I didnt think this was true

broken4u05

http://www.elitecarseats.com/New-on-ECS/5-point-harness/index.cat

When reading this it says.
There are certain model car seats that allow you to “double up” and use BOTH the lap/shoulder belt restraint and a LATCH system to secure the car seat. While not necessary, the option is available.

I didnt think this was true and no seat can be used with both? I dont know if any one else has seen this or talked about this but when looking for info on my paper i saw this

ADS

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
I didn't click the link -- but ... a CarGo I had allowed the user to keep the LATCH hooked while using as a booster (other manuals for the CarGo did not, though): so maybe that's what they mean :confused:

LuvBug

thats what I was thinking... that its a booster that is allowing you to use latch to secure it while using the seatbelt...

it isnt true though, no car seat allows you to use both at the same time. There are a couple boosters that allows you to latch it in the car, or use the top tether with it.

broken4u05

That is what i was thinking too but they way she wrote it was to use both for a car seat. Or that is how i read it

LuvBug

that is how it sounds, that there are harness seats that allow to use both... but there arent. I suppose you could write them and let them know ;)

broken4u05

I will write them when i have more time. I am looking up information for my class tomorrow so i am not looking stupid in class. lol there is just so much information i can give i do not know how to put it all together

Michi

Maybe the Safeguard Go?
Can't you use LATCh on the lower part and use a seatbelt when using it as a backless booster?

Jeanum

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Staff member
Right, the Go allows it, and so does the Jane Indy Plus. Graco CarGos (mine from mid-2004 at least) only allows the top tether to be used in belt positioning booster mode, not the lower LATCH anchors. IIRC, the Canadian Clek low back booster also allows the lower LATCH anchors to be used (and it's supposed to be coming to the U.S., woohoo!)

Kellyr2

Yeah, but it looks like what that is saying, is that it's okay to double up on ways to secure the seat - not use latch to secure the seat and seatbelt to secure the child.

That article is talking specifically about 5 pt harness seats, not boosters. So they're saying some 5 pt harness seats allow you to use both methods to install the seat at the same time .

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
Under 'contact us' they have the email to a cps tech, I suggest copying and pasting that sentence and emailing it to them and asking WHAT they are talking about? (we shouldn't all do it...I was about to, but have to take care of the baby :)

Amaris

I emailed to ask what seat they were talking about and here's the response I got in return. I did copy and paste the paragraph that said that so I'm not sure why she couldn't figure out where it came from.

Gosh I am not sure where you seen on our site, that it says there are some car seats that can use both the LATCH and Lap and Shoulder belt to install a car seat. As the Child Passenger Safety Tech for the site, I can assure you that there isn't one out there that recommends that you do both. The reason for that is because in both the manufacturer's testing, and the NHTSA compliance testing, they are not tested that way. All car seats are tested with just the LATCH or just the lap and shoulder belt. As for the weight limits for LATCH, that also depends on what they test that limit to. There is the Safeguard Go booster seat, which has the five point harness until 60 lbs. This car seat can ONLY be installed with LATCH, and its limit is 60 lbs. So, its not recommended that parents do any "doubling" up when installing their car seats. I hope this helps, let us know if there is anything else we can help you with!

Thanks!

Jessica
info@EliteCarSeats.com
EliteCarSeats.com
1-800-891-3857

Amaris

Not yet. Just curious.....have you ever had someone actually use the word gosh in a sentence?!?!

Amaris

I just replied with this: Here's the link to the page on your site that has that on it. The paragraph that I quoted is near the bottom.
http://www.elitecarseats.com/New-on-ECS/5-point-harness/index.cat
I'm not sure exactly what context the sentence *There are certain model car seats that allow you to “double up” and use BOTH the lap/shoulder belt restraint and a LATCH system to secure the car seat.* was meant to be taken in if it doesn't mean that there are seats out there that allow you to use both, but that's the way I would take it.

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
I emailed to ask what seat they were talking about and here's the response I got in return. I did copy and paste the paragraph that said that so I'm not sure why she couldn't figure out where it came from.

Gosh I am not sure where you seen on our site, that it says there are some car seats that can use both the LATCH and Lap and Shoulder belt to install a car seat. As the Child Passenger Safety Tech for the site, I can assure you that there isn't one out there that recommends that you do both. The reason for that is because in both the manufacturer's testing, and the NHTSA compliance testing, they are not tested that way. All car seats are tested with just the LATCH or just the lap and shoulder belt. As for the weight limits for LATCH, that also depends on what they test that limit to. There is the Safeguard Go booster seat, which has the five point harness until 60 lbs. This car seat can ONLY be installed with LATCH, and its limit is 60 lbs. So, its not recommended that parents do any "doubling" up when installing their car seats. I hope this helps, let us know if there is anything else we can help you with!

Thanks!

Jessica
info@EliteCarSeats.com
EliteCarSeats.com
1-800-891-3857

She thinks the Go can only be installed with LATCH? Man, she needs to do her research more!

Amaris

Here's the reply I received: Ok, sorry I must have just misunderstood you. There are a few Booster seats that have latch. There is the Jane Indy Booster seat that has latch, and you have to use the lap and shoulder belt. You can check it out here.

http://www.elitecarseats.com/catalog/search_command.cmd?keyword=jane

But this is about it. There isnt a 5 pt harness car seat that has that feature at least that we sell or that we have heard of. But there is this one booster seat. I hope this helps, let us know if there is anything else we can help you with!

Thanks!

Jessica
info@EliteCarSeats.com
EliteCarSeats.com
1-800-891-3857

twokidstwodogs

She thinks the Go can only be installed with LATCH? Man, she needs to do her research more!

I thought that too (since we've installed our Go with a belt before!), but I'm sure she meant that it requires a top tether and wasn't thinking about the fact that people get top tethers anchors retrofitted in cars without LATCH. But that's important, because there might be people out there with older cars who don't realize they can get a top tether anchor installed, and so who rule out the Go when it might be a great seat for them.

Starlight

Senior Community Member
I emailed her too:

Hi! I just saw the Importance of a 5 point Harness youtube video, and I really really want to keep my kids in harness seats! I just read your article about the video and you said "There are certain model car seats that allow you to "double up" and use BOTH the lap/shoulder belt restraint and a LATCH system to secure the car seat." I need to know - which seats are these? I want to keep my kids as safe as possible, and I'm really worried about the seatbelts alone!

Thanks!

Response:

There is one seat that we have on our site, its the Jane Indy Booster seat that allows you to use the latch, as well as the lap and shoulder belt. You can check it out here http://www.elitecarseats.com/catalog/search_command.cmd?keyword=jane. But nothing with a five point harness where you can install the seat using both. The reason why they dont recommend using both is just because it isnt tested that way, and they dont know what would happen if you did.

I hope this helps, let us know if there is anything else we can help you with!

My reply:

OH! Well that's disappointing.

I wouldn't have even thought about doubling up until I read your article.

Maybe you should change your article to specify booster seat cause it really sounds like you mean regular carseat.

"There are certain model car seats that allow you to "double up" and use BOTH the lap/shoulder belt restraint and a LATCH system to secure the car seat"

I really want my kids in harnessed seats, so I guess I'll keep looking.

Thanks.

Her response:

No problem, I will inform the site manager. Let us know if there is anything else we can help you with!

Amaris

Hopefully they will change it. Maybe I didn't explain what I was talking about well enough, but I thought I got the point across!

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
I thought that too (since we've installed our Go with a belt before!), but I'm sure she meant that it requires a top tether and wasn't thinking about the fact that people get top tethers anchors retrofitted in cars without LATCH. But that's important, because there might be people out there with older cars who don't realize they can get a top tether anchor installed, and so who rule out the Go when it might be a great seat for them.

Yeah, she should be careful to use the proper terminology...top tethers are not LATCH... Top tether anchors have been in cars since 9/1/99, lower anchors started to phase in around 2001/02... I really think she thinks it needs to be installed with both upper and lower anchors, just from the way she said it (and the box does say, 'designed for LATCH!', but she could read further...)

:)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC