Chest Clip breaking on Chaperone?

little_arrows

We have a chaperone for our 4 month old DD and my brother and SIL brought the same seat for my 3 month old niece on my recommendation-we have always used and loved Britax. Well my niece's chest clip broke! :( She has only been in her carseat maybe 25-30 times and it just broke...when my SIL called thre company they said they would send a replacement that was "much sturdier"...I also called the company and asked about it ...I was told they found out the design on the chest clip was such that there is a weak place that can break.

:eek:Why dont they have to do a recall and send new chest ckips to everyone then? What if some baby's chest clip breaks for the first time in a bad accident? :(

ADS

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
Chest clips are precrash positioners, not required by the government testing standard, and only put on seats to ensure that parents make sure to keep the harness snugly on the shoulders. And, most of them break in a crash, or bend a lot, or move way down. It's not a very big deal, that's why Britax is just sending out a new one and not issuing a massive recall. Annoying when they break, though, I hear ya on that!

christineka

:eek:Why dont they have to do a recall and send new chest ckips to everyone then? What if some baby's chest clip breaks for the first time in a bad accident? :(

Chest clips are just intended to be pre-crash positioners. They very likely will break in an accident and that is okay.

Aurezalia

:yeahthat:
Like PP's said, it's quite likely chest clips will break in an accident anyway. They're pre-crash positioners is all. However, the likeliness of them breaking in an accident in why it's imperative a chest clip is properly positioned over the sternum and not the soft stomach.

little_arrows

:love: THANK YOU so much for taking the time to tell me this! I feel so much better knowing that-I was seriusly stressing about this!:eek: I had this awful mental image of a clip breaking and some poor baby coming out of the carseat :(

I hope this isnt (another!) stuped question...if it is just a pre-crash positioner, how bad it it if the clip isnt in the right place? (It always drives me batty to see babies in seats with the chest slip super low...) That IS dangerous, right?

EDit-you answered my question as I was typing-thank you!!

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
It's probably not too bad if it's in the wrong place and the harness is still otherwise used properly (though it could spread the harness out too far off the shoulders if it's pushed down). It's the floppy loose harnesses that usually accompany the 'belly clip' that give me the worries :(

:)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC