Check it out: Our own 'momtoacrew' Jodi in the news!

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
http://www.wmtw.com/family/11457371/detail.html

I love that...'upset the wrong mother', lol.

Way to go, Jodi!

"An airline has upset the wrong mother after forcing a certified child safety technician to hold her 6-month-old child on a flight rather than allow him to sit in a child safety seat.
Jodi Polchies, of Gorham, said she was returning to Portland from a child safety conference in Chicago when a U.S. Airways flight attendant informed her that she could not bring her infant car seat on board the final leg of their flight...."

ADS

Patriot201

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
Horray!!!!!!!!! I'm sorry this happened to Jodi, but I hope her experience can help educate some people about airline/airplane safety and rules.

gwenvet

Flight attendants are such morons! After hearing of a number of problems with car seats and flight attendants, I now travel with the FAA rules about carseats, especially RF ones! On my first flight with them I actually had to whip them out to correct the attendant who said that RFing isn't important because the physics of plane crashes are different from car crashes. Well that may be true in the air but I'm more concerned with the ones while taking off and landing. With a crash in the air everyone is SOL. :rolleyes:

southpawboston

that's good that she stuck to her guns and forced the airline to admit their error.

and just for fun, to play devils advocate:

so if they give her a new seat i suppose she will destroy the old one since she doesn't know if it was handled correctly? or will we be seeing it on craigslist??? :question:

Starlight

Senior Community Member
A number of months ago, I asked the FAA if an airline could refuse to allow me to use an (appropriatly labeled, size appropriate) CRS for a ticketed passenger, and this is the response I got, in it's entirety:

"Please report all safety issues to the FAA's Safety Hotline at 1-800-255-1111.

You may also contact the Safety Hotline via email at:

9-Awa-asy-SafetyHotline@FAA.GOV"

This really sucks - I'm sorry Jodi!

JaRylan

So sorry to hear that this happened to her. Too ironic that they chose one of the most carseat educated people possible and too top it off on her return flight from the conference! Can't wait to hear what you get for a new seat. Maybe everyone who is planning on flying should print off a copy of the story to keep inside their manual.

scatterbunny

Wow! :eek: Sorry that Jodi had to deal with that (I think I would have been in tears, too), but maybe it's a very good thing that this happened to a CPST; it's garnering some media attention, at least!

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
Wow! :eek: Sorry that Jodi had to deal with that (I think I would have been in tears, too), but maybe it's a very good thing that this happened to a CPST; it's garnering some media attention, at least!

Very true. Somebody else may not have made a stink about it... at least this way the airline crew is being forced to be re-educated.

So according to the article airlines don't allow toddlers past 20lbs to be in rf'ing seats? Or just in infant carriers - a rf'ing convertible would be ok? :question:

I hope she gets her new seat from them and I'm sorry she had to deal with this.

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
that's good that she stuck to her guns and forced the airline to admit their error.

and just for fun, to play devils advocate:

so if they give her a new seat i suppose she will destroy the old one since she doesn't know if it was handled correctly? or will we be seeing it on craigslist??? :question:

Training seat! Everytime there's a class, the instructors have to pull out a truckload of different seat types for the new students to play with... kind of expensive to buy them new, and no baby's going to ride in it so, voila, new life for otherwise-dead seats :)

gwenvet

So according to the article airlines don't allow toddlers past 20lbs to be in rf'ing seats? Or just in infant carriers - a rf'ing convertible would be ok? :question:

They should be allowing RF of ANY child that fits the requirements of the carseat. Here is exact terminology from the FAA Advisory Circular entitled "Use of Child Restraint Systems on Aircraft" and Dated 12/1/06

18. PLACEMENT OF CRS ON THE AIRCRAFT. CRSs must be installed in forward-facing aircraft seats, in accordance with instructions on the label. This includes placing the CRS in the appropriate forward or aft-facing direction as indicated on the label for the size of the child.

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
They should be allowing RF of ANY child that fits the requirements of the carseat. Here is exact terminology from the FAA Advisory Circular entitled "Use of Child Restraint Systems on Aircraft" and Dated 12/1/06

18. PLACEMENT OF CRS ON THE AIRCRAFT. CRSs must be installed in forward-facing aircraft seats, in accordance with instructions on the label. This includes placing the CRS in the appropriate forward or aft-facing direction as indicated on the label for the size of the child.

I think it's that 'CRSs must be installed in forward-facing aircraft seats...' that confuses the poor FA's... I've heard of this same complaint time and again (no rf seats can be installed) because the FA's just don't understand the differences (of course, the FA seats are rearfacing with 4 pt harnesses, and I've heard some planes have some rearfacing passenger seats, and that is what this particular statement is warning against). :doh:

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC