysmom

CPST Instructor
Those pics were taken when I first got to it, she did have it tight with some wiggle but less than 1 inch, unless there was weight on the front edge of the seat (like child climbing in). I was able to get that lip up onto the seat but not the whole thing...

What FF (convertible) seats would fit on a bench like that then? My MA does, but that is out of her price range...

Pixels

Did you try the Scenera FFing in reclined mode? It's allowed, only when you can't get a good install with the seat upright. I'm thinking that with the stand folded under and the lip hanging over the edge (less than 20% overhang), the bottom of the seat itself (like, directly opposite baby's body) will be in contact with the vehicle seat and it will stay level.

Defrost

What FF (convertible) seats would fit on a bench like that then? My MA does, but that is out of her price range...

I think anything with more of a solid base would fit - it's the lip on the Scenera that's the problem. Maestro? Apex? Complete Air? I'm trying to think of seats that would be in her price range.

jourdysmom

CPST Instructor
I think anything with more of a solid base would fit - it's the lip on the Scenera that's the problem. Maestro? Apex? Complete Air? I'm trying to think of seats that would be in her price range.

The Complete Air is mammoth in comparison to a Scenera though isn't it? I have only seen one once at Target on a display. She needs/wants a Convertible, so the Apex/Maestro is out.

jourdysmom

CPST Instructor
Did you try the Scenera FFing in reclined mode? It's allowed, only when you can't get a good install with the seat upright. I'm thinking that with the stand folded under and the lip hanging over the edge (less than 20% overhang), the bottom of the seat itself (like, directly opposite baby's body) will be in contact with the vehicle seat and it will stay level.

I never knew that this was an acceptable fix like EVER... that was the ONE thing that they drilled into our brains in class was Scenera foot down RF, UP UP UP for FF.... (Most every seat you see here is a Scenera). Not doubting you, just had never seen or heard of it. I am sure that after she spent extra to get it to 40 RF she would want to spend more to get another new seat. Cannot be returned, she bought it like the day they hit the shelves at Target, but this vehicle is new to her...(and a pain in the butt LOL)

Defrost

The Complete Air is mammoth in comparison to a Scenera though isn't it? I have only seen one once at Target on a display. She needs/wants a Convertible, so the Apex/Maestro is out.

Why does she want a convertible if she's not going to use it RF?

I don't think the CA's that much bigger than the Scenera. I can't say for sure that it will fit, of course, but as it's not the size so much that's the issue, but the lip, something bigger than the Scenera could still fit with an appropriate amount of overhang.

aeormsby

About the tether, you put the tether thru the webbing loop at the location where it is installed and hook it to the metal loop at one of the other seats. On our dodge it looks pretty much the same as those (ours is a 2004) and I can fit the adjuster thru the webbing loop...
100_5648.JPG

Pixels

I never knew that this was an acceptable fix like EVER... that was the ONE thing that they drilled into our brains in class was Scenera foot down RF, UP UP UP for FF.... (Most every seat you see here is a Scenera). Not doubting you, just had never seen or heard of it. I am sure that after she spent extra to get it to 40 RF she would want to spend more to get another new seat. Cannot be returned, she bought it like the day they hit the shelves at Target, but this vehicle is new to her...(and a pain in the butt LOL)

It's in the manual, I think pages 13 and 14 or 14 and 15, something like that. One page says that the seat may be reclined for FFing, the other page says that you can only recline it FFing if you can't get a good install with it upright.

I was incredulous the first time I heard it, as well. The only other seats that I had heard of using FFing in reclined mode were the Britaxes.

Defrost

because she plans to use it for the duration of its life with other children...:whistle: to each their own I guess LOL

I'm not sure that's going to be an option on that budget with that vehicle. You might try pointing out that a combo seat could also be used for the duration of its life with other children.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC