advice for SIL re: seating positions

CatSanders

I am going to help my SIL install her seats tomorrow. She has a new Regent and a new marathon. She has an 04 7 passenger Sienna. The marathon will be RF, then there's the Regent and she has her older boy in a booster. What is the best seating configuration for this? The kids ages are - 5 months (rf marathon); 4 years 8 months (regent) and 7 year old boy in the booster. Also, where can she tether to RF for the marathon in the sienna? Thanks!

BTW- she is moving her 4 year old out of a booster and into the Regent! :2thumbsup:

ADS

CDNTech

Senior Community Member
I would put the Regent behind the Driver in the captain chair. The MA would go in the passenger captains chair with LATCH but moved to the center of the vehicle. The Booster would go in the 3rd row in the center (I think this position has shoulder belts?).

Reasoning:
The Regent would be a seatbelt install and I don't want the seatbelt to interfere (sp?) with anyone getting to the third row, hence, behind the driver.
The Marathon goes in the center because that's the only middle row spot left, and I want clear access to get to the third row, hence, captains chair moved to the middle position.
The reason I would put the MA and the Regent next to each other... the 7 year old is probably in school most of the time, so I'd want the other two closest to me.

I haven't invesitgated the Sienna for RF tether points, but the seat track or belt stalk is a good first place to look.

Edited to add: This would probably only work if the Sienna has two doors... I can't remember if it does or not? If it doesn't have two doors...
The MA would go RF behind the Driver, the Regent would go in the middle row, center position captains chair with LATCH (if he's still light enough) and the booster in the 3rd row. Same reasoning... easiest way to load kids and keep the younger two closest to me.
If the 4 yr old is not light enough for a LATCH install, it would stay in the outboard passenger captains chair and get seatbelted in or go center... whichever is easier for the 7 year old to climb around and get to the third row.

Wow, did I confuse you with all those configurations? I think I confused myself. It's really what's going to work for her... how many times/who does she load/unload?

Last edited:

Jeanum

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Staff member
I concur with the previous poster's advice. Murphydog/Heather has a very helpful online video at http://www.carseatsite.com/tcs.wmv showing exactly where you can RF tether a Britax convertible in the '04 and newer Siennas. You have to pop off a plastic piece from the back edge of the front seat leg and this gives you a perfect spot to use the D-ring connector strap.

The Regent also could be installed in the third row passenger side or or third row center where there are lap-shoulder belts and top tether anchors. Third row center is trickier than outboard due to the shoulder belt's retractor in the van's ceiling, but with two sets of hands it can be done. Our Regent is installed third row center using the long belt path, recline bar and top tether. It's rock solid there and uses every millimeter of the seatbelt.

Happy installing. :)

CatSanders

Thanks ladies!! I talked to her this morning and she has decided to put the baby behind the driver, the booster in the middle 2nd row and the Regent outboard third row so she can fold the other two seats down. I think I have a good idea as to where to tether the marathon. I have never installed one and it seems pretty easy from what I have read. The regents are very easy using the incline bar and long belt path. Goodnes...I am just so excited! hehehehe...now my only issue with her is convincing her to keep the baby RF past 1 year and 20lbs. When I told her the importance she replied with "Well than she cant see the DVD player" :eek: Wish me luck! :2thumbsup:

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC