Question US vs UK car seats

U

Unregistered

I am an American living in the UK for 3 years. I am currently in the process of looking for a convertible car seat for my 6 month old daughter. Many of the car seats I have found here in England, I cannot find in the US, and vice versa. I am wondering what the difference is (if any) between the US and UK car seats. Ideally, I'd like to find a car seat here rather than ordering online from America. Our vehicles are both US spec.

One car seat I am wondering about is the Britax first class plus. I keep seeing it on websites and in stores here but so far have not found it on an American website.

ADS

lenats31

UH, where do I start???:D

No seat in Europe rated for children without disablities is 40 lbs for forwardfacing.

RF seats are 40 lbs and 55 lbs - many are RF exclusively

Britax First Class is RF to 28 lbs. Then forwardfacing.

EU boosters are from 33 lbs to 80 lbs, some of them have Isofix

Isofix is rigid LATCH consisting of metal bars instead of webbing.

It is illigal to use a US seat in Europe and vice versa. They are approved to different standards and go through different tests.

the one in my sig. is a 55 lbs rearfacing limited convertiable. It FFs with the harness to 40 lbs then must be used a s a booster. to 55 lbs. rearfacing is 55 lbs. Britax Multitech. It is the rearfacing version of the Britax Evolva. thre is also the Besafe Izi Combi X3 to 40 lbs both directions to mention a few.

Lena

Adventuredad

Questions should probably read "US v.s European seats" since there is only one car seat standard in Europe:). As Lena said, using a EU seat in US is technically illegal just as using a US seat in EU is technically illegal. US seats offer no safety benefit compared to EU seats while EU seats does offer better safety thanks to the higher rear facing limit of 55 lbs.

The car seat standard in US and EU are similar with the EU standrad being a little stricter.

First Class is a good seat but has the huge drawback of a very low rear facing limit. Kids should sit rear facing until age 4 since the difference in safety is so large. A EU seats very similar to Britax First Class is Britax Hi-Way. It's also compact but has a rear facing limit of 55 lbs and last rear facing until age 4-4.5 years for most kids.. US spec. doesn’t matter, Hi-Way fits equally well in any car.

Great convertible car seats would be Britax Multi Tech and Britax Two-WAy which both allow both rear facing and forward facing until 55 lbs. Absolute minimum age for forward facing is 3 years and 15 kg (although we strongly recommend at least 4 years of age).

May I please ask what cars you drive?

U

Unregistered

Thank you for the responses.

Our cars are a 2003 Buick Rendezvous and a 2010 Volkswagen CC. Both are left hand drive, American spec cars.

As for the legality of US car seats in Europe, I thought that was only when in a European vehicle?

lenats31

Thank you for the responses.

Our cars are a 2003 Buick Rendezvous and a 2010 Volkswagen CC. Both are left hand drive, American spec cars.

As for the legality of US car seats in Europe, I thought that was only when in a European vehicle?

US seats are illigal to use here regardless of what car you are driving. the EU seats just haven´t been tested in those cars is all the car list that comes with every seat here means.

Adventuredad

As Lena mentioned, US seats are technically illegal to use in EU. Doesn't matter if it's a tourist visiting for a day or someone staying for a year. Origin of vehicle is not of importance although there are exceptions for those in the military.

Enjoy your weekend!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC