Tech won't listen to me!

mrswhite

I went to this playgroup and they had a carseat safety tech come in to talk about car seats and I was really hoping she would talk about ERF. She says "so you have to keep them rear facing until 12months then you can turn them forward" and I raised my hand like a good little homeschooler;) and said "can you talk about the importance of rear facing past 12 months..." She was obviously taken aback "OH... umm.. good question... car seats have higher weight limits these days than they used to, so you can have them rear facing for longer but you have to watch how tall the child is because they can outgrow the seat and you don't want their legs touching the back of the seat. Think about what could happen in an accident!" Then someone else piped up and said "I saw a video someone posted on facebook and it showed kids all scrunched up in the back seat and it said "better to have broken legs than a broken neck"" but acted like it was obviously craziness, as did everyone else. So I said "No, seriously guys- its 500% safer to rear face up to 4 years old" then tech interrupted me before I could say "2 year minimum" and said "OH NO... you can't rear face at 4 years old car seats don't go that high." So I said right, you have to have the right seat since all of the other moms had buckets and she said something about seats from england are good ones. I said "you can't import car seats... its illegal" then she said no, they sell them at babies 'r us "but those seats are really expensive..." back to talking about how to install a seat. I didn't say anything else because she kept interrupting every.single.thing.I.said. and was obviously trying to get me to shut up so she could get on with her presentation. BLAAAAHHHH I'm soooo furious I can't stand it!!! So after she left- the play group leader was like "so.. do you use a convertible car seat?" and I said yes but that, "you can get the Cosco Scenera for $50 at walmart that rear faces to 35lbs because its 500% safer... SO ITS IMPORTANT!" And she was like "well... thats one option". :-/ I'm seriously considering taking information into that car seat tech on how much safer rear facing is... Do you think she would listen if I printed off studies and gave them to her?! Sooo... someone spam me with car seat safety research. Are there any techs on here in the colorado springs area that she would maybe listen to??

ADS

andre149

Number one... she needs to be reported to safe kids if she is certified; she is very clearly giving out false information (legs, really?)

Number two... I would try to get someone in there that actually has an idea what they're doing :)

annb

The same kind of thing happened to me when we had firemen talk to our mothers group. They gave lots of bad information. To top it off, in our groups newsletter the next week it said not to challenge the speakers. Ummm, they were giving unsafe advice. :mad:

NannyMom

Number one... she needs to be reported to safe kids if she is certified; she is very clearly giving out false information (legs, really?)

Number two... I would try to get someone in there that actually has an idea what they're doing :)

:yeahthat: I don't know if it's jsut my coalition, but I was told Safe Kids is really pushing rear facing until 2 this year. Some of the instructors told us before a recent check she didn't want to hear ANYONE say anything about 1 and 20.

I bet the European seats she was thinking of are the Britax. Clearly, she doesn't know much about seats.

L

LuciaBella

That lady is crazy. See if she's even certified through Safe Kids. I had a bad experience with a tech that had not updated his certification in 2 years, but found out after he told me to do all these crazy things.

Judi

CPST/Firefighter
Damn, maybe I do need to do that other mommy's group that called. But 200 people? Yikes!

My3Ls

Im not surprised. I went to a carseat check and I had my then 13 month old rfing and she wanted to turn him around. I said no he is safer that way. She said well I think you have to turn them around at 12 mo/20 lbs How much does he weigh? She had just taken the course that week and was working her 1st carseat check. The instructor came by just then and she asked him about it. He said oh no! They can rear face as long as the seat allows! I was thinking was she not listening in class? Does she need to go back.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC