Three Across '06 Ford Escape (for cheap)

just_lily

I am thinking about getting a couple of seats for my daycare kids so we can start driving places. We have walked everywhere for the last two winters and I am just not all that into doing it again.

My DD is 2yo, about 28lbs and RFing in an original True Fit. I would like to keep her in that seat if possible, and will definitely keep her RFing. She is still on the second harness slots, so has acres of room in that seat.

My youngest daycare kid is 15 months, and I would guess about 22lbs or so. He is FFing in his parents' vehicles but I will insist that he RFs in mine.

My other daycare kid is 2.5, I would guess between 30 and 35lbs and TALL. (Everyone is napping right now so I will try to measure them later.) She is FFing at home as well. I would prefer to move her to RFing but am willing to have her FFing if it makes the difference of puzzling the seats together. I am also unwilling to spend mega-bucks on a high weight limit seat since she won't be in my car all that much, and mainly just within our small town.

I really, really don't want to invest in Radians. I love them, but if that is the only answer we will just keep walking because it is too much money.

Any chance of getting two Sceneras installed along with my TF? Or I see Wal-Mart has Alpha Omegas on for pretty cheap - would one or two of them work?

Also I am pretty sure that I have tethers for each of the outboard seats but not in the middle (I'll check later as well). If I have to put a FF seat in the middle in order to get everyone to fit, can I borrow from an outboard tether?

Thanks so much!

ADS

Stresch

I have on '06 Escape and have three tether anchors. They are on the ceiling. They're pretty hard to miss.

However, I have no clue about the seats. I know you can get a Marathon and a Roundabout facing opposite directions next to each other, but that's all I've done in terms of puzzling.

just_lily

Mine definitely aren't on the ceiling. I know for a fact as I often have to vaccuum the ceiling because it gets covered in dog hair (crazy dogs!). I am sure they are back of the seats, and I am pretty sure there are only two, but I will go out when the kids wake up and make sure.

Weird that yours are on the ceiling and mine are not. I have an XLT... maybe that is the difference? Huh.

QuassEE

Moderator - CPST Instructor
I've owned a Tribute, and done installs in about 10 different Escapes or Tributes and have never seen seatback anchors. They're on the ceiling--three of them. You might be mistaking your cargo hooks for tether anchors? You're right that the Radian is your best bet for three across, but a lot of configurations will work in your car. Can you use the Radian in the centre (installs great RF with LATCH there) and then one cheapie Sceneras outboard and your TF outboard?

Though--I suspect TF+two Sceneras will probably fit, as well.

-Nicole.

dogmelissa

You should check the vehicle manual - it will tell you where the top tether hooks are in your car. It should also tell you if you only have 2 whether or not you can double-up the tethers on it (I suspect not).
But if you can get them all RF, then you don't need to worry about top tethers yet.

If you did invest in one Radian, you could use it for your DD, use the TF (does it RF to 35lbs?) for one of the daycare kids and then potentially get another TF or a scenera for the 3rd. The harness isn't too hard to adjust on the Radian; you could change it if necessary for the heaviest to stay RF & use it for your DD when the others aren't there. Or just keep your DD in her TF. The Radian has such a nice long lifespan that if you don't want to use it for your DD once her TF is outgrown or expired you may still be able to sell it.

HTH,
Melissa

Stresch

I suspect you might be mistaking the hardware to fold down the seat with tether anchors. I looked in my car, which is both American and a hybrid, but probably the same.

The tether anchors are covered with plastic, on the ceiling, and near the rear door.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC