2011 Toyota Highlander Hybrid: 7 Seats with Safety and Fuel Economy?

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
Toyota just rolled out the 2011 Highlander Hybrid. They've increased the fuel economy from 27city/25highway to 28/28. Also, they've finally made it useful for families by making the third row seat with a split folding feature. The middle second row seat can be used, folded, removed or replaced with a console. Otherwise, it is basically unchanged from the current model that is an IIHS Best Bet and got good results in the NHTSA crash tests. It is scheduled for testing from the NHTSA for the updated 2011 testing protocol, too. I hope to have one to review on the blog by the end of the year.

They even put the bonus features I'd want standard in the base hybrid: foglights and bluetooth audio. Now if only they bring back the bright blue color from a few years ago and if I could figure out how to get one in my garage on a long term basis!

http://pressroom.toyota.com/pr/tms/toyota/toyota-highlander-crossover-gets-172062.aspx

Great job, Toyota! Finally someone is making a 7-seater with good fuel economy and flexible seating that isn't a minivan!

It's sad that a 4500 pound SUV can do get nearly 30 mpg in the city with AWD, but we have yet to see any minivans that could presumably do even better with a smaller V6, front wheel drive and better aerodynamics.

• Revised Styling with New Front Fascia, Hood and Fenders
• New Standard Three-Row Seating with Rear Climate Control
• Four-Cylinder Engine Availability Expanded
• More Powerful and Advanced V6 for Highlander Hybrid
• New User Technology

"The 2011 Highlander Hybrid is more easily distinguished from the gasoline model by its own unique grille and bumper design. It shares the new fenders and hood with the gas Highlander but features color-keyed rockers with chrome accents, plus vertically stacked fog lamps. The projector beam headlights and redesigned taillights feature blue lens covers. Daytime running lamps are now standard on all Highlander models."

"The Highlander Hybrid base grade offers a new Leather Package that includes leather-trimmed front seats with front seat heaters, leather-trimmed steering wheel and shift knob, power moonroof, HomeLink®, auto-dimming rearview mirror with compass, plus an engine immobilizer with security alarm. The optional navigation system is now available for the SE grade (previously only on Limited), while the Limited gains standard automatic climate control for the rear and offers a new perforated leather. The Highlander Hybrid Base grade gains standard easy-clean fabric seating, along with an eight-way power driver’s seat, the Tech Audio, the third-row seat and manual rear climate control."

"The Highlander Hybrid model’s Hybrid Synergy Drive features a new, more powerful 3.5-liter V6 for 2011, replacing the previous 3.3-liter V6. The system pairs the gasoline V6 engine with a high-torque electric drive motor-generator for total system output of 280 net horsepower. A second rear-mounted motor provides automatic on-demand four-wheel drive traction. The 2011 Highlander Hybrid receives EPA estimated fuel economy ratings of 28 MPG city and 28 MPG highway.

The 4WD Highlander Hybrid uniquely generates rear-wheel power with a separate electric motor (MGR) that provides additional drive torque on demand. Thus, the Highlander Hybrid 4WD-i system does not require power-transfer gearing or a driveshaft from the front. The system electronically varies front and rear torque distribution depending on traction conditions.

Activating an EV mode switch located on the front center console allows the driver to operate strictly in electric-mode under certain conditions for a limited distance at low speeds, or in some stop-and-go driving conditions. A new ECON drive mode switch activates a throttle control program that reduces the throttle response during acceleration, enhancing fuel economy. The Hybrid System Indicator in the instrument gauge panel provides the driver with a guideline to help maximize fuel consumption."

"The Highlander Hybrid employs the advanced Vehicle Dynamics Integrated Management (VDIM) system. VDIM is designed to enhance handling, traction and braking systems that normally react to vehicle driving conditions by anticipating tire slippage before a skid, slide or wheel spin occurs and helps to make corrections in a smooth, progressive way. In addition to integrating all of the Highlander's dynamic control systems (VSC, TRAC, BA, EPS, EBD and ABS), the VDIM system also employs powerful proprietary software to integrate the Electronic Throttle Control with intelligence (ETC-i) and Electronically Controlled Brakes (ECB).

All Highlander models incorporate a corner-braking feature. Harnessing the integration of the vehicle’s dynamic control systems, this feature limits brake pressure on inside wheels during cornering to help enhance control through the turn. Standard on all models, Hill-Start Assist Control helps prevent the vehicle from rolling backward from a stop by applying braking pressure for approximately two seconds."

"The Base and SE grades feature a center console, shift knob with silver-painted accents and front driver and passenger assist grips. The center console, shift knob and assist grip on the Limited grade feature wood grain-style trim. Styling features on the inside of the Highlander Hybrid include a silver and wood grain-style interior trim with chrome door handle accents, Optitron meters with blue graphics and a power meter with a hybrid system indicator."

ADS

murphydog77

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Thanks! That may go back on my list. The previous body style was so bland that it was just blah to look at and was enough for me to completely discount in my search.

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
Thanks! That may go back on my list. The previous body style was so bland that it was just blah to look at and was enough for me to completely discount in my search.

Funny thing is I think the updated front end is worse looking than the previous one, at least in the hybrid trim.

murphydog77

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Yeah, it's hard to tell from those pics, though. But if it's like the Sequoia, then eugh! They bumped the hood up so high on that I'm amazed anyone can see over it.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC