RSTV or GN

mburks26

Which would last longer?
DD 5 45-50lbs 16 to 17 inch torso

I need a RSTV for a once a week 3 across in a freaking Jetta and money is tight so thinking of selling the GN but only if the RSTV would meet my other needs

Lap only with tether for the next 2 to 3 years as we can not get a new truck until that time. When we need to do 3 across.
and 2 in the Civic until I can get another Vivo or when my dd is ready to go backless. Vivo is the only one that fits hight wise and width wise.
(when we do 2 in the civic now my dd goes in the GN harness outboard with locking clip 95 model it fits only because of the way the bottom is and the head rest is on the 2nd to last spot and will not go up any further. The other dc in Vivo as she has to have the head rest all the way up for the GN in booster )

Would the RSTV last longer the the GN in the lap only spot. The Britax FR 85 would probely last longer then the RSTV but does not fit my other needs.

ADS

Pixels

How much head support do you have for a child in the RSTV? If the Nautilus can give more height than the vehicle alone, then hang on to the Nautilus. You might need to take a tape measure. Measure from the seating area of the Nautilus to the top of the headwings when adjusted as high as YOU can (second slot, I think you said), and measure the vehicle from the seating area to the top of the support for the head.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
Also, the RSTV tether works with some truck tether anchors, but may have compatibility issues with others. What's the tether anchor setup there?

(Oh, and I'd assume you're getting a Large then, right? Because the old-style small is probably outgrown around an 18 inch-ish torso, and the new style is shorter.)

mburks26

Didnt think about that but dd is already about an inch to out grown the harness height before her shoulders are over it though.

mburks26

Also, the RSTV tether works with some truck tether anchors, but may have compatibility issues with others. What's the tether anchor setup there?

(Oh, and I'd assume you're getting a Large then, right? Because the old-style small is probably outgrown around an 18 inch-ish torso, and the new style is shorter.)

I have no idea what size as she may not be 50lbs yet.
I have 3 tethers behind the seats. I asked this along time ago and I was told it shouldnt be an issue. :confused:
If this doesnt work Im so basically out of luck if we have to take 3 after she outgrows the GN. Im the only one that does not allow lap only belts every one else in the family thinks its fine. (including hubby):crying:

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
When you say "behind the seats" what do you mean? Are they the loop kind, or are they the located far down kind, or are they the standard kind?

mburks26

2003 Ford F150 Tethers on back of seat behind at the bottom of the seat.
The 86y would require heavy duty anchor but I dont see any place to install one
That would be so much better cause I could still use the Highback booster for along time as well.
Ill get a pic of the back seat where the tethers are and post after hubby goes to work tonight he thinks im crazy as it is.
Then the 86 y wouldnt work for the 3 across the Jetta either

Last edited:

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
In some vehicles you can put a HDTA in the roof... Might want to look into that.

The anchors in the floor, when we looked at them in Judi's truck (but they were retrofits, not factory installed), seemed like they would likely be incompatible with the RSTV tether, though we didn't actually TRY them... I wouldn't count 100% on them being usable with the RSTV, I'd try them first to make sure. Or maybe someone here has an RSTV and access to an identical truck and can see if there are issues.

Oh, and the 86-Y doesn't require a HDTA until the limit on the installed TA-- which for Ford for a harness only (not conventional CR) is 80 lbs., isn't it? Unless there's an incompatibility there too.

mburks26

my tethers are not on the floor they are on the back of the seat itself at the bottom
Ill take pics
Somone said that Ford did away with using the tether anchor for vest at 80 lbs and it is now 48lb just like for a regular seat. found my other post

From the 2009 LATCH manual, page 146:

LATCH System maximum anchor weight (lb), both lower and tether anchors used: 48

Tether anchor maximum weight with seat belt (lb), when CR instructions allow: Follow CR instructions (see note)

Notes: Change in TA weight limits: previously had been limited to 60 lb with a CR and 80 with a harness/vest.
(From chickabiddy)

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
Ah.

(I'd, uh, still be comfortable using it to at least 60 personally-- if it worked.)

So, is it on the back of the seat and you have to fold it down to access? Or is the seat free-standing and there's room to hook it? I've seen both kinds in trucks.

mburks26

we have to fold the seat down. Per ezon they say not to put the tether under or below the seat so there would be no option to install the heavy duty anchor.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
...unless you can put it in the roof, like I said.

I am not sure the fold-down would work well with the RSTV. It will depend very much on the specific geometry of her in the vest and the vest's tether connecting to the anchor. Definitely need to try it out first.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC