Tiffany, Kecia--3 across a Taurus?

scatterbunny

Tiffany, I read on carseatdata.org forums that you fit a Husky and two boosters across a Taurus; what year was it?

Kecia, I know you had a Taurus; what configurations did you do in it, and what year was it?

ADS

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
It was a rental from the dealership last year so I forget exactly, but probably 2004-2005.... Although my co-worker's older Taurus (mid to late 90s) *looks* as roomy: just haven't tested it out or measured. Isn't there somewhere online that lists hip room? Can we find that for different years?

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
Someone on another board easily can get a Turbo/Radian/Touriva in her older Taurus... come to think of it, that's cake compared to a Regent, but oh well, I just had to answer, lol.

scatterbunny

Thanks, guys. :)

The measurements I looked up said 54.something for the 95 (the oldest I will go, it's the really old body style) and 56.something for the 96-98 (the newest I can afford to go). Odd since the older style LOOKS bigger to me, but oh well! I'd rather have the newer one anyway. :p

I am PRAYING I can fit the Husky in the middle and boosters outboard.

emandbri

A friend of mine had one I think a 96 and had a roundabout, marathon, and star riser in it.
Good Luck!

RubysGirl

We've done three across my friends car when she had it, it was a 93. I don't remember what combo but the seats that frequented it were Touriva, OHS Ultura, Century Smartfit?(convertable), and an evenflo discovery.

At one point I think there was two OHS and a touriva. They're nice and roomy.

Kecia

Admin - CPST Instructor
Jenny, I had an '01 Taurus (which was the first year that had LATCH). I remember that when I needed to have 3-across (because I was babysitting) I specifically didn't buy a Husky because I didn't think it would work.

After Jack was born (and I wasn't babysitting anymore) I was able to get the Husky installed outboard with the recline bar and still squeeze the SIV w/base in the center but the SIV was *really* narrow. The center seating position was the only spot that I could get a tight install with the SIV so I really needed to put it there and have the Husky outboard.

The problem with the backseat in the Taurus (at least with the newer body style) is that the edges of the cushion are contoured so you don't get a flat surface to work with for the whole width of the backseat. Does that make sense? The Husky actually takes up less space if it's outboard and you use the recline bar. Position the recline bar as far to the edge as it will go and the Husky itself flares out towards the door - this puts the child closer to the door but gives you as much room as possible for other seats.

FWIW, the SR/C and the Parkway do work well in the Taurus. And the old Polo (McKinley?) fits nicely too. Keep in mind that your buckles are going to be forward of the bight which may cause a problem with seats that need to be installed (but the Husky is fine and so are the other Britax convertibles).

I have some old pictures here:

http://www.geocities.com/protectwhatulove/3acrossTaurus.html

http://www.geocities.com/protectwhatulove/Marathon.html

http://www.geocities.com/protectwhatulove/boosterseatphotos.html

HTH!

Kecia

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC