Have y'all seen this? Cybex crash test

glockchick

:eek:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vdb-ZHlgcHw&feature=related"]YouTube - Cybex Solution X Crash-test - front impact - right view[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ukRQqFa31DY&feature=related"]YouTube - Cybex Solution X-Fix Crash-test - front impact - front view[/ame]

ADS

Pixels

I see typical booster performace. The child rolling out of the belt is not at all unusual, and is why I said I was not comfortable with the shoulder belt being so close to the edge of her shoulder in your other thread.

BookMama

Senior Community Member
I agree with Pixels. Also, we have no idea at what speed the test was conducted, do we?

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
Crash tests always look awful. Always.

We don't know the speed of the tests and we don't know what injuries the dummies sustained.

canadiangie

I'm glad I'm not the only one thinking yes this is pretty typical booster seat crash test footage. It's one of the reasons why we talk so much about proper belt fit, and also why the argument that a 5 point harness is less safe... or a booster is more safe... after a certain age and weight is so often debated here. Really, there is a lot of movement in a seatbelt. There's also a lot of movement in a ff 5 point harness. Correct installation, use, fit, etc, basically having everything as 'perfect' as possible pre-crash is the best line of defense in a collision.

glockchick

Thanks. I guess it just surprised me. I was looking for booster vs. 5 pt harness tests.

This is actually a pretty good one I think. I wish the dummies had been the same size though.
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V2kO8AxKbrM"]YouTube - 5 point harness vs. booster seat crash test[/ame]

glockchick

So why do we say a booster is just as safe as a 5 pt harness past a certain age when there is clearly a lot more movement in a booster, not to mention that if a child is listing to one side in a booster, the shoulder belt will probably slide off their shoulder in an accident?

Holy run on sentence! :p

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Well, a child who is listing should be harnessed.

The argument is that there is more movement, but the body and head move together, so there's less head only movement. Plus, I bet that's the 10 year old dummy. A 10 year old has a well ossified skeleton, just a few years away from physical maturity to boot. That amount of movement is why three year olds should not be in boosters, since their bones aren't ossified. Not to mention, they're less likely to be in position.

I don't say that one is safer than the other. I say there are no data to show that a harness is safer than a booster, or the other way around.

Wendy

glockchick

Well, a child who is listing should be harnessed.

I was thinking last night when I couldn't fall asleep ;), maybe the reason Abigail leans towards the center is because Caleb's seat compresses the vehicle seat and causes her booster to tip that direction and she just goes with it.

We took a short ride in the TB last night and when I looked back, the belt looked like it does on the PW. I know it fits her well when she first gets in so that's the only explanation I could think of. She knows the safety rules and does her best to sit right so I know she's tries. She even told me last night while we were driving that the belt wasn't touching her shoulder.

Pixels

Did anyone notice how the smaller kid didn't roll out of the seat belt like the older child? :confused:

Based on the TC videos, it's somewhat (seemingly) random. A lot has to do with the belt geometry, the physics of the crash, the size of the dummy . . .
TC even showed that the same dummy, in the same booster, in the same vehicle, with apparently identical seatbelt geometry, different seating positions were different. One case the shoulder belt was mounted further back (outboard), but in the other case the shoulder belt was mounted on the vehicle seat (center). In one case, the dummy rolled out, and in the other the dummy stayed put. I don't remember which is which, but I'm not sure that it really matters. Beyond making sure the shoulder belt is not near the edge of the shoulder, there's nothing that I see that I can control or use to predict which scenarios are likely to result in a roll-out.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC