Question A few random questions

C

Camama

Hi mamas,

I have a few questions...

#1 - we have an evenflo triumph advance. It was never fun installing it rear facing, but now that he's forward facing I've noticed a few issues.
a) our 2000 toyota forerunner has no anchor in the middle seat and the lap belt slides and won't lock (how is that safe for a passenger??) so I had to put it on the drivers side with a three point belt. When I tighten the belt, I can't get it tight enough (it's tight enough that the car seat doesn't move when wiggled, but I still feel it needs to be tighter). Where the seat belt comes out of the car seat near the buckle, it will only tighten to a certain point and then the buckle and car seat are in direct contact and I can't get any more through.
b) they retrofitted an anchor in the back on the floor but it's not in the middle of the car seat, it's more to one side, is this ok??
c) how do you solve that tilting problem? the car seat is in but when you tighten the belt it tilts to one side?

#2 - we're thinking of using this seat for our next baby and would have to get him a booster anyway so we're considering getting a car seat that doubles as a booster. what is the consensus on the best combo seat? I like the graco nautilus so far but I'm curious what others think. keep in mind that this needs to have a side impact feature since I can't put it in the middle.

#3 - I was watching the videos of car seat testing on transport canada and was quite shocked. I was always under the impression that the britax was the best of the best but when I saw the videos it showed some of the britax booster seats actually BENDING during impact shoving the dummies' heads into their laps, and it says this exceeds canadian safety standards?? how can this be? I know all seats have to meet minimum standards, but it appears from the videos that some are MUCH safer than others. now I'm more confused than ever.

#4 - my mother in law wants to get a car seat for her car for the odd time she takes him, but obviously nothing too expensive. it would also have to be a drivers side car seat so side impact is important. any recommendations?

ADS

QuassEE

Moderator - CPST Instructor
Can you post back with your child's height, seated height (bottom of bum to shoulder), and weight? Age may also be helpful here. It's actually impossible to make any recommendations without this information.

-Nicole.

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
#3 - I was watching the videos of car seat testing on transport canada and was quite shocked. I was always under the impression that the britax was the best of the best but when I saw the videos it showed some of the britax booster seats actually BENDING during impact shoving the dummies' heads into their laps, and it says this exceeds canadian safety standards?? how can this be? I know all seats have to meet minimum standards, but it appears from the videos that some are MUCH safer than others. now I'm more confused than ever.

I don't know what tests you watched, but please keep in mind that crash tests always LOOK awful. What matters is how the dummies look *after* the tests. A bendy seat may be just fine -- it may do a fine job of preventing serious injury.

Having written that, there is absolutely no reason to believe Britax is the best of the best.

C

Camama

He's just about 2 and 28 pounds, I haven't measured him in months but I can only guess he's around 35" tall? He's always been quite tall but skinny for his age. And yes I know I should rear face him for as long as possible (that's why we got the evenflo with the really high RF weight limit) but after 2 years I can't take the screaming in the car anymore so I turned him around and he's quiet. Honestly I would arrive at my destination after 45 minutes of screaming at times crying and shaking because I was so upset listening to it, so I made the call to turn him around as IMHO it's safer for both of us.

C

Camama

I don't know what tests you watched, but please keep in mind that crash tests always LOOK awful. What matters is how the dummies look *after* the tests. A bendy seat may be just fine -- it may do a fine job of preventing serious injury.

Having written that, there is absolutely no reason to believe Britax is the best of the best.

yes, they do look awful :(

these are the videos I saw: http://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/roadsafety/...ty-programs-testing-booster-bodyguard-943.htm

a full list of all the videos is here:

http://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/roadsafety/...rograms-regulations-research-research-887.htm

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC