Radian XT in a Pontiac G5? (very similar to Chevy Cobalt)

kristy121

Has anyone done this? We are renting a car and asked for a midsize. Looks like it will be a pontiac G5 or similar. We are planning to take our 2 yr old RF Daughter with us and wondering if anyone has done this install before? The seat is so high up I am hoping it fits ok height wise - It hits the back of the seats in our explorer and Im sure the car is much smaller.

we have a 2009 Radian XT.
Thanks everyone!

Last edited:
ADS

kristy121

Re: Radian XT in a Pontiac G5?

Bump! Anyone? I am really nervous to get there and we cant get the seat to fit! DH says worst case senario we will install in FF for the trip (2 weeks almost) but neither of us has ever installed a FF seat either! and I would really prefer to not have to do that!

Jeanum

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Staff member
Re: Radian XT in a Pontiac G5?

Anyone know about the Radian's compatibility in a Chevy Cobalt? Just bumping this up again to ask in hopes it would help the OP because the G5 is a rebadged Pontiac version of the Chevy Cobalt and they're probably very comparable vehicles.

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
I just had a True Fit in a G5 on Saturday. It fit in the middle alright, but they couldn't have the front seats all the way back.

The car has dedicated center LATCH, so that will make it easier - though you may end up going outboard in order to get a more upright install.

It will install tight anyways - will just be a matter of how it fits between the front seats.

eta: I'm suddenly doubting whether it was a G5 or G6 on Saturday - I remember the parents telling me it was similar to a cobalt though.

jourdysmom

CPST Instructor
I know someone with a 2008 Cobalt and have an XTSL... I can call him tomorrow to see if he will come over so I can try it for you...

kristy121

Thank you very much everyone! I called the rental place this morning and they confirmed they mostly have the G5,caliber or similar for their mid size cars.

Sort of a bummer since I booked on hotwire and it told me at booking it would be a mazda 6 or similar which seems like its quite a bigger car:(

I did have my blvd comfortably in a caliber and I just did a board search and see it has been done but with the passenger seat completely forward.

tjk88

I'm about to buy an XTSL and have a Cobalt. I'm planning on installing it outboard on the passenger side and then if I don't have enough room in the front seat, I'll just sit in the back whenever hubby is driving. Not sure how it fits yet though, so can't tell you how much room there is, sorry.

jerenaud

We've had 3 across, including a rf radian (not xt though, if that makes a difference) in a 2 door cobalt. Horrible to get dd into because of the 2 doors and the front seat was uncomfortably far forward for my husband. But it was possible!

andre149

I just had a True Fit in a G5 on Saturday. It fit in the middle alright, but they couldn't have the front seats all the way back.

The car has dedicated center LATCH, so that will make it easier - though you may end up going outboard in order to get a more upright install.

It will install tight anyways - will just be a matter of how it fits between the front seats.

eta: I'm suddenly doubting whether it was a G5 or G6 on Saturday - I remember the parents telling me it was similar to a cobalt though.

Did the car you installed it in have the screwy latch set up where there is latch for each position but the center and one outboard seat overlap? This is how my 07 G6 is, so unless they've changed that in newer models if it wasn't a weird overlapping latch set up it was probably a G5 :)

mrdhollins

I have a 2008 Chevy HHR which is based on the Cobalt platform. I've tried and tried to fit a Radian XTSL RF in it but given that the husband is 6'3 and I'm 5'9" we can't get it done. We would have to push our seats up too far to fit it back there. We end up eating the dashboard.

If you can get it to work, please let me know what you did!

Thanks!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC