Help me with the tech update class!

Judi

CPST/Firefighter
Ok, yes, it is early. I can't sleep and need to get this out. Below is what was in my head, so maybe now I can sleep. My plan is to have groups of two with each group of seat(s). I will have this sheet printed out so they are write notes, with measuring tapes at each station.

There will be a table with a group of seats, then a vehicle seat, then another table with a group of seats, etc. Vehicle seats: 2000 suburban, Sienna, 2000 Windstar. Wish I have more with built in belts. I will work on borrowing the dial-a-belt.

So, can you all go through my list and see if I am missing things. etc? This group has probably never seen most of these seats, so I figured putting this thread here, rather than the technicians forum, would be good.

Also, do you think I pick good seats? Should some not go?

Comparison of models:

Marathon vs. Marathon 70 vs Boulevard 70:

-height of lowest slot
-height of top slot
-RF weight limit
-FF weight limit
-must you use the lock offs?
-Where is the locking clip?
-how does it fit your newborn doll?
-is there extra padding avaible for an infant?

Frontier vs. Frontier 85:

-height of lowest slot
-height of top slot
-FF weight limit
-how many different ways are there to install?
-booster mode, how do you do that?
-which way for the recline bar

Vivo vs. Probooster:

-lowest height for belt guide
-top height of belt guide
-seat depth
-does it make into a backless? If so, how?

Radian 65 vs. Radian XTSL:

-height of lowest slot
-height of top slot
-RF weight limit
-FF weight limit
-must you use the boot for rear facing?
-how does it fit your neworn doll?
-when do you use the safe stop?

Other:

Coccoro:

-height of lowest slot
-height of top slot
-RF weight limit
-how does it fit your neworn doll?
-FF weight limit
-where is the locking clip?
-how many different ways are there to install?
-what is that recline block for?

True Fit Premier:

-height of lowest slot
-height of top slot
-RF weight limit
-FF weight limit
-what is that blue thing under the seat, when do you use it?
-must you use the lock offs?
-can you use without the headrest, if so when?
-can it be reclined FFing?

MyRide 65:

-height of lowest slot
-height of top slot
-RF weight limit
-FF weight limit
-how does it recline for rear facing?
-when using the third slot up, which loop on the harness should you be using?

Complete Air:

-height of lowest slot
-height of top slot
-RF weight limit
-FF weight limit

KeyFit Strada:

-lowest height for belt guide
-top height of belt guide
-seat depth
-does it make into a backless? If so, how?

Last edited:
ADS

WhatAboutPuppy

Ok, I helped a mama earlier this week and her roundabout (borrowed from reliable source with no manual) was horribly wrong. She bought a locking clip because the seat didn't have one so she assumed it was missing. Could you ask the locking clip question on every seat? Maybe ask why it is or isn't there? Or point out what's required by law (locking clips vs. belt lock-offs built into the seat). Um... Another idea is to talk about rear face tethering and/or latch storage for the anchors???

I think that's all I got. I so wish I could afford to attend Judi. :-( and please please please let me know what you think of the marathon/boulevard 70's cheapness feeling (if you feel it)!

Judi

CPST/Firefighter
um... Can I come?

You like?

Ok, I helped a mama earlier this week and her roundabout (borrowed from reliable source with no manual) was horribly wrong. She bought a locking clip because the seat didn't have one so she assumed it was missing. Could you ask the locking clip question on every seat? Maybe ask why it is or isn't there? Or point out what's required by law (locking clips vs. belt lock-offs built into the seat). Um... Another idea is to talk about rear face tethering and/or latch storage for the anchors???

I think that's all I got. I so wish I could afford to attend Judi. :-( and please please please let me know what you think of the marathon/boulevard 70's cheapness feeling (if you feel it)!

Ok, added. Well, I got that little surprise I may have told you about. Dang, that grip on the bottom!

Louisa

CPST Instructor
please talk about the LBP on the Fronteir, i had few techs working as a team declare it incompatible with a car that it actually fit great in once i showed them the LBP. DOH!

Chrissy

please talk about the LBP on the Fronteir, i had few techs working as a team declare it incompatible with a car that it actually fit great in once i showed them the LBP. DOH!

:eek: Seriously? They didn't know about the LBP? It is printed on the sticker on the side of the seat!!

Louisa

CPST Instructor
no kidding the sticker was RIGHT THERE! i was mildly annoyed as it was 3 student techs and a CPSTI!

Also judi you would be awesome-er (as you are already awesome) if you included info on the infant insert for the new britax, and info on the installation foam block for the combi.
anddd although it sound stupid to the rest of us, i have caught a few radians leaving our checks FF for a kid under 40 lbs without the safestop ARGGG

NannyMom

What about locating the DOM and model number on each seat? And when does the seat expire? Those are things we had to find at our tech update. We also had photos copied car manuals to try finding latch info.

geekKT

TFP - when to use the headrest? Must you use the ARB? I admit I have no clue what you're doing but those are features that are unique to that seat, would techs be familiar with it?

Judi

CPST/Firefighter
Ok, added rep to those that have helped so far. I am sure I will be out soon. :( Will try to catch up soon.

I added another question. Do you all like the seats I piced?

brookity

This may not apply to your neck of the woods but everyone around here wants to use shelf liner! Also, they check for movement by grabbing the seat with both hands and jerking it around. They looked at me like I was nuts when I mentioned the non-dominant hand thing. :twocents:

Oh, and I got shunned for calling it a chest-clip, apparently the only acceptable name is a retainer clip.

Genevieve

CPST Instructor
It might be helpful to make them use the locking clip with the coccoro in addition to locating it, since it's not a normal "h" clip.

equilibrium

I am sorry to butt in on OP's thread but what is LBD? :eek::eek: I'm not a tech so that's my excuse, lol. Nor have I seen a Frontier :)

And now I am not sure if shelf liner is or is not a problem? LOL. I have never heard the term retainer clip..hmm...

Judi

CPST/Firefighter
You mean LBP? Long Belt Path. Come up from the side,in through the center through the back, repeat. Yeah, not describing well right now at all.

And no on the shelf liner.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC